User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User glass
(regular) Sun 13-Feb-11 17:14:37
Print Post

UK Online > Sky = 12MB down to 6MB :(

[link to this post]

I was happily surfing at around 12MB down on UK online - switched to Sky broadband (unlitmied package) and am now at hald the speed at arround 6MB down.

I kept the same router and have not adjusted anything at my end. Initalliy I was at 12MB on sky to but over the past 2 weeks I've noticed I'm down to 6MB.

Have checked everything my end which seems fine. Has anyone got advice on how I should approach sky about this issue? Or is it even an issue? Have they limited my speed? frown

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Sun 13-Feb-11 19:55:19
Print Post

Re: UK Online > Sky = 12MB down to 6MB :(

[re: glass] [link to this post]

Try using supplied router and post stats from that.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Feb-11 20:03:53
Print Post

Sound like their DLM which ukonline never used, has increased the noise margin for whatever the reason, yes i would be onto sky about it without any doubt, but before you call them plug in the sky supplied router, as they will be funny with you if you ain't using their garbage one , once the dlm or what ever has been changed and you get your 12mb back then use your router again

just a thought but if you have been using a netgear Dg/D834 gt & v4 you could lower the snr yourself, either by telnet cmd or using the dg team firmware, & should you see a dg834 v5 (not breakable) going cheap, & you are still smpf (adsl only llu), you may get an even better sync using that as it has a conexant chip a v good match for the old easynet dslams, (dg834v4 or gt broadcom chipped)

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 13-Feb-11 20:09:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tazz_uk
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 20:36:21
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Just ask them to remove DLM. They normally do it no questions asked...

Virgin Media Broadband Size: XXL 50Mb
O2 Home Broadband Standard
Standard User glass
(regular) Sun 13-Feb-11 21:04:14
Print Post

[re: Tazz_uk] [link to this post]

thanks for the replies - i'll get my sky router on the go next week and see if that helps - if not a call to sky - will the monkey's even know what i'm on about if I ask them to turn of DLM?

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Feb-11 21:26:18
Print Post

The overseas based support the 1st you get to speak to may well not, prob want you to clear cookies change filters,restart pc, do the funky chicken,lol but if you get the next tier i think 2, they will know what it is , but i have seem reports that it automatically can re enable it's self again, bring back ukonline, non of this nonsense

Standard User djay
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 23:57:12
Print Post

[re: Tazz_uk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Tazz_uk:
Just ask them to remove DLM. They normally do it no questions asked...

Would this be the same as asking the for fast path ?? i hear so many people say they do this and that yet hardly find anyone that has had it done.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Feb-11 06:06:04
Print Post

[re: djay] [link to this post]

I read its a sackable offense for a sky rep to put you on fast path, hence the rarity.

I dont know if the limitation is just for adsl2+ or for adsl1 and adsl2+.
  Print Thread

Jump to