User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JoelB
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 22:28:52
Print Post

Sky selling connect as unlimited ?

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum

I've just connected to SKY unlimited 5 days ago. The connection started syncing at 4mb/sec then upped to 8mb after a couple of days, no disconnection problems and masses of signal to noise ration left (20db) but the rate hasn't gone up for a few days now. This makes me a little suspicious that sky may want to keep me on a adsl+ service (8mb) especially when I noticed the e-mail they sent said they sent when I bought the service said they think the line to this house will only support 8mb. My next door neigbour is on sky unlimited and reckons he gets 20

My stats : Line attenuation 28.5db, noise margin 20db, downstream sync 8191, upstream 796

Should I get on to SKY customer services now or wait until the end of the 10 day period ? I'll feel a bit ripped off if they put me on adsl+ since I paid out thinking I would get LLU and its a year contract !
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Mon 24-Jan-11 22:59:41
Print Post

Re: Sky selling connect as unlimited ?

[re: JoelB] [link to this post]

unless you right next to the exchange you neibough won't get 20, what he mean is he pay for upto 20.

As for leaving you on the BT system, they won't as it cost them a lot more.
Standard User JoelB
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 23:03:25
Print Post

So should I wait until the end of the 10 day period and see if they up the sync rate or ring and ask for gaming profile ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Mon 24-Jan-11 23:38:17
Print Post

Your noise margin is very high if that's your downstream the default I believe is just over 7, best to post the full line stats including upstream and downstream noise margin and attenuation so maybe someone can help you

*edit* as Cobra says the service is advertised as up to 20Mb and you have to live really close to the telephone exchange to get that

Edited by tobykim (Mon 24-Jan-11 23:40:20)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 24-Jan-11 23:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by JoelB:
So should I wait until the end of the 10 day period and see if they up the sync rate or ring and ask for gaming profile ?
You have to wait for the end of training. The online account page tells you whether it's finished or not.

_______________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User NationsurfUK
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 23:49:48
Print Post

My stats : Line attenuation 28.5db, noise margin 20db, downstream sync 8191, upstream 796

You are on LLU with that upload speed.

and with a SNR that high and Looploss that low, i'd expect a 10 - 15Meg line depending on line length

Chris
Standard User Cobra001
(member) Tue 25-Jan-11 00:06:24
Print Post

wait, but also look at your internal wiring do you have a new bt master socket where they have a test socket under the faceplate
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Jan-11 08:13:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You have to wait for the end of training. The online account page tells you whether it's finished or not.

Sky's account page doesn't exactly seem quick to update. It was a few days before mine updated to say the training had started and this morning it says:
Testing on your broadband connection began on 14/01/2011 and will be completed within 10 days.

By my count that means the training should have finished but the website hasn't updated. I was going to ring last night to request the gaming profile but in the end couldn't be bothered, will do it sometime soon though.
Standard User JoelB
(newbie) Tue 25-Jan-11 10:10:03
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cobra001:
wait, but also look at your internal wiring do you have a new bt master socket where they have a test socket under the faceplate

No it doesn't just the wires under the plate, I only have 2 wires connected, does this matter ? Is a new type master socket a requirement for faster speeds ?
Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Tue 25-Jan-11 11:26:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Mine's the same "testing started 13th" and still not updated
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to