User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sam_nospam
(member) Mon 03-Jan-11 10:06:17
Print Post

Exchange gear - going cheap!

[link to this post]

Hi. This is more of a follow up request for information after I posted a similar request a few months back.

Hereís my problem Ö Iím an existing Sky+HD and Sky Talk customer. My broadband provider at the moment is O2 and I have their unlimited LLU service.

Iíd like to be able to switch to a Sky bundle that includes my TV, telephone and broadband but the last time I phoned Sky a few months back, they said they couldnít provide me with Sky Broadband but of course they could offer the BT service (I guess itís re-badged as Sky?) but this would be a lot more expensive than any of the bundles offered by Sky and certainly would be more than double the price of my existing O2 Broadband deal (£7.50 per month).

At the time, the person I spoke to wasnít sure why they couldnít offer me Sky Broadband but suggested it might be to do with capacity and to try again in a few monthsí time.

I phoned Sky again yesterday afternoon and asked if I could have a Sky bundle that included Sky Broadband (unlimited) but was told that my local exchange, Arrowebrook (LVARR) did not have any Sky equipment installed and therefore I could not have a Sky Broadband deal but I could have the BT broadband deal!

I explained that according to the information I had (Sam Knows), Sky did have equipment at my exchange but the person I spoke to insisted this was wrong and that Iíd have to wait for Sky to upgrade the exchange before they could offer me a Sky Broadband deal.

According to the Sam Knows site, Arrowebrook Exchange went Sky LLU on the 23/06/2007 and at least one of my pals, who is also an existing Sky+HD customer and is on the same exchange, has recently been offered the Sky bundle which included the Sky Unlimited broadband deal so what is happening here? I mentioned this to the Sky repí but again was told the information I had was wrong and that Sky did not have any equipment at the Arrowebrook Exchange.

So, to me it seems like there are just a few explanations for this Ö

1 Sam Knows information is correct and Sky does have equipment at the Arrowebrook Exchange and other than a problem with say capacity, I should be able to get Sky Broadband.

2 Skyís information is correct and they do not have their equipment installed at the exchange and I therefore canít have Sky Broadband.

The only other reasonable explanation I could come up with was that some local scallywags broke into the exchange, possibly dressed in Santa outfits, on Christmas Eve and while the exchange engineers were imbibing a few sherbetís for the festive season, the scallywags had it away with Skyís gear and we will no doubt see it put up for auction on e-bay in the next few weeks? : - )

Iíve sent an e-mail to Skyís customer services requesting they check their information but I donít feel confident Iíll get anything different than what Iíve already been told.

Iíd be most grateful for any info/help with this one.
Standard User sam_nospam
(member) Mon 03-Jan-11 15:44:15
Print Post

Re: Exchange gear - going cheap!

[re: sam_nospam] [link to this post]

Just an update ....

I contacted Sam KNows and they have confirmed that according to information they receieved in December, my exchange is indeed LLU with Sky.

Many thanks to the Sam Knows team for their quick respone and their help : - )
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Jan-11 16:23:51
Print Post

Another option..

3) The exchange is full to capacity and cannot take any more customers.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LadFromWales85
(committed) Mon 03-Jan-11 16:33:35
Print Post

Sam Knows seems to be a little behind with Sky LLU activation.
At least for my location, Menai Bridge, Bangor, and Holyhead all have Sky LLU but not according to Sam Knows.
Wonder how long I've been putting up with 20CN...!

My Broadband Speed Test
AAISP via 2x20CN, moving one to SKY Unlimited
Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jan-11 02:07:29
Print Post

If the exchange has been unbundled by sky/easynet for a while then it would presumably have a gateway with a subdomain of cr0.LVARR.uk.easynet.net
which resolves to 195.189.159.205, so it would seem it does, in which case their LLU ports are probably all full.

Edited by AbandonShip (Tue 04-Jan-11 02:10:01)

Standard User sam_nospam
(member) Tue 04-Jan-11 08:11:20
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

Thanks info

Yes, all we need to do now is persuade Sky that they do actually have some gear in my exchange : - )

I guess if they dont know it's there, then maybe they wouldn't have noticed the local scallywags pinching it from the exchange?

Cheers
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jan-11 09:32:31
Print Post

You could just try ringing sky a few more times. A different operator might have more knowledge in interpreting the information properly.
Standard User workerbee
(newbie) Wed 05-Jan-11 12:53:47
Print Post

There is one DSLAM, and one ISAM in LVARR - both are completely full from what I can see. no spare ADSL ports, so that will be why you wont be having have any luck.

Spare SDSL ports if that helps! frown
Standard User sam_nospam
(member) Wed 05-Jan-11 14:44:58
Print Post

[re: workerbee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by workerbee:
There is one DSLAM, and one ISAM in LVARR - both are completely full from what I can see. no spare ADSL ports, so that will be why you wont be having have any luck.

Spare SDSL ports if that helps! frown

Thanks for the info and yes, it's been confirmed to me now by Sky that the problem is with capacity and not as I was told, that they didn't have their equipment in the exchange : - )

Looks like it'll be just pot luck now if/when a slot might become available on Sky's LLU Broadband system at our exchange.

Thanks again
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jan-11 19:11:17
Print Post

Well, with UKOnline closing down Jan 21st, there may be a few free ports...

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 05-Jan-11 19:11:45)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to