Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Feb-18 23:41:28
Print Post

Kaspersky pop-up warning

[link to this post]

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 and recently have been getting pop-up warning:-

"Cannot guarantee authenticity of the domain to which encrypted connection is established."

The Application is Internet Explorer and the URL: adobe.com
Reason: Invalid name of certificate. Either the name is not on the allowed list or was explicitly excluded.

Kaspersky's article on this does not really help.

https://support.kaspersky.com/common/errors/12489#bl...

I have done a complete scan, with no problems found.

Could this be Adobe Flash Player looking for updates?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 12-Feb-18 00:44:02
Print Post

Re: Kaspersky pop-up warning

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Windows and IE version? Flash Player version? Kaspersky version?

Sorry, but it might help to narrow things a little.

Use Ccleaner to see if there are Adobe startups, and see what happens if disabled.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Feb-18 12:35:43
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Sorry, here is the missing info:-

Windows 7 64-bit Professional

Internet Explorer 11 Version 11.0.9600.18893

Kaspersky Internet Security 2018

Thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 12-Feb-18 15:42:44
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Thanks for info. It excluded possibility of Windows XP, IE6/7/8 and so on. smile

The causes are for Kaspersky to answer. One person in a link I read (forgot the URL) said they were browsing via proxy, and this might be part of the problem. Proxy or 'private browsing' may or may not affect this at all, but it's something to add to the mix if you DO use it.

Solutions (each becoming slightly more complicated or leaving settings disabled):

1. Add trusted domains that cause the pop-up to managed exclusions (whitelist). Presumably adobe.com is above suspicion (as much as any mainstream software site).

If you're getting these pop-ups for pretty much every SSL site, it's going to be a PITA, so I would consider your browsing habits and decide on security levels vs productivity and risks.

e.g. Opera has an add-on called 'HTTPS Everywhere', which attempts to establish "https" to all URLs, but if you encounter a site without an SSL certificate (my own site doesn't have it, nor a need for it), then you get an unsecured connection block, and either get disconnected, or prompted. Again, a PITA.

Kaspersky link - https://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/errors/12489...

2. Add Kaspersky's software certificate manually to your browser - https://support.kaspersky.com/common/errors/13585

Not too keen on this personally, simply because I don't fully understand the implications of control and security around such a move. It might be really sensible, or it might have unknown security implications. I think it's forcing Kaspersky to trust the browser implicitly. Hmm.

3. Disable the scanning of encrypted connections (supposedly for Parental Control, URL Advisor).

I don't recommend this as a first choice, but it 'should' get rid of all further pop-ups. See link 1 screenshots, "Do not scan encrypted connections". If not using or relying on Parental Control or URL advisor, it might be the easiest option.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Feb-18 11:34:07
Print Post

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

I monitored what I was getting and 99% were adobe.com related. There were occasions with Lloyds Bank on-line banking and a couple of adware like sounding domains.

I was going to add adobe.com to the white list, but failed to locate where that was edited! But strangely(?) the number of occurrences has dramatically dropped, which make me wonder whether the initial occurrences were the result of an erroneous certificate which has since been updated?

I will keep my eye on it and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Mar-18 23:35:56
Print Post

And not another instance since.