User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JLamy
(regular) Tue 11-Jan-11 11:31:20
Print Post

My Line Speed on Sky - can it be improved?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have been with Sky LLU broadband for over a year now, and am connecting at the following statistics via the provided Sky router, made by Netgear I believe:

Downstream
Connection Speed: 3036 kbps
Line Attenuation: 54 db
Noise margin: 8 db

Upstream
Connection Speed: 704 kbps
Line Attenuation: 32 db
Noise margin: 9 db

According to SamKnows my line is approximately 2.12km from the exchange in a straight line. The line at the moment is quite stable. I was wondering if there is any chance of calling Sky and get them to increase the link speed to see if it is still stable. Judging by the information above does anyone think my line is capable of more speed?

I also have a second problem where whenever a phone call ends the ADSL loses connection and reconnects. This doesn't happen every call but often enough to be a nuisance. I am using the same micro filter that came with the hardware pack from day one. Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jan-11 12:02:48
Print Post

Re: My Line Speed on Sky - can it be improved?

[re: JLamy] [link to this post]

Your line length is more like 3.9 km on which you could get about 4 Meg.

Those disconnections on phone calls may be making the line seem unstable and keeping the NM high. You need to sort them out first.

Try swapping filters. Do you have filters on every phone? Have you removed the ring wire?

Do a BT Quiet Line Test by calling 17070 Option 2. If you hear any noise at all, report it to phone provider as a voice, not BB, fault.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Jan-11 12:05:29
Print Post

Sky can't just increase your sync speed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Jan-11 12:06:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

4Meg if OPs stats were 6db snr downstream. 3meg is more like it. If OP is getting cut outs reguarly DLM might of caught wind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User JLamy
(regular) Tue 11-Jan-11 12:26:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Try swapping filters. Do you have filters on every phone? Have you removed the ring wire?

In my house there is one master socket in the hallway and I believe an extension wall socket in the upstairs bedroom with nothing connected to it. Would I need a micro filter on the unused extension socket?

Yes I have disconnected the bell wire in the master wall socket, and have tried plugging my microfilter in the "master" socket behind the faceplate. Both methods returned the same ADSL sync speeds.

I have one other spare filter that came with the hardware pack. I will try swapping out the one in use for this one and see.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jan-11 12:35:23
Print Post

That all seems fine.

How is router connected to master socket filter? If it is a long extension ADSL cable, then use the standard supplied one.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Tue 11-Jan-11 13:05:29
Print Post

"master" socket behind the faceplate".

Just to be pedantic it is actually the "test" socket behind the faceplate. Is the phone corded or cordless? If it is a DECT cordless phone try double filtering the phone.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User JLamy
(regular) Tue 11-Jan-11 14:18:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
How is router connected to master socket filter? If it is a long extension ADSL cable, then use the standard supplied one.

Router is connected via the supplied black modem lead into the micro filter > into master socket. It is bunched up like it was out of the box for tidyness as it is about 30cm away from the microfilter.

Edited by JLamy (Tue 11-Jan-11 14:20:23)

Standard User JLamy
(regular) Tue 11-Jan-11 14:19:21
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
"master" socket behind the faceplate".

Just to be pedantic it is actually the "test" socket behind the faceplate. Is the phone corded or cordless? If it is a DECT cordless phone try double filtering the phone.

Thanks for the correction smile

My phone is a Panasonic DECT phone plugged into the phone socket of the same microfilter where the router is plugged into.

Edited by JLamy (Tue 11-Jan-11 14:21:28)

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jan-11 14:24:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by JLamy:
Yes I have disconnected the bell wire in the master wall socket, and have tried plugging my microfilter in the "master" socket behind the faceplate. Both methods returned the same ADSL sync speeds.
Did any of the other stats change at all?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to