User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 12-Jan-11 17:42:40
Print Post

Thinking of joining sky...

[link to this post]

Hello,

I've discovered that sky is enabled on my exchange. If I go for sky money wise i would be saving £4 a month (paying £12.50) compared to current isp (plusnet).
However I currently only get 1 mb with +net with these line states -

Downstream Rate: 1664 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 9.0 dB (Downstream) 11.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 16.3 dBm (Downstream) 12.3 dBm (Upstream)

If I go with Sky which obvousily are a LLU service -
will I (a) not get faster then 1mb
(b) will get faster then 1mb, if so by how much?
(c) will get worst then 1mb?

Also do I need to get a mac code or anything from plusnet to move to sky?

Thank you .
Standard User Ferret76
(regular) Wed 12-Jan-11 18:57:15
Print Post

Re: Thinking of joining sky...

[re: wy2k] [link to this post]

Just done exactly what you're considering as our exchange has just been enabled in the last month or so though you didn't mention if you're taking line rental and calls too.
No mac needed and around 14 days to become active.
Already had two emails from Plusnet to say sorry you're leaving etc so seems Sky are on the ball getting things done.
You've got a worse line than myself, if you want to wait 14 days or so I'll post back on what difference going LLU has made to me on 40db attentuation and 12db SNR current 4mb sync.
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 12-Jan-11 19:03:43
Print Post

[re: Ferret76] [link to this post]

ok thanks i'll do that, don't forget smile.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Wed 12-Jan-11 22:54:53
Print Post

If your just going for the broadband without the calls and line rental you will need a mac code

freeserve freedom2ssurf<n>ildramZeN o2AccessZeN plusnetidnet

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Thu 13-Jan-11 12:10:24
Print Post

[re: tobykim] [link to this post]

if I go for it I would go for calls / line rental to. The only thing stopping me is theres a big question mark over what download speed I will get, as the online checker on sky's website says 0.5 mb, but I currently get 1 mb with plusnet.
Standard User g4shallow
(regular) Fri 14-Jan-11 17:39:38
Print Post

I can only tell you of my experience but I was getting around 3Mb before Sky and Sky told me that my connection would be a max of 0.5Mb. However, posters on here told me that it goes off line stats and that Sky are using old data so I took the plunge.

My move was today and so far my connection has remained at the 3Mb mark.

--
sky 01-2011 Onwards
Previous ISP's
ADSL24 Great ISP!
entanet via ADSL24
BTBroadband for around 9 years until Port 80 fiasco
Standard User spender1
(newbie) Fri 14-Jan-11 19:52:35
Print Post

[re: g4shallow] [link to this post]

There are some problems on Sky Broadband LLU at the moment, might be wise to check the following post from Sky from their official forum

Re: Slow, every night after 7pm.Options

We are aware that in a small number of exchanges some Sky Broadband Unlimited and Everyday Lite customers may be experiencing a reduction in broadband speeds. We are sorry for this disruption to our normal service. In some instances web browsing and downloads are taking longer than usual and customers may also notice this impacting on their Sky Anytime+ service.

This issue is partly due to significant increases in the number of new customers joining Sky Broadband in the areas listed below, combined with unplanned delays in the extra equipment we have ordered to accommodate them.

We will implement the upgrades as quickly as possible and will post updates on the Sky Service Status page and the Sky Help Forum.

The affected areas are:

•Cheshire and North Wales
•Cumbria
•Kidbrooke
•Kent
•Croydon
•Leatherhead
•Crawley
•East Sussex
•Stockton (covering Exchanges in Teesside, Durham and Yorkshire)
•Hertfordshire
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Fri 14-Jan-11 22:05:36
Print Post

[re: spender1] [link to this post]

thanks for that but my exchange is not on the list lucky smile. Unless your saying that its only a matter of time before it will hit my exchange?
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Sat 15-Jan-11 12:52:51
Print Post

[re: spender1] [link to this post]

The list seems too general. Surely congestion is by exchange and not by a whole county.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User spender1
(newbie) Sat 15-Jan-11 14:11:39
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Its more than a small number of exchanges if all those areas are affected. My exchange Old Colwyn is fine in the day and I can max my 20mb connection out but come 4pm my throughput drops to around 1.5mb and my ping to the bbc increases from around 40ms to around 300ms. This makes my xbox live account unusable every evening, I have friends on the Rhyl exchange who are getting the same thing. Initially Sky claimed just the Northwest of England and North Wales were affected but now it looks more widespread. There is some speculation that the problems are linked to the roll out of anytime plus.

Just something to consider before joining Sky unlimited at the moment bearing in mind the long contract.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to