User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User danielno8
(newbie) Fri 13-May-11 12:19:20
Print Post

New Sky phoneline/broadband installed...

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Quick question after my broadband install. I had my Sky TV installed last week, but phone wasn't active yet so HD box wasn't connected to my phoneline.

This week was the date for my phoneline install (from Sky) and they were also activating for broadband. My little brother was home to let the guy in, so i didn't get to ask questions of him while once he was finished. I have came home, and aswell as installing the phoneline (i presume this was really only done at the exchange, as there was already a BT socket in the flat, just no service active on it) he has ran a cable around the room, punched into the skirting boards, directly into the phone socket. It is connected to the phone socket by a face plate type thing, giving me to ports where i can now connect phone/broadband. So i have plugged the microfilter in then connected my phone and router.

My first question is, why has he taken it upon himself to wire the phoneline to the Sky box? I understand it is Sky doing the phoneline, but they are two separate dept? Normally this would be a good thing i gues, as it is quite tidy, but i intended running a loose extension cable, simply as it is a rented property and not really supposed to make modifications. This isn't a big issue, just curious since his remit was to activate the phoneline and broadband, nothing to do with Sky TV.

My second question, is to do with the actual faceplate type thing he has connected directly to the phone line. Will this have a microfilter built in? If not, then my Sky HD box will effectively be connected directly to the phoneline, bypassing the required microfilter. Which leads me to my 3rd question, would this be the cause of my line showing a downstream line attentuation of 42 DB, with an upstream of 25Db ?

My line is in the test phase, and is sat around 2Mb/0.4Mb. I have seen the sync speed as 1.6Mb/0.9Mb though.

Any thoughts on the above novel would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Daniel
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-May-11 13:36:58
Print Post

Re: New Sky phoneline/broadband installed...

[re: danielno8] [link to this post]

Engineer was probably being helpful, ideally someone responsible would have been in the house to ensure they did the right thing - but I know that is not always possible.

As far as the sockets go. Are there 2 sockets on the front of the faceplate? One smaller than the other? If so, then the router goes in the smaller socket and the phone goes in the normal phone socket. The extension terminals on the back of the faceplate should be filtered and therefore no need for a filter further down (except possibly with a sky box which sometimes need to be "double filtered" to stop interference with broadband).

You can't run the router from a filter in the phone socket or the extension as the ADSL signal is not carried to them due to the faceplate (I am 99% sure it is this way, if not someone will correct me).

As far as speeds go you need to post the noise margin stats as well. That attenuation should give between 8 and 10Mb/s I would say and should have started at 4Mb. Full speed, attenuation and SNR stats would show more info.
Standard User danielno8
(newbie) Fri 13-May-11 14:02:18
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yep, tbh 9/10 it is helpful as it is a lot neater, was just curious as he didn't as my brother about it, just did it. No biggie though.

The faceplate just provides to normal phone sockets, to which i have a micro filter connected with my modem/telephone hanging off of. It's really just to know whether within this faceplate, there is a filter already provisioned for the Sky box's connction.

not sure understand what you mean by no running the router from a filter in the phone socket or extension?

I'll get the rest of the stats when i get home. My understanding was that 45 dB was VERY poor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate!

Daniel

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Fri 13-May-11 14:45:55
Print Post

Can you post up your sky router statistics, go to 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, username: admin password: sky

at the bottom click show statistics

copy and paste this page here. Should have noise margin, system uptime etc....
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-May-11 16:12:16
Print Post

If the faceplate has a single phone socket then it is VERY unlikely to have a built in filter. Therefore any telephony devices plugged in would need to be filtered.
Standard User danielno8
(newbie) Fri 13-May-11 16:42:38
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Will do soon as i get home cheers.
Standard User danielno8
(newbie) Fri 13-May-11 17:33:44
Print Post

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1845 kbps 945 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.5 dB 17.1 dB
Noise Margin 16.1 dB 11.3 dB

Here we go. I'm gonna see about removing the sky box connection, as i'm of the same opinion as oliver that it is unlikely to be filtered.

Thanks for all the replies!
Standard User danielno8
(learned) Fri 13-May-11 17:38:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by danielno8:
Connection Speed 1845 kbps 945 kbps
Line Attenuation 44.5 dB 17.1 dB
Noise Margin 16.1 dB 11.3 dB

Here we go. I'm gonna see about removing the sky box connection, as i'm of the same opinion as oliver that it is unlikely to be filtered.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ok so i just swapped it round and look at it now!

Connection Speed 5187 kbps 945 kbps
Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 26.9 dB
Noise Margin 7.1 dB 11.1 dB

Thoughts?
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Sat 14-May-11 16:38:59
Print Post

My first question is, why has he taken it upon himself to wire the phoneline to the Sky box? I understand it is Sky doing the phoneline, but they are two separate dept? Normally this would be a good thing i gues, as it is quite tidy, but i intended running a loose extension cable, simply as it is a rented property and not really supposed to make modifications. This isn't a big issue, just curious since his remit was to activate the phoneline and broadband, nothing to do with Sky TV

Any thoughts on the above novel would be greatly appreciated

When I first signed up to Sky TV the free sky box was on the condition thar I kept it connected to the phone line for the first year. Maybe that is why?

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Standard User danielno8
(learned) Mon 16-May-11 13:39:11
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NickyJ:
My first question is, why has he taken it upon himself to wire the phoneline to the Sky box? I understand it is Sky doing the phoneline, but they are two separate dept? Normally this would be a good thing i gues, as it is quite tidy, but i intended running a loose extension cable, simply as it is a rented property and not really supposed to make modifications. This isn't a big issue, just curious since his remit was to activate the phoneline and broadband, nothing to do with Sky TV

Any thoughts on the above novel would be greatly appreciated

When I first signed up to Sky TV the free sky box was on the condition thar I kept it connected to the phone line for the first year. Maybe that is why?

Yep i know i need to connect it to the phoneline, but i was surprised he did it since his remit would have been to activate the phoneline/broadband. Nothing to do with Sky TV.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to