User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dragon18007
(newbie) Mon 21-Feb-11 13:18:32
Print Post

Changing to Sky broadband and phone line rental

[link to this post]

Hi

I seem to have a problem on my phone line as it hisses/crackles, it seems to only do it when im connected to my O2 broadband, if I disconnect the wire from the socket and wait about 10 seconds and pick up the phone again then the noise goes away on the line. I phoned my phone provider and they said if the failt is at my end then i will be charged for a call out, im going to call O2 later on and see what they say

But my question re sky was that im thinking about moving to them and taking out the phone line rental and call package and was wondering if when I swap over will they have to get an engineer to check my exchange anyway? if so then would it would be pointless getting someone out just now??

Ta

JJ
Standard User NickyJ
(learned) Mon 21-Feb-11 14:09:50
Print Post

Re: Changing to Sky broadband and phone line rental

[re: dragon18007] [link to this post]

I can't answer the specific question, but have you change the microfilter? As it sounds like that might be a bit dodgy to me.

My Broadband Speed Test
Currently with Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf).
Switching to Sky.
Standard User dragon18007
(newbie) Mon 21-Feb-11 14:47:28
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

yeah, changed the filter and also installed an NTE5 faceplate and it doesnt make a difference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 21-Feb-11 18:57:01
Print Post

plug the phone into the test socket alone... does this have a problem. If not may be internal wiring in house. Plug the phone & adsl into the test socket (using a filter)... does this have a problem, then either filter or router. If not then may have a problem with the internal wiring in the house.

Process of elimination. The more you can do yourslf the cheaper if you get someone in.

IanD
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Feb-11 12:34:47
Print Post

No. The people doing the LLU transfers on that day in your exchange won't check the quality of your line or fix any issues.

They will simply do what they need to do. You should request an engineer to check your line yourself if you feel 100% sure it isn't because of internal wiring. They will then trace the whole your line takes and will try to fix the problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
  Print Thread

Jump to