User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User g4shallow
(regular) Thu 06-Jan-11 09:42:51
Print Post

Reported Max Speed

[link to this post]

According to every checker I have tried I am supposed to get a Broadband speed of around 5Mb. In reality I only get 2.8Mb which is fine, I don't have a problem with this.

However, I want to move my Broadband to Sky in order to reduce costs but Sky are saying the Maximum my line can support on their service is 0.5Mb. Is this just them covering themselves or is it something to do with their equipment in the Fencehouses exchange? I want to make the change but to be honest I cannot accept Broadband at 0.5Mb.

A few years ago BT Wholesale did report my line as being 0.5Mb even when I was getting 2.8Mb so I am wondering if Sky are using outdated information.

Anyone in the know have any idea if this is just Sky using old information, any experiences out there with Sky saying you will get a low speed but actually got what your line could support?

--
ADSL24
entanet via ADSL24
BTBroadband for around 9 years until Port 80 fiasco
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:41:06
Print Post

Re: Reported Max Speed

[re: g4shallow] [link to this post]

It mainly depends on your line length. The length can be estimated from your attenuation. What is your attenuation?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User g4shallow
(regular) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:44:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It's 49db

--
ADSL24
entanet via ADSL24

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:52:10
Print Post

Your line length is about 3.5Km and you should get 4.5megs-5.5megs downstream on Sky, imho.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:55:45
Print Post

you'll get the best speed it can achieve at the time, don't fret about number checkers.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User g4shallow
(regular) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:00:21
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I'm not fretting about number checkers. If you read what I posted you can see that I already get 2.8Mb which I am happy with. It's Sky telling me on the phone that the Max I can get it 0.5Mb which is nonsense.

My main concern is moving to Sky LLU, getting a [censored] connection then being told well that's what your line can support. Which of course I know is nonsense.

--
ADSL24
entanet via ADSL24
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:09:32
Print Post

A lot of LLU isps use the Openreach comedy database which often doesn't give a true figure and so defaults to the minimum 0.5meg. The BT retail checker tends to give more up-to-date figures. But all this is irrelevant as the connection speed mainly depends on your attenuation, not what the BT databases say.

Standard User g4shallow
(regular) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:11:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

ok cool. Think I will take the risk then.

Thanks for the replies.

--
ADSL24
entanet via ADSL24
Standard User g4shallow
(regular) Fri 14-Jan-11 17:03:35
Print Post

Sky Broadband was activated today and speed is 3.3Mb so it's slightly up and I was worried for nothing lol. However my pings have doubled from 30ms to 60+ms which scanning through posts would appear that interleaving is now back on the line. I guess in 10 days I need to phone up and ask them to change to Gaming profile.

So far I'm pleased with performance web wise but still got other stuff to test.

--
sky 01-2011 Onwards
Previous ISP'sADSL24 Great ISP!
entanet via ADSL24
Standard User g4shallow
(regular) Tue 18-Jan-11 16:15:50
Print Post

Wooooo broadband speed has jumped from 3Mb to 5.2Mb. Everything else has so far been great on Sky smile

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1116878634.png

--
sky 01-2011 Onwards
Previous ISP's
ADSL24 Great ISP!
entanet via ADSL24
  Print Thread

Jump to