User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shinystar77
(regular) Mon 21-Feb-11 10:40:07
Print Post

Using your own Modem

[link to this post]

Who here is using their own Modem with Sky Broadband? Or using their own Modem Router with Sky Broadband?

I know that the terms and conditions say that youíre not supposed to use your own Modem but is there a penalty for using your own Modem? Has anyone actually had their broadband service cut off because they were using their own Modem?

Iím only asking because of the poor Wi-Fi performance on the Sagem Modem Router that Sky supplied to me. Ideally I would like to use my own Modem Router to boost the Wi-Fi performance in my house.

I just want to get an idea as to how common it is that people are using their own Modems and not being cut off. Iíve been checking other forums and it seems that people are using their own Modems and not being cut off.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Feb-11 11:23:26
Print Post

Re: Using your own Modem

[re: shinystar77] [link to this post]

I was using my own for around 7 months until it packed in, no issues... There are a lot of of customers using their own equipment with no sign of anyone getting even a telling off

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User NickyJ
(learned) Mon 21-Feb-11 11:27:47
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

A colleague of mine does and has even had support given to him when using it,which surprised me.

I am planning on doing so once I am connected.

My Broadband Speed Test
Currently with Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf).
Switching to Sky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Tue 22-Feb-11 06:58:10
Print Post

I know of someone who had issues getting iPlayer to work on their LG Plasma and as a process of elimination bought this.

It did the job it seems and I believe it was replacing the original Netgear 834. As you mentioned it does form part of their T&Cs but I have never heard of Sky trying to enforce it and I guess they would lose some business if they tried.

I would suggest however they have a right to have their router connected if tech support is required.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Linc
(committed) Tue 22-Feb-11 12:29:26
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

My daughter had massive slowdown of download speeds using the Sky provided modem. Changed to a Netgear modem we purchased and the speeds have stayed excellent and fairly static. No problem but, as Sadoldman says, best to reconnect their modem if you ring support! wink

The hardest journey you will make is meeting people half way!
Standard User everhopeful
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 19:56:19
Print Post

[re: Linc] [link to this post]

I've just signed up for Sky broadband and got my router today. It's the Sagem and it looks the tackiest piece of kit imaginable. I hope it's better than the Sagem freeview boxes, mine lasted for 9 months before dying on me.

Are there any known reliability issues with these routers?
Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Mar-11 19:42:16
Print Post

[re: everhopeful] [link to this post]

Apparently, the previous Sky sagem router had a reputation for failing power bricks. If its the new N model, then it has only just come out, and I've only seen one post so far about one failing.

According to one user, the new sagem model uses the same password algorithm as the old, so you can obtain working login details from the password generation site.
Standard User shinystar77
(regular) Sun 06-Mar-11 15:14:00
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

Can someone please post the settings I need to enter into my own Modem?

I've got my ADSL Username and Password from my Sky Modem but I don't have the correct Modem settings with me so that I can establish a PPP session with my own Modem.

I think I saw somewhere that said the VPI is 0 and the VCI is 38 but what are the other settings that I need?

Edited by shinystar77 (Sun 06-Mar-11 15:15:09)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Mar-11 16:10:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by shinystar77:
Can someone please post the settings I need to enter into my own Modem?

www.cm9.net/skypass

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Sun 06-Mar-11 23:24:19
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

How do you go about setting your own router up now that the wan setting has changed from ppoa to mer, don't need to at the moment but should I need to be nice to know how
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to