User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 14:07:10
Print Post

New Activation Speeds

[link to this post]

I have just activated to Sky today, and the speed check on my line says i should get this,

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 11.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 19Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 11.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 19Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest."

Just rang sky up and they say they cant do nothing for the first 10 days, at the moment my speed is at 4096 kbps, with a 7.5 dB noise margin left, now i cant see me getting this speed reported by this checker for my phone number, but it does say if i change to ADSL 2+ or ADSL 2+ Annex-M, would this make much more of an improvement, or is what i'm getting pretty much what i'm gonna get and Sky are talking rubbish again?.

UK Online Customer smile
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 15:03:19
Print Post

Re: New Activation Speeds

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

I think others have already commented on this. The speeds start at 4 and over the 10 days should rise. Give it a chance.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 16:11:01
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Yeah but would it also try ADSL2+ by itself over the 10 days, or does that need you to ring up and to actually tell them to try that to get the better speeds?.

UK Online Customer smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jun-11 16:43:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy_boi:
Yeah but would it also try ADSL2+ by itself over the 10 days, or does that need you to ring up and to actually tell them to try that to get the better speeds?.
DLM you will have to wait until it has finished, but as far as what sync speed you end up with ,in theory it should be somewhere near the same speeds you got with ukonline ( if you had the default profile interleave on) if you had fastpath,it will be a bit less on sky

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:10:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

With UK Online it was around the speed i'm getting now, but before when i put my number in, which has changed now it said i could only get like 6Mb on ADSL2+, now it is saying i can get speeds between 6Mb and 19Mb which it never said before, and when i check my number at most places it says 11Mb which it never said before on my old number, will the DLM thing only check speeds for the normal ADSL though, don they have to actually change it at there end to be put on ADSL2+ etc?.

UK Online Customer smile

Edited by tommy_boi (Mon 13-Jun-11 17:10:41)

Standard User BeachBoy
(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:14:29
Print Post

It's all automatic. Just be patient for DLM to finish, any problems then email them or ring them up, they are good at changing settings if you're not happy.

Vivaciti_LLU [C&W]
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:28:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy_boi:
With UK Online it was around the speed i'm getting now, but before when i put my number in, which has changed now it said i could only get like 6Mb on ADSL2+, now it is saying i can get speeds between 6Mb and 19Mb which it never said before, and when i check my number at most places it says 11Mb which it never said before on my old number, will the DLM thing only check speeds for the normal ADSL though, don they have to actually change it at there end to be put on ADSL2+ etc?.
You have a new number, have you moved address or is this a different additional line to that which used for the ukonline connection,or just a new number ?
Also which product where you on when with uko, ,pro upto 8mbit or premier upto 16mbit (capped )? as only the premier was adsl2+ maybe it would be easier for others to see what is going on if you posted your routers stats
What attenuation is the router reporting,? the router also give the adsl mode that it's connecting with,

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 13-Jun-11 17:32:33)

Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:28:51
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Yeah, mine started at the same for a day or 2, but now syncs at around 9000.

The original estimate for my line was 6mb, after the 10 days the sky site says my connection is 9mb, in reality it goes a max of nearly 8mb, which is much faster cheaper than my old provider.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Thu 16-Jun-11 01:28:13
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

This is some settings from my router

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 4,096
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 50.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 7.5

From these settings, i really cant see how i would get 6Mb or above like the checker says when i put my number in, i'll be lucky to get anything more than what i have now?.

UK Online Customer smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jun-11 01:44:42
Print Post

You'll never get much more than 5 Meg.

You must have a new phone # and the BT Checker is only reporting on where that # was before. It takes some time to catch up and, anyway, it's just an estimate. The only accurate way is by going by your router stats and your 50 dB Attn. says you have a fairly long line = low Sync speed.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to