User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-11 23:58:19
Print Post

Sky LLU due tomorrow

[link to this post]

Well after 5 long weeks my line is due to be activated tomorrow.

will update on how it goes, will post some stats of my 4mbit sync that they set you on.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Tue 10-May-11 00:17:17
Print Post

Re: Sky LLU due tomorrow

[re: Lemzip] [link to this post]

The 4 meg sync is not guaranteed!
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-May-11 05:36:09
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

well im waiting lol, 1 hr 30 sleep!

Up early with kids, got a 3 weeks old and a 5 year old....5 yeard old was up first!!!

Edited by Lemzip (Tue 10-May-11 05:36:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-May-11 11:30:58
Print Post

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4095 kbps 605 kbps
Line Attenuation 32.5 db 20.1 db
Noise Margin 15.2 db 17.3 db

however i know my attenuation is 4db lower on the upsteam. My GT always reports is higher then every other router so its almost the same as my TT line
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-11 02:35:35
Print Post

DLM has done its first change...bit disappointed was expecting 14mbit and a higher upload with the spare snrm there!

Need to get another router, not sure if the funny snrm it reports on the upstream has caused that.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 13476 kbps 945 kbps
Line Attenuation 32.0 db 20.0 db
Noise Margin 7.3 db 13.4 db

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1290513331.png

Speedtest with dual wan so not just the sky speed

Edited by Lemzip (Wed 11-May-11 02:37:17)

Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Wed 11-May-11 03:25:10
Print Post

Your pretty much perfect for your line. If anything above average for that attentuation, in my experience. Although some websites would argue differently.

Also be warned that buying a new router will make no odds, it's against T&C and is lots of money wasted IMO.

Sky set the sync speed via DLM so once it's over, you'd connect at the same sync everytime. E.g. if DLM had ended now you would resync at a max of 13476kbps. It's like a physical cap on the line. So every router would yield the same sync. No router could get above 13476 kbps. Some may sync less granted.

The upload may change, although you're unlikely to see above 1000 kbps as Sky generally don't go above this for some weird reason.

I think it's looking pretty much perfect.

I certainly don't expect your line to get any better speeds, if anything I'd expect .5 - 2 meg less once DLM finds a perfectly stable sync that will never drop out.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 11-May-11 03:26:12)

Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-11 13:27:52
Print Post

will ring up once training is done and ask for the gaming profile, then i can tweak my snrm.

My tt line sits at 16800kbps with 3db snrm, no problems or slowdown or to many errors to cause a issue.

Quite happy considering i wont get any form of fibre unless the Council is sucessful in its BDUK bid. I have seen the viability of our county and i think only 3 or 4 exchanges are going to get fibre up to 2016/17
Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-May-11 14:41:48
Print Post

will ring up once training is done and ask for the gaming profile, then i can tweak my snrm.
AIUI once the DLM has finished the line speed will be capped. Therefore any amount of "tweaking" won't change that. The gaming profile reduces the level of interleaving but doesn't increase the speed of the line.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-11 14:47:57
Print Post

If sky provided fastpath (gaming profile isn't fastpath) with a normal snr of 6db he would see at least another 2mbits sync with an attenuation of 32db which probably is actually less, my router reported my attenuation as 32db the lines actual atten was only 28db, my sync at 6db was over15mbit fastpath (ukonline)

the chipset in the router can and does make a difference in sync speed, if the op is connected to one of the old easynet dslams they will show up on a tracert as cr0.xxx.uk.easynet.net at the 1st hop after the router then using a router with a conexant chipset would give better sync, but with the netgear dg834 v5 manually over riding the target downstream snr isn't supported , so a router such as the billion 7204 nx or rx would be required,
as for use of your own router, why not (sky t&c's) well i have never heard of anyone getting thrown off because of using their own router

as for the line being capped by dlm if this is the case this can be changed by sky, but as adsl is rate adaptive then the theory of dlm on llu hard capping a connection is shot down, whilst dlm will serve to cap a connection by increasing the target margin, once it is no longer active then it should sync at the fastest speed possible, and lowering the snr would enable a faster sync, but if as a result this caused errors /packet loss ,this could cause dlm to run again if it's threshold was met

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 11-May-11 15:15:49)

Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-11 17:46:36
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

ive read on multiple forums once you are on the gaming profile you can tweak the snrm, i will wait and find out myself.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to