User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Elmlea
(regular) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:11:58
Print Post

Am I on ADSL, or ADSL2+....?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

You can read the thread detailing my first attempt at fixing this snag with Sky here.

I was getting a steady 4mbps from Sky, despite all my line stats pointing towards 7-8mbps being feasible. I contacted support and asked to be set to a gaming profile, which gained me 0.5mbps at the expense of half my upload sync speed. The tier 2 support guy also kindly said he'd send out an Openreach engineer just in case.

When the Openreach engineer got here, he said straight away after plugging his kit in that the problem was I was on regular ADSL, not ADSL2+. He said it's not uncommon; while Sky have their equipment in our exchange, I wasn't the first household he'd seen where my Sky connection was still being routed through the BT equipment.

Has anyone heard of this before? Despite the sync speeds being broadly similar to my old regular ADSL connection, when I saw upstream syncs of 900kbps and 768kbps I assumed I must be on ADSL2+?

I called support back, who first told me that I *was* on ADSL2, and there must be some other reason for the slow speed.

After contacting their Customer Solutions people, he then took me off hold and explained that the "Sky Voice and Broadband Network" in my area was oversubscribed, and therefore I couldn't be migrated across to ADSL2.

Anyone got any advice on how to follow this up? I'm not terribly happy with being told I'll get ADSL2 only to, well, not get it without anyone even telling me. Plus, the numerous excuses, plus people on the phone claiming I'm ADSL2 when an engineer in front of me proves I'm not make me think I might be getting the run around a bit.

What should I do now?

Edited by Elmlea (Sat 11-Jun-11 22:24:56)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:13:43
Print Post

Re: Am I on ADSL, or ADSL2+....?

[re: Elmlea] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Elmlea:
Hi all,

I was getting a steady 4mbps from Sky, despite all my line stats pointing towards 7-8mbps being feasible. I contacted support and asked to be set to a gaming profile, which gained me 0.5mbps at the expense of half my upload sync speed. The tier 2 support guy also kindly said he'd send out an Openreach engineer just in case.

When the Openreach engineer got here, he said straight away after plugging his kit in that the problem was I was on regular ADSL, not ADSL2+. He said it's not uncommon; while Sky have their equipment in our exchange, I wasn't the first household he'd seen where my Sky connection was still being routed through the BT equipment.

Has anyone heard of this before? Despite the sync speeds being broadly similar to my old regular ADSL connection, when I saw upstream syncs of 900kbps and 768kbps I assumed I must be on ADSL2+?

I called support back, who first told me that I *was* on ADSL2, and there must be some other reason for the slow speed.

After contacting their Customer Solutions people, he then took me off hold and explained that the "Sky Voice and Broadband Network" in my area was oversubscribed, and therefore I couldn't be migrated across to ADSL2.

Anyone got any advice on how to follow this up? I'm not terribly happy with being told I'll get ADSL2 only to, well, not get it without anyone even telling me. Plus, the numerous excuses, plus people on the phone claiming I'm ADSL2 when an engineer in front of me proves I'm not make me think I might be getting the run around a bit.

What should I do now?
Post your full line stats reported by your router.
What router do you have?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:16:10
Print Post

Your router will quickly confirm if you're on ADSL (G.992.1) or ADSL2+ (G.992.5)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Elmlea
(regular) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:19:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm using Sky's Sagem 2304N, which disappointingly won't report the G992.X details to me. I might try and stick on my spare router briefly and check that though...

Stats right now are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5220 kbps 412 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.5 dB 27.6 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 16.6 dB
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:21:31
Print Post

I'm using Sky's Sagem 2304N, which disappointingly won't report the G992.X details to me. I might try and stick on my spare router briefly and check that though...

Stats right now are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5220 kbps 412 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.5 dB 27.6 dB
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 16.6 dB
Sorry, I didn't realise you were cross-posting across the forums. Forget it.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Elmlea
(regular) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:23:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Apologies, had no idea that wasn't allowed. Is this more a technical issue, or a Sky issue? I'm now leaning to the latter, so I'll stop the technical thread and link to it here instead.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:27:48
Print Post

Apologies, had no idea that wasn't allowed. Is this more a technical issue, or a Sky issue? I'm now leaning to the latter, so I'll stop the technical thread and link to it here instead.
All your questions have already been answered in the other thread. I suggest you stick with that one wink

Standard User NickyJ
(member) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:28:18
Print Post

You may be be better off as you are. From the reading up I did the exchanges which are over subscribed get major slowdown at peak time there are lists on the forums which ones they are. If that is one of yours then if you are getting stable speeds you might be better staying there?

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Standard User Elmlea
(regular) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:33:04
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

Cheers Nicky, I'll look for this list and see if my exchange is one of them.

Thing is, if my peak speeds leap by almost 100%, then maybe even with some serious slowdown I'll still be better off? I mean, 8mbps most of the time sometimes slowing to 2.5 or 3mbps is maybe better than just 4mbps all the time?

If you come across the thread you mentioned before I do, any chance you could post a link?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Jun-11 08:34:56
Print Post

Connection Speed 5220 kbps

Well you're either on ADSL2 or ADSL2+.
The trick is to divide the connection speed by 32, if the result is an integer you can be almost 100% certain you're on ADSL1. If the result is not an integer you are on something which can connect in smaller step sizes than 32kbps (ADSL2/2+).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to