Last night I was attending one of my customers who complained about slow broadband speeds.
Their broadband router had negotiated 228kbps download speed.
Yes I did say 228kbps.
It turned out that their brand new shiny Sky+ HD box, which had been installed in october last year, was cauing the slow down.
The SKY Installer had NOT fitted a micro filter between the boxes dial up modem connection and the telephone socket.
On removing the offending connection the new negotiated download speed was 1328kbps. A lot better, but not very near the 4.0mbps they were quoted when joinging sky broadband.
Their exchange is not a Sky LLU, so theirs is a BT Connection.
Having got the download speed up I then checked their IP Profile using the BT speed checker. This showed it was stuck at 250kbps.
The Sky BB agent is repoting this to BT today (10th), so hopefully there should be some movement soon.
Demon Express Solo (Pipe:lon1-aj1e)
Line: Length 250 metres, Modem: Netgear DG834G
Connection Speed; Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
bRas Profile = 7150 kbps
After Tweaking (MTU=1500 Rwin=513920)
XP SP2 downloads @ 750KB/s
PC: Epox 8K7A+, Athalon XP1700+, 1GB DDR-266, 64MB ATI Radeon 7500, Windows XP SP2