User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tomarru
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-08 15:15:04
Print Post

Sky blocking torrents completely.

[link to this post]

Been having a headache all morning for the first time with sky, none of my torrents would transfer anything in any direction, switched ports, rebooted router etc etc and nothing worked.

Then i turned on encryption and voila, torrents work again. This is a horrific day, gonna have to go looking for a new provider again, after being so happy with sky they come out with this two faced decision, one one side they are now unlimited, on the other they are blocking torrents...
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Sep-08 15:35:27
Print Post

Re: Sky blocking torrents completely.

[re: Tomarru] [link to this post]

Are you on LLU or Connect?

My torrents are working fine with it on and off, I'm on Connect.

Although they are VERY slow with encryption off!

Virgin Media
Broadband XL
20413 kb/s 719 kb/s
http://www.speedtest.net/result/295238398.png

Edited by BuckleZ (Tue 16-Sep-08 15:36:09)

Standard User BasilBrush
(committed) Tue 16-Sep-08 15:35:34
Print Post

youve kept up with news heres one story

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3631-bpi-and-six-major-broadband-providers-sign-agreement.html

answer dont use public trackers use private ones with a key then all they know is its traffic and yes then encryption is not necessary

Edited by BasilBrush (Tue 16-Sep-08 15:37:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tomarru
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-08 16:16:25
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Im on LLU. I had seen that story a while ago but i never thought a blanket ban on torrents would be put in. Im gonna start shopping around then, any reasonable isps out there that offer good speeds and dont throttle?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Sep-08 16:36:12
Print Post

It may not be a blanket ban, but rather traffic management and this when restricting torrent speeds with some systems create the impression of a block

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tomarru
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-08 16:43:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I dunno, 0bps screams of an attempt to completely block torrents and thats on any of the ports i have attempted to use, it takes forever to form even a single connection and in the event that the speed does start to increase it quickly drops straight back to 0.
This is the first issue ive had since joining sky over a year ago and i thought the market had grown up but it seems not.

I just fired up vuze and my torrents are all sitting at 0 connections and 0 transfer speed after 10 mins...
Standard User gstapleybo
(legend) Tue 16-Sep-08 18:20:08
Print Post

Just fired up Azureus and already upto 250kB/s, no transport encryption or anything, on Sky Max. You sure you aren't blocking your own ports or you have turned off something?

GAZZZzzz...

I'm not the cause of stress but I am the carrier
RouterTech DMT tool
givemespam99@yahoo.co.uk
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Sep-08 18:58:26
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

torrents will slow down with encryption off as a lot of people now reject non encrypted peers.
Standard User Tomarru
(regular) Tue 16-Sep-08 20:41:55
Print Post

[re: gstapleybo] [link to this post]

It aint me, believe me, ive been a torrent user since they first appeared and been jumping isps as they have been throttled (Pipex). Last night i downloaded an album off ocremix (free game music remixes) and was seeding it fine last night. Then today my torrents just ain't moving, i've changed nothing on my end so it HAS to be sky, and it just happens to coincide with their no FUP rubbish. If it doesnt fix itself by tomorrow im gonna give them a ring and find out why im being shafted.

Edit: Oh and this machine is a DMZ so i KNOW im not blocking ports anywhere.

Edited by Tomarru (Tue 16-Sep-08 20:42:59)

Standard User sej
(experienced) Tue 16-Sep-08 21:46:30
Print Post

Its definitely not a global block else this board would be very busy, I've just tested a ubuntu download and utorrent is working fine, I havenít heard of Sky specifically throttling individual users to zero so I can only assume the problem is likely at your end, maybe a firewall problem.

Have you tried utorrent (even temporarily) it works fine with upnp no need to setup port forwarding.
Good Luck
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to