User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Alison556
(regular) Mon 25-Apr-11 23:25:56
Print Post

No internet

[link to this post]

My mum has a Netgear DG834 router from Sky. She's been a Sky BB customer for years.

She's recently been having a lot of problems with her internet connection - every time she started up her computer, she was getting the message "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network".

It's been hit or miss if she's been getting an internet connection - constantly having to reboot the router and if she was lucky, got a connection.

She phoned Sky and they sent her out a new filter - this hasn't solved the problem - we didn't think this was the problem. She phoned them again and got some guy telling her at least she had some connection even though it was intermittant - she asked him if she was expected to pay for a service that was, at best, intermittant, and he said, yes, basically. He refused to send out a new router.

Then on Saturday, her phone (also from Sky) and broadband died completely.

She phoned them again (from her mobile cos she wasn't getting any calls) and they said there was a fault on the line.

Sunday night, the phone suddenly came back on but she still has no internet connection and we're convinced the router is the problem since she's had this intermittant connection problem for ages - the router is red hot.

She phoned Sky again and was told that perhaps the router is faulty and they'll send out a new one but she'll have to pay for it because the one she has is over a year old.

Is this right? It doesn't sound right - they tell you that you can't use your own router because you'd be in breach of their T&Cs so surely if they're insisting that you use their supplied hardware, then they shouldn't be charging you for a new one when the one you have breaks down???

We were going to use my old router just to double check that it was the router and not still a line fault (Sky are pretty useless) but from what I've read, you can't just plug it in and use the sky/admin login and password - you need the login and password from the router but I've no idea how to get it - when I tried to get the info from the backup files on the router, it's still just the sky/admin info that's showing - and having no internet connection at my mum's means I'm having to try and get whatever info I need from my own house, write it all down and then go up to my mum's.

Just wondered if charging for a new router was correct and if there was any way to get the info I need to test my old router on her connection to see if it is the router that's the problem.

Any advice (keep it simple though) hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Alison
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-11 09:03:12
Print Post

Re: No internet

[re: Alison556] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alison556:
Is this right? It doesn't sound right - they tell you that you can't use your own router because you'd be in breach of their T&Cs so surely if they're insisting that you use their supplied hardware, then they shouldn't be charging you for a new one when the one you have breaks down???

I 100% agree, it's not good that Sky force you to use their router, and charge you for a new one when it breaks, but that's how things stand.

Any advice (keep it simple though) hugely appreciated.

This site could be useful: https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

Oliver.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 26-Apr-11 10:41:35
Print Post

E-Mail 'jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com' with your complaint.
You will get a response within hours.........

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alison556
(regular) Tue 26-Apr-11 10:58:27
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Thank you both.

The link for the password generator - does that have to be done off the PC with the router or can I do it from my own computer? It's just there's no internet access so won't be able to access that site from my mum's computer.

And I'll send an e-mail to that guy as well - thank you so much.

Alison
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Tue 26-Apr-11 11:02:18
Print Post

Hello,

The IP address problem isnt the Sky Broadband itself or the phone line.
It's a home network issue.

a quick fix instead of restarting, using the right mouse button click on the 2 flashingmonitors at the bottom right of the screen with your right mouse button and click on repair. It should renew or get you another IP address.

You could assign your mums computer with a static IP address which is at the top of the routers IP address range. example The router dishes out IP address starting from 192.168.0.1 then 192.168.0.2. If you setup a staic IP address at lets say 192.168.0.50, it would be unlikely that you will have 50 devices attached.

It's a little long winded to explain as I would need you to do an IPCONFIG to find out what all the gateways, dns and stuff are first. Any of the friendly chappies here can help with that.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-11 11:25:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alison556:
The link for the password generator - does that have to be done off the PC with the router

No, the site can be used with any computer.

Oliver.
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Tue 26-Apr-11 11:54:41
Print Post

Just read your other post where you say lots of your brothers stuff is all connected to it wirelessly including a laptop, xbox, iphone etc.
The IP conflict is there and you do need to assign your mothers computer a static IP address.

1. Using your right mouse button click on the 2 flashing computer monitors at the bottom right of the screen and select NETWORK CONNECTIONS.
2. Using the right mouse button, click on the network adaptor which is used to connect to the internet and select properties.
3. In the middle scroll down to INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP) and click on it with your right mouse button to high light it, and then click on properties.
4. You need to select USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS and the USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER.
5. ENTER the following numbers

IP Address 192.168.0.50
SUBNET 255.255.255.255 ( should popup automatically )
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

Prefered DNS Server 192.168.0.1
Prefered DNS Server LEAVE IT BLANK

6. Click OK and it should now always use the new IP address.

I believe those numbers should be correct for netgear, but without the ipconfig its only a theoreticle guess.

Edited by wanapoo (Tue 26-Apr-11 12:01:22)

Standard User Alison556
(regular) Tue 26-Apr-11 12:53:51
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

Thank you so much. I did wonder if it was all his stuff that was causing a problem but I wasn't sure because he's had all that connected for ages and it's just recently that there have been problems.

I'll do all that - I'm also going to try connecting the router direct to the phone master socket instead of the extension just to rule out any fault in the extension. At least then, we'll have tried everything to see if the lack of internet is the router or the phone line.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Apr-11 18:08:37
Print Post

Issues with phone wiring are not causing your IP conflict, its a Local network issue, i.e. between all the devices that are connected.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to