User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rich1068
(member) Sun 19-Jun-11 22:17:06
Print Post

Sky vs. Be

[link to this post]

I've taken the plunge and ordered Sky Unlimited along with their TV, phone and line rental. At the moment I enjoy a faultless service from Be but wanted to roll all my providers into one and enjoy a little saving plus a bit more choice on the TV side of things.

Anyhoo, I've had a solid 10meg download from Be the entire time I've been with them. I know this is overly simplistic but will I get the same from Sky? Surely they're both LLU so nothing should change? Right? frown

Rich.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jun-11 22:49:06
Print Post

Re: Sky vs. Be

[re: rich1068] [link to this post]

Sky work to a to a 7db SNRM minimum and use DLM , so i would expect to lose a little of your download and upload from when you where at BE if your lines a good line , or lose allot if your lines not a good one .
Also Sky use a very heavy level of interleaving that may help or not but it does increase latency allot .
You could get this interleaving reduced by going on there gaming profile , so its not a huge issue , just something you should keep in mind .

Also Sky have a training period where they start your line at a 4mb sync then increase it till DLM or the 7db SNRM fix your speed , think this is over 10 days , i could be wrong about the length of time sky take to train your line though .

Vivaciti MurphX LLU
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jun-11 23:02:35
Print Post

It all depends on how important the sky telly is to ya really,. cause there isn't alot of difference between the the 2, apart from the one size fits all as far as sky are concerned , hell if i could afford to i would sign up to a Easynet connect product will beat the pants of both of em, fast path,custom profiling,lower contention and prioritised traffic flow with the compatible router of course and you get some results not rivaled by others, like others the only thing that lets it down is poor implementation the iwf block list they all choose cheapo mode unfortunately for the poor subscriber

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rich1068
(member) Mon 20-Jun-11 09:13:32
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

So deciphering the technical points in your replies, I shouldn't notice much difference? And 'gaming mode' can be enabled just like on Be. The line seems to be pretty good ie I've never had disconnections or speed fluctuations. Sky's speed estimate doesn't seem far off what I get now but who believes estimates? smile And yes they do quote 10 days for the line to settle but that's no problem.

Just a thought but would posting my existing Be line stats give an idea of what could happen with Sky?

Oh one more thing. As I understand it Sky supply a Netgear DG834G (they still make those!). Could someone point me in the direction of some advice about using my own DGN3500? I had a look round but didn't seem to find much info.

Rich.
Standard User tonym
(member) Mon 20-Jun-11 13:23:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by rich1068:
So deciphering the technical points in your replies, I shouldn't notice much difference? And 'gaming mode' can be enabled just like on Be. The line seems to be pretty good ie I've never had disconnections or speed fluctuations. Sky's speed estimate doesn't seem far off what I get now but who believes estimates? smile And yes they do quote 10 days for the line to settle but that's no problem.

Just a thought but would posting my existing Be line stats give an idea of what could happen with Sky?

Oh one more thing. As I understand it Sky supply a Netgear DG834G (they still make those!). Could someone point me in the direction of some advice about using my own DGN3500? I had a look round but didn't seem to find much info.

Sky supply other routers as well, so not sure which one you will get.

To use your own router you will nee to extract the username/password hidden in the router.

Ifyou pop over to the forums on skyuser.co.uk:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router... you can see if they have found a way to extract the details from the router sent to you

tonym
Standard User rich1068
(member) Mon 20-Jun-11 13:52:18
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

Spooky. Just found that but thanks for the link. I'll see how I go with whatever Sky send me but I've been happy with the DGN3500 and I've a feeling wireless range could be an issue with the Sky router. Gigabit LAN speeds are also a bonus.

Speaking of which, my Cat5e has been playing up. Maybe the Sky engineer will help me replace it for a cup of tea and the correct financial renumeration smile

Rich.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-11 13:53:55
Print Post

Well sky gaming mode is not the same thing as what be there offer, with be you could switch from interleave to fastpath or near as via the control panel if on unlimited or pro, and a call to support if you wanted pure fastpath, also by default the latency wasn't too bad on the default profile on be*
Where as on sky there is no option for the user to switch /change anything via a control pannel, sky don't provide one, and by default the latency is higher than be, they profess to do a gaming mode, all they basically will do is lower the delay ,and will no enable fastpath

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 20-Jun-11 13:54:48)

Standard User tonym
(member) Mon 20-Jun-11 14:33:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by rich1068:
Spooky. Just found that but thanks for the link. I'll see how I go with whatever Sky send me but I've been happy with the DGN3500 and I've a feeling wireless range could be an issue with the Sky router. Gigabit LAN speeds are also a bonus.

Speaking of which, my Cat5e has been playing up. Maybe the Sky engineer will help me replace it for a cup of tea and the correct financial renumeration smile

It will not be a SKY engineer, it would be a Openreach engineer.

Also are you sure that you have an engineer install, unusual this day and age for adsl.

And as i have already said ,there will be no problem using your own router. The problem comes in finding out your username/password that is embedded in the SKY supplied router.

Also using your own router on SKY woulod be breaking their T&C,but as you will also read on the forums, I like many others had or are using their own routers fore years and nobody has been cut off.
Obviousley, if you have a support request. mentioning that you were using a NON sky router would end the support call pronto.

Why is it tea and bickies nearly always work

tonym
Standard User rich1068
(member) Mon 20-Jun-11 16:37:43
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

Sorry, I was referring to when the Sky chap comes to fit the dish etc. I'm due to get the TV side of things this Friday and the broadband and line rental changeover the following Friday.

Yes, I read about the T&Cs. Like most I suppose I'll take my chance. Obviously I'll wait until the line has settled and see if I need to make the switch.

Rich.
Standard User dalmations
(learned) Wed 22-Jun-11 20:26:52
Print Post

Hi Rich, I have just gone over to Sky from O2 (before O2 I was with BE). I had about 12.5Mb download and 1.1 up. Since I have gone over I have about 13.2 down and 1 up. Everything went smoothly (thankfully). I do know that there are people that have problems, but that is the way of life. Thankfully mine went OK. It does take a few days to settle down as described earler. Mine took about 4 days. This is the latest test result.
Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-06-20 15:37:58)
Download: 13286 Kbit/s
Upload : 1024 kbit/s
Connects : 2353 conn/min
Ping: 27 ms
Good luck

Not everything in life is Black & White!

Edited by dalmations (Wed 22-Jun-11 20:28:21)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to