Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 03:16:18
Print Post

Re: X86-64 Intel Security Issue

[re: kitfit1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitfit1:
In reply to a post by Banger:
UserBenchmarks: Game 12%, Desk 31%, Work 18%
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 - 24.5%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 610 - 2.3%
SSD: Crucial MX200 500GB - 38.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - 59.4%
HDD: Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB - 60.6%
HDD: Seagate ST380011A 80GB - 25.3%
RAM: Unknown 4x2GB - 19.2%
MBD: MSI MS-7360

So I have installed the Cumulative Update on my Win 10 Pro 64 bit system and after I run the above benchmark. Before the patch the Desk was 28% and Work 17% although my system has been up a few days it seems faster after the reboot. I am assuming this is the CPU patch but checking on my 32 bit system Win 10 Pro no updates are available.

Can anyone confirm I have the patch on my 64 bit system?

If your update is cumulative it will not have the CPU patch on it yet until next Tuesday. At the moment the patch is only available as a stand alone download for those that want it now. It will be moved to the normal Windows update next Tuesday as part of the normal "Patch Tuesday" updates.

This link from the Verge https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/3/16846784/microsoft... indicates the patch has been released at 5PM ET.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 04:09:02
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?...

Win 10 Patch use at own risk but so far no slow down noticed.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Thu 04-Jan-18 09:54:44
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Additional details from Microsoft - seems that you will not get the patch if you don't have a specific registry key set (i.e. no AV installed)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/imp...

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 10:00:21
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Not sure I read that the same way - essentially you won't get it if you are running unsupported AV that is known to cause blue screens. If you are running supported AV or no AV then the patch should install.
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 04-Jan-18 10:33:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Not sure I read that the same way - essentially you won't get it if you are running unsupported AV that is known to cause blue screens. If you are running supported AV or no AV then the patch should install.

Indeed correct
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Jan-18 13:57:38
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
So I have installed the Cumulative Update on my Win 10 Pro 64 bit system and after I run the above benchmark. Before the patch the Desk was 28% and Work 17% although my system has been up a few days it seems faster after the reboot. I am assuming this is the CPU patch but checking on my 32 bit system Win 10 Pro no updates are available
Presumably there won't be a relevant Windows update for 32-bit systems if the problem is only (as reported) with the 64-bit Intel chips.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 14:17:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Haven't seen anything clear yet that states whether it is a flaw in 64-bit chips running in 32 bit or 64 bit mode or a 64 bit mode flaw. There is a difference - running a 32bit OS on a 64bit chip may still see the issue if the defining factor is the chip architecture.

There still seems to be a lot of guesswork in the press and nothing truly concrete and I suspect it will be a few more weeks before the patching requirements become fully clear.

EDIT : Actually Banger's post does appear to answer that question. One of the downloads from the link Banger provided is for the 32bit version of Win 10 - so it would seem both 32bit and 64bit OSs are impacted.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 04-Jan-18 14:21:44)

Standard User mpellatt
(member) Thu 04-Jan-18 14:49:25
Print Post

There still seems to be a lot of guesswork in the press and nothing truly concrete and I suspect it will be a few more weeks before the patching requirements become fully clear.

The speculation will doubtless rumble on for ages.

Here is the definitive blog post.

Here's a useful set of well-informed thoughts, too.

Also, ignore all the guff doing the rounds about people disclosing early. That's not what happened. Hint: If you read patches, you can deduce what they're there for...

It absolutely is serious. Why else would AWS be rebooting everyone's instances ?

Edited by mpellatt (Thu 04-Jan-18 14:53:15)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 04-Jan-18 15:37:55
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

It's a funny old world. Looking at the past 10+ years of IT attitude changes...MS pretty much forces folk to buy a new license with every new PC, short of paying big bucks for a retail version. Then they add in the short-term support policy for Win 10 updates, forcing users to update (or indeed forcing updates on them).

It all amounts to a very messy situation, and now with this 'new problem', which has interesting issues:

- potential security weaknesses - businesses, users with sensitive data (everyone but kids basically)

- speed issues - mission critical system users, gamers (kids)

Which neatly boxes the entire user base into a mindset of their hardware being [censored] (one comment already mentioned retiring a CPU).

The cynic in me think this is a ploy to reboot (free of charge gag) the IT industry. It may indeed be a legit flaw, but the consumer reactions will delight Intel, AMD and MS (and all the other little hardware and software companies, support industries etc.).

Y2K anyone? https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/266973/global-sem...

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
Why else would AWS be rebooting everyone's instances ?

Again, the cynic in me does wonder. Since Amazon bought Twitch, the ads there have gone crazy. When I used to 'publish to Twitter' from a blog, the Amazon AWS caller (I forget the correct term) hammered the blog, and basically made the first couple of minutes unworkable.

Maybe Amazon hopes to have future hardware ROM-programmed to prevent ad blockers? grin
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Jan-18 19:28:20
Print Post

Haven't seen anything clear yet that states whether it is a flaw in 64-bit chips running in 32 bit or 64 bit mode or a 64 bit mode flaw. There is a difference - running a 32bit OS on a 64bit chip may still see the issue if the defining factor is the chip architecture.

EDIT : Actually Banger's post does appear to answer that question. One of the downloads from the link Banger provided is for the 32bit version of Win 10 - so it would seem both 32bit and 64bit OSs are impacted.

Yes impatient as I am I downloaded the x86 patch and installed it on my 32 bit system so yes its just the way the patch is being rolled out.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to