User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OutCasT
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 13:03:02
Print Post

Sky line degradation

[link to this post]

Hi all, i would value your opinions on a small problem i have been having this year.

Last year we switched from BT to sky unlimited,at the time BT offered us 15mb download and 1mb upload, sky told us this wasnt possible and that 8mb was the max, as we want ed our tv/phone and bb in one nice package we opted for sky

so we went from BT -

My Broadband Speed Test

onto Sky -

My Broadband Speed Test

After the line had settled and we had been running a while we decided to get in contact and ask to be put on the gaming profile, the guy at sky was very helpful and kept in touch to make sure all was fine, he got us running at a very consistent -

My Broadband Speed Test

At this time the router stats were -

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
>Connection Speed 8389 kbps 1109 kbps
>Line Attenuation 43.0 db 14.0 db
>Noise Margin 6.7 db 7.8 db

But since the start of march it has really went down hill very fast

first the download speed started dropping -

My Broadband Speed Test

Then both -

My Broadband Speed Test

currently its running at -

My Broadband Speed Test

and router stats -

Connection Speed 5362 kbps 604 kbps
Line Attenuation 43.5 db 24.6 db
Noise Margin 7.9 db 16.7 db

Firmware Version 2.8Sky (router is Sky Sagem)
Network Type MER
Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h
Modem Status Up
DownStream Connection Speed 5362
UpStream Connection Speed 604
VPI 0
VCI 40
MTU Size (in bytes): 1478

After many emails to sky i finally recieved a reply -

"Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre. I tried to contact you today but I received.
Currently you are receiving 5.2Mb. This currently more than we would expect you to receive, according to the Estimated Access Line speed, the speed you we estimate you to have is 3.5Mb. "

Along with standard how to connect your broadband up correctly sheet

My master socket has the pre filtered masterplate i have also tried connecting directly into test socket, initially just like rebooting router it gives better stats but after few hours it drops back down to normal again and stats are the same as it is normally connected

Just wanted to know peoples opinion, am i just expecting to much?

Thanks
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Apr-11 13:50:56
Print Post

Re: Sky line degradation

[re: OutCasT] [link to this post]

looks like something has happened to your upstream attenuation. Have you tried a different router connected to the line just to get some line stats?

Might be a dodgy router/filters/line fault.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Apr-11 14:43:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by OutCasT:
Hi all, i would value your opinions on a small problem i have been having this year.

Last year we switched from BT to sky unlimited,at the time BT offered us 15mb download and 1mb upload, sky told us this wasnt possible and that 8mb was the max, as we want ed our tv/phone and bb in one nice package we opted for sky

so we went from BT -

My Broadband Speed Test

onto Sky -

My Broadband Speed Test

After the line had settled and we had been running a while we decided to get in contact and ask to be put on the gaming profile, the guy at sky was very helpful and kept in touch to make sure all was fine, he got us running at a very consistent -

My Broadband Speed Test

At this time the router stats were -

>Connection Speed 8389 kbps 1109 kbps
>Line Attenuation 43.0 db 14.0 db
>Noise Margin 6.7 db 7.8 db

But since the start of march it has really went down hill very fast

first the download speed started dropping -

My Broadband Speed Test

Then both -

My Broadband Speed Test

currently its running at -

My Broadband Speed Test

and router stats -

Connection Speed 5362 kbps 604 kbps
Noise Margin 7.9 db 16.7 db

Firmware Version 2.8Sky (router is Sky Sagem)
Network Type MER
Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h
Modem Status Up
DownStream Connection Speed 5362
UpStream Connection Speed 604
VPI 0
VCI 40
MTU Size (in bytes): 1478

After many emails to sky i finally recieved a reply -

"Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre. I tried to contact you today but I received.
Currently you are receiving 5.2Mb. This currently more than we would expect you to receive, according to the Estimated Access Line speed, the speed you we estimate you to have is 3.5Mb. "

Along with standard how to connect your broadband up correctly sheet

My master socket has the pre filtered masterplate i have also tried connecting directly into test socket, initially just like rebooting router it gives better stats but after few hours it drops back down to normal again and stats are the same as it is normally connected

Just wanted to know peoples opinion, am i just expecting to much?

Thanks
Can you please also post the stats when first connected directly into the master socket,
from you stats i see that the upstream attenuation has risen significantly and the upstream SNR of 16.7db!!! seems odd,
So far the response from sky seems to be an attempt to dismiss the problem rather than investigate it further,
can you please post the stats you get when your router is connected to the test socket without any phone connected too,?
Things i would do to make sure that it wasn't my equipment or anything from the BT master socket onwards
replace the Adsl cable from filter to router and adsl filter, and even the router,
if the issue still persists then i would be complaining to sky to get it resolved as it isn't acceptable really infact you have gone from a usable line to a virtually useless line

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User OutCasT
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 15:33:42
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

thanks for the replys..

I was thinking of using my netgear router but was leaving that as a last resort as sky really dont seem to like you using a non sky router and didnt want to do it just at the mo on the off chance they did have a look at my line

removing filtered faceplate and connecting directly into test socket my results were -

Connection Speed 5623 kbps 604 kbps
Noise Margin 7.1 db 16.7 db

Usually the connection speed rises to 7000kbps+ but even with rebooting router again to it hasnt

The difference between my master socket and my normal setup is only a 2mtr RJ45 cable to router and very rarely have the phone plugged in at all (everyone just seems to use mobiles now lol) so the stats rarely change.

Me and my son are both pc gamers so we have always insured everything to do with our connection is the best we could get and has nothing that could interfear,also we dont use wireless and it is switched off in the router settings

To be fair to sky even with the lower speeds, my ping times for the games i play average 40-60ms which really isnt to bad, but loosing so much download and especially upload is quite dissapointing

Thanks again for the replies
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Apr-11 15:46:46
Print Post

This is just a possibility but your router maybe for whatever the reason is reporting the upsteam attenuation incorrectly, but there is no doubt with a snr of 16.7db the upload speed is gonna take a dive, it should be around the same as the downstream the sky default value i believe is 6-7db so if that was reset then your upload speed would be higher again, this could even be a fault with the sky kit at the exchange

Standard User OutCasT
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 16:05:30
Print Post

Thanks Tommy appreciate the input, i emailed sky last night again so will leave it a few days then i think i will try a different router over the weekend, just got my username and password extracted so ready to go

I was getting frustrated with sky there, but i dont think its an unreasonable request to get back to were i was, i would be happy with 5-6mb down as long as i had 1mb upload again.
Standard User OutCasT
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-11 00:22:08
Print Post

Decided to go for it and hooked up my netgear router, but unfortunately no improvement -

Connection Speed 7645 kbps 604 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.0 db 24.4 db
Noise Margin 6.8 db 17.1 db

upload noise still as high so the sky router must be working ok, was worth a try.

My Broadband Speed Test

http://www.pingtest.net/result/38758808.png

Back onto Sky router -

Connection Speed 7611 kbps 604 kbps
Noise Margin 6.6 db 16.7 db

Edited by OutCasT (Thu 14-Apr-11 01:07:22)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Apr-11 01:05:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by OutCasT:
Decided to go for it and hooked up my netgear router, but unfortunately no improvement -

Connection Speed 7645 kbps 604 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.0 db 24.4 db
Noise Margin 6.8 db 17.1 db

upload noise still as high so the sky router must be working ok, was worth a try.

My Broadband Speed Test

http://www.pingtest.net/result/38758808.png

your previous stats where :
Connection Speed 5623 kbps 604 kbps
Noise Margin 7.1 db 16.7 db
you have gained 2mbits on the downstream sync, if you can get the past the script monkeys (first line tech support) you should be able to get them to manually set the upstream target snr back to the default value,6-7db then your upstream sync will increase , because the way it is now it is artificially capping the sync speed
And from the stats of the netgear i would say that that is more compatible than the junk that they send out F.O.C with the dslam, also try downloading a large test file and see what speed it reports, or try other speed testers, speedtest.net, speed io are 2 others, as every speed test i perform with tbb speedtest never shows the full throughput speed even if i use a single stream to download a test file, windows and other s/w reports higher than tbb, both upstream &downstream

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 14-Apr-11 01:09:38)

Standard User OutCasT
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-11 02:01:27
Print Post

i downloaded a 204800 KB file, result was -

262.8 seconds at a rate of 798KB/sec (6385kbps)

Run a couple of other speed test to-

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1251035773.png

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/89463131.png

http://speed.io/backend/result/41709189?pID=project1
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Apr-11 06:18:40
Print Post

Best thing i think is ring sky asked to be passed to the second tier tech support, and tell them about the problems, pointing out the upstream snr is way too high and is capping your upstream sync ,also point out that the attenuation has increased,
at the minimum you should be able to get them to lower the upstream snr

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to