User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keno2000uk
(newbie) Fri 01-Apr-11 16:08:30
Print Post

speeds

[link to this post]

hi transferred onto sky broadband couple of weeks ago all way through initial testing connection was 10 meg downloading at 950kbs once testing finished connection is now 8122 downstream with 34.5db annuention and 6.2 snr. ive tried different routers and directly into master socket with no change which leads me to believe my sync speed has been capped by sky in some way. can they do this and is there anything i can do about it. from reading on other sites with that annuention i think i should be able to achieve close to 12-13 meg. any suggestions welcome
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Apr-11 17:26:03
Print Post

Re: speeds

[re: keno2000uk] [link to this post]

8122Kbps if always the same sync figure it sounds like they have limited you to their 8Meg product.

What noise margin goes along with the sync and atttenuation, i.e. should quote all three values at the same time for things to make sense.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0per
(committed) Fri 01-Apr-11 20:22:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry to hijack, but in the same situation.

Currently synced at 8189 kbps, and on my sky account it says "Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 8.0Mb (8192Kb)"

My speed didn't go a huge amount more over this during training and I figured based on my stats it wouldnt do, but I thought it could achieve a bit more. Also my noise looks worse than it did during the early stages, do they set that at a specific level (it confuses me slightly).

Current stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8189 kbps 796 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.0 dB 19.1 dB
Noise Margin 6.3 dB 16.0 dB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0per
(committed) Fri 01-Apr-11 20:29:24
Print Post

[re: R0per] [link to this post]

Also, another reason I'm curious about this.

When I said I was going to order sky broadband one of my friends said 'you wont get over 8mb here as BT only have an 8mb point of presense', or something like that.... I thought this made no sense as I figured they werent relying on BT equipment, but he seemed very sure.

And now I've ended up on exactly 8mb, as have my parents who live elsewhere in the same village. So was he right?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Apr-11 20:48:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0per:
So was he right?

If your product name is "Sky Connect" then he was right, if your product name is anything else then he is wrong - and Sky have installed their equipment into your exchange.

My mate is on Sky Connect as his exchange serves 2467 people and no LLU companies have arrived.

Check your exchange size and LLU status at SamKnows ->
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User R0per
(committed) Fri 01-Apr-11 20:50:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Ah no no. I'm definitely not on connect and wouldnt have considered sky until they unbundled the exchange.

I figured he was definitely wrong, just sees odd that I'm on exactly 8mb and so are my parents. My stats didnt look great during testing but I was expecting a reasonable jump over what I had with my old up to 8mb product.

Edited by R0per (Fri 01-Apr-11 20:51:50)

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Fri 01-Apr-11 20:53:05
Print Post

Have you called CS and asked them?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User R0per
(committed) Fri 01-Apr-11 21:17:12
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

No, my line training has only just finished.

Also not sure if I can be bothered, they only estimated 8-10 so I guess they'll just fob me off with something even if I should be getting more. Or maybe I'm getting what I should be anyway.

I'm not to worried about increased speed, I mainly switched to save money. I was mostly curious. The only reason I was really hoping for more speed is I thought my friend was wrong and it would have won my argument. smile
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Apr-11 00:27:40
Print Post

Throw it into the test socket and provide stats.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Apr-11 11:01:48
Print Post

http://www.farina1.com/adsl/ (I should make it look a bit more 2011, than 2007 now)

14 to 16Meg from ADSL2+ if they let you run with ADSL2+

Hard to infer too much, as the noise margin might be fine and not have lots of spare due to the use of a fixed speed profile.

Gaming profile seems to be the one people ask for and get the best speeds from.

It also looks like Sky LLU to, if you were wondering.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to