User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zAndy1
(member) Sun 22-May-11 18:58:11
Print Post

Do I need a MAC code from talktalk?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Ordered Sky Broadband and line rental/talk today and was told I need a MAC code, I'm currently with talktalk on the Plus LLU package and talktalk are saying they can't give me a MAC code cos I'm on LLU and don't need one and they're only for IP stream customers. So do I need a MAC code to transfer from talktalk LLU to Sky unlimited LLU or not?

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-May-11 19:45:06
Print Post

Re: Do I need a MAC code from talktalk?

[re: zAndy1] [link to this post]

You don't need a MAC as you are on TT Full LLU (BB+non-BT line). However it is untrue that MACs are only for IPStream; they are also required for Partial LLU (BB over a BT line).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User zAndy1
(member) Sun 22-May-11 20:58:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks. Found this on the Sky FAQ page:-

'What if I can't get a MAC code?
Most broadband providers issue MAC codes. But if you receive your broadband from one of the few providers that doesn't, you need to contact them and cancel the broadband on your phone line.

You'll need to do the same if your broadband is provided through an 'LLU' broadband network (see also 'What is LLU?' below). It can take up to five days for your existing broadband to be cancelled, and another five days for BT's database - which we use for reference - to be updated.

So, once you've cancelled your existing broadband, it may take up to 10 days in total for your Sky Broadband to go live

If your current broadband service is from a fully unbundled provider (e.g. Talk Talk) you will not be able to use a MAC to switch broadband services as these are not available with fully unbundled services. In this case you'll need to order a new Sky phone line when you order Sky Broadband'

Well I've ordered a new line (at least I assume I have cos I paid Sky £39 to activate it), question is though when do I cancel my talktalk broadband, don't wanna be without my broadband connection for ages but it sounds like it could be up to 10 days from telling talktalk to cancel it before Sky can even start setting it up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-May-11 20:58:44
Print Post

[re: zAndy1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zAndy1:
Hi,
Ordered Sky Broadband and line rental/talk today and was told I need a MAC code, I'm currently with talktalk on the Plus LLU package and talktalk are saying they can't give me a MAC code cos I'm on LLU and don't need one and they're only for IP stream customers. So do I need a MAC code to transfer from talktalk LLU to Sky unlimited LLU or not?

Thanks

If you have your phone l( pay line rental and calls ) to talktalk as well as for the bb, you are fully unbundled aka( full llu or FMPF) the MAC process only is applicable to those isp's that offer a ADSL only (partial llu/SMPF) talk talk and sky do not use the standard MAC process for customers who are (FMPF) from reading this and other forums there are reports of people being able to migrate from talk talk to sky (FMPF)
But the problem being is most of sky's customer service team , are unaware that this can be done,or do not know how to go about arranging it on your behalf,

The alternative is you firstly need an active bt line, so that will mean either going via bt retail asking for a return to donor order, they may charge for this,likewise for the post office, unless you sign up to a calling plan, which of course will mean a minimum contract term(bt)
And other isp's would not be able to offer you service until the btw data base has been updated , also this could and most probably will involve some downtime for both telephony and adsl services, that is a well known pitfall of being fully llu'd unfortunately there is no seamless system in place for migrations

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 22-May-11 22:37:16)

Print Thread

Jump to