Technical Discussion
  >> Security Related Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User grapevine1
(regular) Sat 12-Jan-19 13:02:14
Print Post

stop wifi remotely, ethernet lan to remain on.

[link to this post]

Trouble is that an individual is continually attempting to hack into wifi modem/router, also attempts have been made to enter an HP printer when switched on thro' its wifi.. A wifi scanner was hired to collect evidence of the offenders/Hackers wifi signal from his router, and, watched on an android tablet with wifi analyser having be loaded.
The near property suffering from the attempted hacking into, has previously been a sub 3 Mips at very best (BT long line in poor shape in the country) into an old netgear modem/router which feeds a new ethernet lan to each room as a spiders legs.
Facts;- Within days the property will receive an uplift to broadband from FTTC via it is hoped a better quality length of twisted copper dropwire.into a HUB modem/router which must be replaced.
Suggestion has been once again to purchase another UNLOCKED modem or modem/router and wifi unit so that wifi only can be swithed off when not required for use.
What value for money UNLOCKED modem or modem/router would you purchase that would provide access to full router stats and what separate wifi unit would you fit so that its DC power could be remotely switched or the wifi signal be able to be switched on/off as required without the modem/router or separate wifi unit being physically accessed.. The new copper from the FTTCcab will deliver above 25 Mips
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Jan-19 17:22:32
Print Post

Re: stop wifi remotely, ethernet lan to remain on.

[re: grapevine1] [link to this post]

I could configure my ebay Zyxel VMG8924-B10A to only allow specific MAC addresses to access the Wifi. It will work with ADSL and VDSL. The box can also be configured to allow remote management only from a specific subnet. If that helps!

Michael Chare
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Jan-19 17:50:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by grapevine1:
Trouble is that an individual is continually attempting to hack into wifi modem/router

I assume the existing wifi network is protected by a strong WPA2 password? if not, that would be the first thing you would need to do, irrespective of router. Once you have enabled WPA2 encryption, this makes it quite difficult for the hacker. WPA2 can be hacked but its not something which can be done easily by any wannabe hacker.

In answer to you question, yes wifi can be stopped remotely on routers. You would need to buy a Netgear or Linksys router and use their smartphone app to turn on/off the router's wifi - the smartphone app works through a 3G/4G data connection so no need for the smartphone to be connected to the router in question.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Phicomm K3

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 12-Jan-19 17:52:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User grapevine1
(regular) Sat 12-Jan-19 18:45:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Michael
Thank you so much for the prompt response, Yes I understand what you say we have used wpa2 plus loaded the old modem router (on the long poor quality twisted pair copper line from the exchange) with the MAC adresses that we wish to be the only ones to be accepted. I have had captured and saved live the info of the full details electronic address's etc of the eguipment attempting the multiple attempts to enter our internet connected equipment, and watched as we change wifi channel the culpret follow the changes of channel on 2.4.Gb and the following of the chanel in use by the HP printers. So we now have the evidence.

I have to determine which modem to purchase and that must feed the current ethernet network that has a Giga switch to connect to the printer any laptop etc connected to the ethernt sockets.
Another point I must add is we cannot use the smartphones (on wifi) to print off etc within the property because the mobile mast signal has been lost for the next 3 to 6 months (untill their relocation) by the current development commenced of some 2000 dwellings etc and until the move of the Mob network mast stations, the current signals have diminished to 'zilch' in the property and a very low signal within the curtilage. In the summer months the signals have been reduced for years by the trees that existed in the signal path line, some have now been removed!.We are hoping soon to use the new smartphones thro our new proposed broadband wifi unit.
Finally we want to be able to contiue to switch on the wifi , for security, only when it can be monitored and is required, and off when not which is the current situation. -- Thanks Grapevine1
Standard User grapevine1
(regular) Sat 12-Jan-19 19:27:29
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

baby_frogmella,Yes Thank You,
Yes, I have just purchased some new smartphones with android 8.1 for that purpose.
My intention in this post was to see what others with up to date knoweledge might suggest.for I am very rusty on the subject.
Currently the router on the twisted pair long line likes nothing other than Windows 7 so two Laptops are main and standby for that purpose. but until recently they were required for our professions networks,
Now it appears modem/routers work to windows 8.1 or 10 plus smartphones.etc
Previously we used a windows 7 laptop to switch the modem/router WiFi on/off.
Today a modem/router (obviously locked) has arrived sent by the new broadband provider and we will be TXTed to swap the DSL copper feed from the FTTC cab to their modem/router in the next 10days (which modem will be retained as a standby). What a joy it will be to have a min of 29G Mips of the 36 Max offered.
I wish to once again to purchase our own modem/router as I will be able to monitor remotly the 'router stats' etc for security purposes (until now I had a Mobile panel unit to an external antenae rooftop) for signaling.
May I ask which of the Netgear/Linksys Modems was in your mind as a value for money purchase obviously I never purchase the latest and they woul;d not be for gaming or such geeky purpose.
BW grapevine1
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Jan-19 20:36:24
Print Post

Had another thought: many routers allow you to hide the wifi network names so this might be the best way to go, instead of having to continuously switch on/off wifi.

You then manually type in the network name & password on your wifi client(s) and connect that way. Basically your router becomes 'invisible' to the hacker. It goes without saying choose a very strong wifi network name (SSID) & pw to greatly reduce the risk of the hacker guessing these correctly.

Wrt router choice, if money's no object go for something like the Netgear D7800. Its a great router with top class wifi range/speeds and allows you to hide the SSD. See here, page p98 (turn off 'enable SSID broadcast' setting)

If you want something a bit cheaper, then go for the TP Link VR900v2. It also has an app (where you can switch on/off wifi remotely) and again allows you to switch off wifi network name if you wish. simply tick the 'hide SSID' box. Have a look here at the VR900 emulator:
https://emulator.tp-link.com/Archer_VR900(EU)_V3/ind...

Phicomm K3

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 12-Jan-19 20:37:44)

Standard User grapevine1
(regular) Sat 12-Jan-19 23:22:51
Print Post

Hi F-M
I was just looking at TP Link VR900 and thought must read all this spec so now I have just looked at your last post with the V2 ----VR900V2 will look in the early hours when I have been a little refresed
Id been keen before I posted this strand to go for a seperate wifi unit for 2.4 and 5 Ghz but maybe I can be persuaded to go down this VR900V2 route. I dont really want to self design and construct modules like I did before the commercial technology has advanced so much since 2012/3.I cant forget all my years in research with a soldering iron before I got booted upstairs.
You have some extremely constructive posts over time clearly hands on!. If you wish to PM me go ahead.
This could all get very interesting technically Ive been hands off this topic for more than three years. A number of advances have missed my gaze because of otherwork.The cost of the latest commercial gear maybe somewhat excessive I fearand especially if you are not using it for gaming or geeky.
Starting to burn some midnight oil again BW & Thanks
Grapevine1
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Jan-19 09:54:14
Print Post

The VR900V2 is a great all-in-one router for the money. I normally do recommend having a separate modem & router but only if you like to have a powerful router with advanced features such as OpenVPN, Plex server or installing third party firmware such as DD-WRT which gives you almost unlimited config options. However for a regular user who just wants to setup the router and forget about it, an all-in-one router such as the VR9000V2 would be perfect. I recommend buying it from Amazon as you have 30 days hassle free returns and also its on sale for £99.99 (usual price is £120+)

Phicomm K3
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-19 15:28:56
Print Post

Had another thought: many routers allow you to hide the wifi network names so this might be the best way to go, instead of having to continuously switch on/off wifi.

If someone has been persistent then this won't help at all, and can cause as many problems for legit users of the wi-fi network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Jan-19 15:30:44
Print Post

If you have evidence, then since hacking wi-fi can see you arrested, reporting to the police might be an avenue, i.e. its likely that someone is wandering around trying different networks for holes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to