User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User musical_uk
(regular) Thu 06-Jan-11 12:58:56
Print Post

Best router for Sky LLU (not phone, just broadband)?

[link to this post]

I've read loads of stuff on the web about routers for Sky, much of it contradictory, so wanted some user opinions. I've just moved across from UK Online, and I'm syncing downstream at 7007 and upstream at about 800. Attenuation is about 42dB, noise margin about 7dB. I'd like to maximise the both upstream and downstream speed.

I'm currently using a DG834GT which is Sky branded,flashed to the DGTeam firmware and has a Broadcom chipset.

I've got a DG834G v3, which is a TI AR7 based device, which gave me a higher line speed and stability on UK Online, and which I may go back to. It stayed connected to UK Online even when noise margin fell to 0.5dB.

I also have the d-link D-Link DSL-2640S, supplied by Sky and which I haven't even plugged in yet. I believe the D-Link has a Broadcom chipset.

I'll try these different routers and report back on stability. However, as I am connecting to Easynet DSLAMs, am I better off with a Conexant chipset, and can any of you recommend a decent router?
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 06-Jan-11 20:56:15
Print Post

Re: Best router for Sky LLU (not phone, just broadband)?

[re: musical_uk] [link to this post]

Try the D-Link and use the following link to get your router username/password for use in the other routers - http://pathogenrush.blogspot.com/2010/10/dsl-2640s-p...

I have a DG834GT using a custom firmware based on the last Sky branded firmware release. I have also bought (but not tested out) a D-Link DSL-2640B which is what the S version (made for Sky only) is based on - both having the Broadcom chipset.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~876 Kbps

Edited by Yaz (Thu 06-Jan-11 20:58:00)

Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jan-11 15:31:16
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yaz:
I have a DG834GT using a custom firmware based on the last Sky branded firmware release. I have also bought (but not tested out) a D-Link DSL-2640B which is what the S version (made for Sky only) is based on - both having the Broadcom chipset.

The D-link 2640B is built around a different broadcom chipset to Sky's d-link. The Sky one use a new cost effective broadcom chipset..

If you compare the PCB you'll see they are completely different:-

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3464/2640bgh1.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v3nnuWO87V0/TKWrkTpoStI/AA...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jan-11 16:03:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by musical_uk:
I've read loads of stuff on the web about routers for Sky, much of it contradictory, so wanted some user opinions. I've just moved across from UK Online, and I'm syncing downstream at 7007 and upstream at about 800. Attenuation is about 42dB, noise margin about 7dB. I'd like to maximise the both upstream and downstream speed.

I'm currently using a DG834GT which is Sky branded,flashed to the DGTeam firmware and has a Broadcom chipset.

I've got a DG834G v3, which is a TI AR7 based device, which gave me a higher line speed and stability on UK Online, and which I may go back to. It stayed connected to UK Online even when noise margin fell to 0.5dB.

I also have the d-link D-Link DSL-2640S, supplied by Sky and which I haven't even plugged in yet. I believe the D-Link has a Broadcom chipset.

I'll try these different routers and report back on stability. However, as I am connecting to Easynet DSLAMs, am I better off with a Conexant chipset, and can any of you recommend a decent router?

I've also got a Sky DG834GT (although still with Sky firmware on it), and a Netgear DG834G V3 and a d-link dsl-2640S, and am connected to a Sky/Easynet Globspan DSLAM.

On my Sky connection, the AR7 based DG834G V3 syncs the slowest by quite some margin. It is quite a reliable router and it holds onto a sync when the margin goes negative (although bear in mind that different router's measure the stats differently and would come up with different values). I used to use it with a previous ISP, but when I had a bad line fault, the Web interface would become incredibly sluggish, and it seemed poor at correcting RS errors compared to my other routers - I suspect its CPU might be a TAD too slow.

The Dg834G v3 is often favoured by people with longer lines.

By Far the best performing router I've used on my line was a Netgear DG834N, unfortunately it died and because of the number of complaints on the web reporting the same fault as mine, I wouldn't recommend it unless you intend cutting it open and fitting heatsinks, and a fan over the wifi card, although if I need a new router for my line II would look for one with a broadcom BCM6358 in it.

Edited by AbandonShip (Fri 07-Jan-11 16:06:28)

Standard User musical_uk
(regular) Fri 07-Jan-11 18:03:29
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

What a fantastic post. That was exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. Thanks for taking the trouble.

I've abandoned the 834GT. It seems to have trouble streaming data (i.e. iPlayer and SkyPlayer) as reliably as the other two - it stutters. I am not sure whether it is a problem with the unit itself or its general performance. But I had similar problems with the 834GT on UK Online and abandoned it there too. However, I didn't need access to all the tweaks available when I was on UK Online, as Dan in Tech Support did a brilliant job of setting up my line.

Which router are you using now? It don't think it is clear from your post. I'm using the D-Link, and, much to my surprise it is performing very well. Frankly, the main reason I put it on to replace the GT in preference to the 834G was because I wanted to extract my username/password sooner rather than later. The DSL-2640S syncs at the same speed as the GT, but streams more reliably (beautifully, in fact) and has wifi performance slightly better than both the 834G and 834GT (even though I fitted a 6dB aerial to the Netgears).

What I'd really like is an N capable router that I can tweak to get the most out of the line. The DG834N sounds perfect - if it didn't keep blowing up. I'd be interested in hearing how Conexant chipsets perform too.

PS I'm on 'gamer' profile with 8ms delay. Ping to www.bbc.co.uk is 34ms.
Standard User musical_uk
(regular) Fri 07-Jan-11 18:23:38
Print Post

The TP-Link TD-W8960N appears to use the same Broadcom BCM6358 as the 834N, gets decent reviews and is only £36.36 delivered from Amazon. Is any user out there on Sky able to share his/her experiences? That said, for less than £40 I might take a punt.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sat 08-Jan-11 20:11:48
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AbandonShip:
In reply to a post by Yaz:

The D-link 2640B is built around a different broadcom chipset to Sky's d-link. The Sky one use a new cost effective broadcom chipset..

If you compare the PCB you'll see they are completely different:-

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3464/2640bgh1.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v3nnuWO87V0/TKWrkTpoStI/AA...

I wasn't saying that they were the same thing hence the 'based on' part of my post.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~876 Kbps
Standard User LadFromWales85
(committed) Sun 23-Jan-11 02:00:49
Print Post

I'm after a modem/router for my recently enabled Sky SVBN ADSL.

The supplied D-Link syncs higher with the same margin as my DG834v4, but the D-Link is faulty and the wireless crashes within a few hours. My DG834v4 is also faulty when being a router as it has always hung intermittently...never been a problem as I've always had it on modem only mode with another router doing ppp for me!

So I'm after a router that is known to sync highest on Sky's SVBN. As musical_uk suggested, the TP-Link WN8960N is supposed to be good, but I can't find any info about that on the web. Does the TP-Link allow adjusting the margin permanently like the DG834v4 with DG.Team does.

Any others to think about, though being able to force the margin lower without having to do it manually every time is essential! smile

I can hit 19995/1150 with the D-Link with 4.5dB of margin, currently at 18958/1150 with the DG834v4 and the highest margin I've seen is 4.3dB, tweak set to 33%. Never really checked on errors with DSL, but the router has reported 912 crc errors in a 24 hour period, though I'd not say the line has been hugely idle during that time! 5PM-Midnight is awful at the moment due to the known link saturation problem in North Wales...

My Broadband Speed Test
AAISP via 2x20CN, moving one to SKY Unlimited
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Jan-11 03:00:19
Print Post

Best thing to do is run a tracert to any address bbc.co.uk will do, the 2nd hop is the exchange kit(1st after router) if it looks like this :"cr0. your exchange name.uk.easynet.net"then that is the older kit Easynet Dslam which works best with a conexant chipped router as the dslam vendor is globespan, A Netgear DG834G V5 is prob about the cheapest option, or there is the billion 7402 range of routers,some of them offer the ability to tweak the snr, as a ex uko customer myself i can confirm that the the netgear v5 gave me a higher sync rate, my attenuation is 28db my sync went from 14mb to 19mb and got full upload sync of 1216kbps (uko) after dan uncapped the connection and set a 4db profile, but that was on fastpath, something sky wont do,for whatever the reason

Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Sun 23-Jan-11 11:56:25
Print Post

[re: LadFromWales85] [link to this post]

I'd ask Sky to send you another dlink, I have one and it seems ok on the wireless, I have seen others complaining about it but mine's been ok so far, live in an old stone house with thick walls, maybe I've just been lucky, the thing will most probably fall apart now
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to