User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zAndy1
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 23:17:43
Print Post

Sky Broadband LLU on Openreach - implications?

[link to this post]

I've noticed Sky Broadband unlimited is now available on my exchange , currently with TalkTalk who to be fair have been excellent and I've never had any problems but I'm considering moving to Sky as it's cheaper and I should in theory get the same speed and unlimited downloads of course. I rang Sky tonight just to clarify how the transfer would work and was told I wasn't in a Sky voice and network area which basically means on my exchange it would be an openreach line but I still have access to all the Sky LLU products e.g. unlimited broadband etc. Does this have any implications on the speed and service I'm likely to get compared to an exchange where Sky have installed the equipment themselves and it's full LLU (like talktalk are I believe). I must admit when I was told this it kind of put me off for some reason, not sure why as I'm not really sure about the implications of this but is what I was told reason to be cautious? They did explain that what this meant was they would have to do the line first which would take a couple of weeks and only once the line was active would they be able to order the broadband, presumably that would mean a period of time when the broadband was unavailable? Not sure now whether to go ahead with the transfer or stick with TalkTalk who like I said I've been very happy with but if I can go to Sky and save a bit of money and get the same or better speed/stability etc as I get now I will

Cheers
Andy
Standard User R0per
(committed) Wed 30-Mar-11 09:53:14
Print Post

Re: Sky Broadband LLU on Openreach - implications?

[re: zAndy1] [link to this post]

Bit confused by the info youíve been given there. If sky unlimited is available at your exchange then you are in a sky network area, if theyíre saying youíre not then unlimited isnít available and all you can have is sky connect, which isnít their LLU product and apparently needs to be avoided like the plague. But itís strange, where did the info that unlimited was available in your area come from?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Mar-11 09:57:18
Print Post

[re: R0per] [link to this post]

He's saying Unlimited is available. It's the Sky voice line which is unavailable.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zAndy1
(member) Wed 30-Mar-11 10:46:37
Print Post

Well the Sky Broadband address checker says unlimited is available , can't check using my phone number as it says its not compatible presumably cos I'm currently with talktalk. The samknows site says Sky LLU is available on my exchange (Barton Upon Number) . There seems to be 2 levels if LLU if I'm not mistaken, talktalk don't have anything to do with openreach whereas Sky do use the openreach network. What this means is that because our exchange yang full LLU for Sky it will take longer to transfer as the line has to be transferred to Sky first and them Sky have to activate the broadband. I've read some horror stories about the time its talent to go this with some people having to wait months before its all sorted out! Sky did also say there was no guarantee we would keep our current number as talktalk own it but they did say in all likelihood we would be able to keep it, don't like the fact theres a chance we might end up with a new number though as I cache really see talktalk being very accommodating if we're going to Sky. What I really wanted to know is whether the fact its sky llu but via the openreach network is different in terms of performance etc compared to sky full llu that's not via the openreach network. Confused I might well be so apologies if this doesnt mage any sense
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Mar-11 10:51:07
Print Post

[re: zAndy1] [link to this post]

As long as you're on Sky unlimited and not Sky Connect, it will perform the same as if you're on the Sky voice line.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Mar-11 12:07:24
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Agreed.

Sounds like Sky has some DSLAM's out there that don't do the voice too yet. In my eyes WLR which is what your phone would become is a better option that full LLU

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AbandonShip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Mar-11 12:32:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
As long as you're on Sky unlimited and not Sky Connect, it will perform the same as if you're on the Sky voice line.

Apparently, the new fully unbundled Sky SVBN MSANs have a fixed set of line profiles, whereas the old Sky-Easynet (adsl only) DSLAMs are manually configurable, so if anything you could be slightly better off on the older Easynet installed hardware.
Standard User acpsd775
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 12:41:34
Print Post

[re: AbandonShip] [link to this post]

from what i read about SVBN i wish id been given the choice of which network to go on lol but i wanted full rental/broadband so auto got put onto the SVBN lol such a shame lol.

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
[img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/ACPSD775...[/img]
Standard User R0per
(committed) Wed 30-Mar-11 13:06:43
Print Post

Ahh, I assumed they did all or nothing. I've learnt something there.
Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Wed 30-Mar-11 14:24:44
Print Post

Ihave sky unlimited over a BT line and it's fine, syncs at 19.998 and get download speeds of about 17
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to