User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User exskystaff
(newbie) Thu 26-May-11 10:55:26
Print Post

What its like to work for Sky...

[link to this post]

Well i have finally left after working for Sky (be it through an out-sourced company) and just thought i would let you get an insight into the company... (not naming the firm)

If you internet goes down and you have connected to the test socket and swapped the filters YOU ARE FOOKED. Tier1 cannot call CST, the TL's wont chase it up and you are left with no broadband. We told to say 24-72hrs for a call back. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. Customers have to wait and wait, some up for weeks before CST contact them back. And that might just be a text asking for more information and then you have to start all over again.

Tier1 HAVE TO follow sky answers. A [censored] yes/no flow chart that is so poor its laughable. They cannot change from it. They have to follow it or they get pulled by their TL and fail their QA which means no bonus (which on the wages is a must)

The latest modem is a Sagemcom that has faulty firmware on it that makes it totally unusable. Sky know this and keep sending it out. So after you waiting for a month to get the internet, the modem wont work. They say there is new firmware being sent out, but it wont work cus the modem wont stay on long enough to download! You could try turning off the wireless, but 9 out of 10 cant get into the GUI

This new Sagemcom is meant to be wireless N. But the firmware has disabled this feature.Probably why it keeps crashing....

A replacement (2nd hand) router takes 3-5 working days. LOL yeah right...

If the lights go weird on your modem, they have to send a PSU. So, 3-5 working days for PSU which wont fix it, then another 3-5 working days for a new modem...

Upset? want to speak to a manager? NOT A CHANCE! They refuse to take calls. They get some agent off the floor to take your abuse. And nothing happens.

Actually get a manager? Think again. They probably just some agent that has gone through a [censored] in house training program that makes them a TL...

Even the managers cant email across to CST, they have to go through their Op's managers who filter out all the emails...

Using your own modem?? watch out... Sky is meant to be upgrading the software to detect if you using your own modem and will stop it from connecting. (This is just something i overheard, so not 100%)

I could go on and on about delays in signing up customers, modems not being sent out, power supply units being out of stock for weeks...

Oh yeah, if you do call. DO NOT CALL AT THESE TIMES the agents are finishing their shifts and just want to go home. They don't care. 4.30pm/5.30pm/6.30pm/10.30pm/11.00pm You are best calling in the morning, you will get more attention. If you call late at night, they just want you off the phone. 8hrs of abuse and not being able to do anything cus customer waiting for CST, would you want to stay any longer than needed on the phone??

Oh and don't be angry at the agents. It is very oppressive. TL's running around shouting at you for anything. Messages popping up on the screen to bully you. The staff turnover is scary. And they always pulling you in for one thing or another and all for less than £6 a hour...

I WILL NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. I MAY WANT A REFERENCE FROM THERE LOL
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 26-May-11 11:06:15
Print Post

Re: What its like to work for Sky...

[re: exskystaff] [link to this post]

do you feel better now after that vent..? wink a cup of http://www.pgtips.co.uk/ helps as well...

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-May-11 11:41:40
Print Post

Company name start with an F by any chance? lol

Sky Broadband
Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wifigeek
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-May-11 12:06:54
Print Post

The topic should really be called "what it is like to work for any callcentre / outsourced centre"

I have worked in at least three of them (not sky, but vodafone, CB/YB and an outbound centre) and have to say:

THEY ARE ALL AWFUL!

the same bullyboy antics are deployed from "managers" who do not have a clue how the systems work, refuse to take calls, promise callbacks and never return them etc.

do not make the mistake of moving from one callcentre to another, they are all the same. I am thankful enough to be out of the callcentre business (was there while at uni) and will never return.

Callcentres are generally full of uni students to get a bit of extra money to move on to something new - a lot of them are clueless, some of them are quite technical and can actually help - but are often hindered by scripts,middle management idiots and "stats" which basically means fob you off with any old [censored] or don't get your bonus and fail QA.

I would often get the same person call in 3 or 4 times after the first couple of people told them it would "fix itself after a few hours" or something similar, when generally it was something that can be fixed the first time round
and make the customer happy.

Thankfully I work for a great company these days that actually care about their employees - and it is *not* a callcentre!
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(regular) Thu 26-May-11 13:09:55
Print Post

Never worked in the industry however my assumptions of it appear to be correct, although I've looked after people who have!

My views are my experiences.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Thu 26-May-11 13:12:41
Print Post

None of what you've said surprises me.

But you want to watch that you haven't gone against any employment agreement you signed, by linking the information you've said in the post with the Sky 'brand' - they may come hunting for you, and cause even more misery in your life. Most companies have such a clause in their employment contracts these days, or some other agreement you must sign enforcing the same restrictions.

Anyway yes, glad you're out. Try and a find a smaller less corporate company to work for rather than companies who treat their employees like they are in a cattle market.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Thu 26-May-11 13:13:47)

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Mon 30-May-11 07:57:29
Print Post

You sure did not like that job did you.smile

Agreed it must be a thankless task as people ring up with problems and no doubt those in the firing line can unfairly cop it...it is not only unacceptable it is counter productive to be rude to the person in a call centre.

Whilst those instance you illustrate no doubt do occur I doubt it is commonplace as these boards tend to reflect an ISP that is failing badly consistently.

As for your first para where the BB goes down it happened to me last week, I left it an hour then rang. The contact at the other end was to my surprise not script driven, she was aware that it may be an exchange issue, did a remote test and confirmed that it was not responding and the that engineers were going to the exchange to resolve the problems,.......... and indicated that it would be fixed when it was fixed, no false promises....an honest approach. It was about an 8 hour outage.

Having contacted Sky in the past with issues with my Sky box I was fully expectiong to be told to stand on one leg hop round to the left six times, change legs,,,,,and oh yes....change the filters.tongue

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-May-11 15:24:37
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

Yeah I've no doubt Sky have some bad eggs like anywhere else, but generally support seems to be improving smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Fri 10-Jun-11 09:32:57
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sadoldman:
Having contacted Sky in the past with issues with my Sky box I was fully expectiong to be told to stand on one leg hop round to the left six times, change legs,,,,,and oh yes....change the filters.tongue

Now you forgot reboot router, reboot PC, plug into master socket, reinstall OS....

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Fri 10-Jun-11 11:25:24
Print Post

I disagree with being pleasant, your far more likely to get problems solved if you go ballistic.

Anyone with pride wouldn't do a job like that, so your not going to upset anyone deent.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to