User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BorisBlank
(learned) Wed 25-Aug-10 11:04:00
Print Post

Re: Sky still unbundling

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

I used the landline checker for my exchange and it said the usual "Great news....!" message.

I then used check my address , confirmed it, only to then receive a different message saying "At present we are unable to provide our Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited products in your area...." with no mention of any future upgrade. Both checkers can't be right, so Sky do indeed have a get out of Jail free card should folks complain about not getting LLU'd - "oh dear, the software messed up"

I'm definately complaining to OfCom as suggested, I almost fell for this and its at best deliberately misleading and at worst just plain lies!
Standard User chris6273
(regular) Wed 25-Aug-10 15:57:25
Print Post

[re: BorisBlank] [link to this post]

Boris,

Exactly the same happened to me - Phone number says LLU and Address says not going to be LLU'd.

6784kbps Throughput:
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Aug-10 21:25:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris6273:
Hi warweezil,
When you say 'Add my exchange to the list' what do you mean exactly?
Cheers
The guy I spoke to at OFCOM said that if I knew anyone in other areas that were also getting this message from the checker then it would be useful for OFCOM to be told as it would help them decide if this was just a glitch affecting a few exchanges or something potentially more worrying that would need investigating.

OFCOM now have powers to deal with mis-selling by ISP's, and the guy I spoke to agreed that signing people up on the promise of "imminent unbundling" - which didn't then happen - could be something for OFCOM to look at if it was a widespread practice. My suspicion here is its a deliberate attempt by Sky to mislead - they want market share even if it means loading even more people onto an already overloaded "up-to 8 meg" service. I bet they wouldn't be willing to release anyone from contract if (when) the promised unbundling doesn't happen.

I hope I am proven wrong.. it would mean we get unbundled at last - but considering a 40 odd line exchange in a tiny coastal village near here is on the list for unbundling I have a feeling its just a pipe-dream...or something worse.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chris6273
(regular) Thu 26-Aug-10 16:38:47
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Just took it again and it has changed to saying nothing about an upgrade. Has it done the same for anyone else?

6784kbps Throughput:
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Aug-10 17:18:55
Print Post

Just took it again and it has changed to saying nothing about an upgrade. Has it done the same for anyone else?

My exchange was due to be enabled back in 2006/2007, Sky gave me £5 a month connect and promised id be on LLU before June of that year. Of course it never happened so i moved away else where. They finally enabled my exchange last month and i'm moving back over at the start of September

TalkTalk Pro 24mb ADSL2+
20720kbps / 1019kbps
Standard User BorisBlank
(learned) Thu 26-Aug-10 18:44:23
Print Post

Yep, same here, no reference to upgrade at all now which in the case of my exchange will be correct given the few people on it.

Very annoying this, I'm sure more than a few people will have been fooled by the misleading information including myself!

Edited by BorisBlank (Thu 26-Aug-10 18:46:43)

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Aug-10 18:50:52
Print Post

[re: BorisBlank] [link to this post]

Message has gone on mine now.

Ahh well never mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

XILO Office 8Mb
Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Thu 26-Aug-10 22:48:47
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Same on mine, message disappeared this is despite me contracting sky by email and having 2 emails back insisting that the work was going ahead, I did tell them that I thought it was a ploy to attract more customers and that in my view it was deceitful and that I would believe it when it happened and that I was very suspicious that it would happen at all.
I was told I was wrong and that numerous exchanges were being upgraded but they couldn't give a timeframe, although when I've thought about it, it did say "in your area" not necessarily in your exchange so it didn't ring true from the start

freeserve freedom2ssurf<n>ildramZeN o2AccessZeN plusnetidnet

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Aug-10 10:01:06
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Spoke to someone at OFCOM this morning. Less helpful than the last guy, but he says that OFCOM wouldn't have acted upon this yet and if anything it would have been the ASA - as it was advertised on the site. I feel that this shows where OFCOM is unfit as a regulator - the information was generated as a result of a line check of a specific number - NOT as a general advert.

As ever - UK consumers have little protection against blatant abuse from big companies. Sky have lost any chance of ever having my broadband - even if they did un-bundle here. I don't trust them. Im on the phone to Sky at the moment - so far its a 30 min call.. the sad thing is no one there seems to understand how LLU works they are telling me that ifBT havent fixed the exchnage there is nothing they can do I am now waiting to be called by their "broadband expert". I will post more later

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Aug-10 22:32:05
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Im writing to Sky and copying it to several other places. The "Broadband Expert" from Sky that called me back first claimed it was a glitch that confused my exchnage - SWPM (samknows line count around 9000) with another exchange SWPMQ (samknows line count around 260!!) I have at least been officially told today that nothing is planned here for at least 12 months.

They say its not a problem.. I wonder how many people the conned into migrating to Sky Connect in the mistaken belief that they would soon migrate to L a decent unbundled service? Looks like the bad customer service rep that Sky has is well deserved.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to