User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Sun 12-Jun-11 12:34:14
Print Post

Re: MER / MTU / Respond to Ping???

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

My connection seems fine, what difference does doing this make?

My Broadband Speed Test
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:50:06
Print Post

[re: Tox_Laximus] [link to this post]

If you login to a sky router, click advanced>wan setup and read the help text on the right side it says...

Respond To Ping On Internet Port
If you want the Sky Router to respond to a 'Ping' from the Internet, click this check box. This can be used as a diagnostic tool. This can be a security problem. You shouldn't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.

My bro who services servers for a living said 'I tend to switch pinging off at the router to stop script kiddies finding a live IP they can port scan, there are no effects from switching this setting off.'

Some bad advice is spewing from this thread, there can be no good reason for someone advising this to be enabled.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:55:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tox_Laximus:
My bro who services servers for a living said 'I tend to switch pinging off at the router to stop script kiddies finding a live IP they can port scan, there are no effects from switching this setting off.'

Some bad advice is spewing from this thread, there can be no good reason for someone advising this to be enabled.
I won't be bothering him for any of my repairs. Without ping enabled TBB BQM won't work.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 00:48:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

I won't be bothering him for any of my repairs. Without ping enabled TBB BQM won't work.

I would like to advise you to make regular backups.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User mpellatt
(regular) Tue 14-Jun-11 17:09:56
Print Post

I would like to advise you that data falls into 2 categories:

Data that has been backed up.
Data that hasn't been lost yet.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 14-Jun-11 21:00:05
Print Post

I've already backed up the router smile

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jun-11 22:00:20
Print Post

If you login to a sky router, click advanced>wan setup and read the help text on the right side it says...

Text written by the marketing department and generally copying the first Netgear router with the option.

Ask your bro if he's used unix/linux nmap to scan a range of IPs through a firewall blocking ICMP and see if it slowed him down even 10%.

I advise you go and read about Path-MTU and how servers (that you probably want the best performance from) use ICMP echo to the destination (your router) to determine the optimal MTU to use.

None of this is secret or guessing or even security. Its understanding how TCP/IP works on a large network of networks.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jun-11 22:07:56
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I advise you go and read about Path-MTU and how servers (that you probably want the best performance from) use ICMP echo to the destination (your router) to determine the optimal MTU to use.

Path MTU Discovery uses ICMP Fragmentation Required, not ICMP Echo, so ping responses are not required from the router for this function to work.

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 16-Jun-11 22:13:59
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Path MTU Discovery uses ICMP Fragmentation Required, not ICMP Echo, so ping responses are not required from the router for this function to work.
That's not what it says here http://www.netheaven.com/pmtu.html

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jun-11 22:34:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's not what it says here http://www.netheaven.com/pmtu.html

From that page: "notifications arrive as ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) packets known as "fragmentation needed" ICMPs (ICMP type 3, subtype 4)".

ICMP Echo is ICMP type 0 and 8, Reply and Request, completely separate to ICMP type 3 used for Path MTU Discovery.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to