User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Dec-10 16:58:05
Print Post

spare BT master socket...considering SKY

[link to this post]

Hi

I am currently with TT LLU (full) however i do not was the downtime of moving to SKY LLU as i cannot be without internet.

I have another BT master socket at the house however it has never been used since i moved in. It was used by the previous owner for work.

I would like to get SKY LLU on this dead line and after a month or so, cancel my existing service with TT. I am not bothered by the telephone number loss and am well out of contract. I do currently have sky tv (only the £24) package and dont want another box/contract/more expense with the TV service but unsure if this can help my situation?

Whats the best way doing this? Is there a connection charge? Struggling to find recent valid information about this.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 20-Dec-10 22:46:46
Print Post

Re: spare BT master socket...considering SKY

[re: Lemzip] [link to this post]

If you activate the dead line then you will be in another contract for 12 months for both the phone line and internet with Sky (if you choose them for both line rental and internet).

If you switch the internet to Sky LLU (if available) then I am un-sure on how long the downtime may be (about an hour or less for myself but that was 2 years ago).

If there is a real need to avoid any downtime then you could go with the second line OR perhaps use a 3G dongle for the day.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~576 Kbps
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Dec-10 22:51:48
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

its not a day, it is usally around 2-3 weeks downtime.

Return from TT to BT, normally two weeks however service still works but can be cut off anytime. Then sky order to take over the line so around 7 days before the line gets taken over from bt to sky ,then they place the broadband order so anywhere from 7 -14 days ontop of that.

Stupid long process if you ask me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Tue 21-Dec-10 12:04:28
Print Post

Granted it is a long time but get a Mobile Dongle to tide you over assuming you can get reception.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Dec-10 13:58:21
Print Post

I loved from TalkTalk Full LLU to sky..my line returned to BT then 10days later my sky went live.

6-10days will be the max it will be down

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Dec-10 20:30:43
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
I loved from TalkTalk Full LLU to sky..my line returned to BT then 10days later my sky went live.

6-10days will be the max it will be down

you telling me your sky line was up (inc broadband) after 10 days, different from everything i have read. Usually the phone gets activated from bt to sky and then the broadband is ordered.

If you can confirm what you said just to clarify that would be good. No idea why you loved it?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Dec-10 10:09:29
Print Post

meant to be moved not loved lol....

I had 10days downtime for broadband, the switch for the phone was seamless..just a short bit of downtime.

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Dec-10 11:20:32
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

lol

Thanks for the reply, must look into this in the new year then wait for the snow and things to go back to normal.
Standard User magpie68
(newbie) Fri 24-Dec-10 08:55:24
Print Post

I moved from TT to Sky and internet was down for 3 weeks. I was able to piggyback on next door's wireless with my laptop (with permission, they're friends and I installed it) but the desktop was offline for that time as it doesn't have a wireless card.
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jan-11 15:49:28
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Does sky offer you the ability to turn off DLM for your line (even if you have to ring up?)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to