User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Mon 20-Jun-11 19:35:45
Print Post

Poor Customer Service

[link to this post]

I thought I would post this for those thinking of using Sky - more as a warning about the level of incompetence and the ease of use of the telephone systems, or lack thereof.

My client was on the phone today with Sky technical support for 90 minutes on an 0844 number as they were unable to access the net, IE8 nor Outlook.

It took me 5 minutes to find the problem - ipconfig showed no connection to the Sky router - resetting winsock and the IP interface resolved the issue. Surely these guys should be able to do this - viewing ipconfig results is a standard procedure to define any internet problem.

The client also wanted to revert from Outlook to Outlook Express - they didn't know their email password. Trying to get an answer from the Sky requires a degree in communications - it is extremely difficult to do this as Sky assumes yr email is working - obviously logic isn't one of Sky's strengths either.

All this on top of the contractual obligation to use their Sagem router.

My advice - keep away......
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 20-Jun-11 21:22:04
Print Post

Re: Poor Customer Service

[re: robmar0se] [link to this post]

If your client has Sky Talk, then the calls are free.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jun-11 21:33:35
Print Post

Sky email is always working on the web....

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-11 08:08:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

As I say. great if you don't have a password problem!

To clarify, If you do have a password problem, lost it, or whatever, and you need to reset it etc, Sky's system for "forgotten password" is to send it to vou via email. So what ever system you use to access email, be it webmail, if you can't get in, it doesn't actually help, does it?

But don't lets get hung up over this example, my overall point is that Sky's customer service concept is flawed, and in addition their staff when you do get though to them, don't appear to be well trained.
Standard User tcrooks3843
(learned) Tue 21-Jun-11 08:39:20
Print Post

As you say;
In reply to a post by robmar0se:
But don't lets get hung up over this example, my overall point is that Sky's customer service concept is flawed, and in addition their staff when you do get though to them, don't appear to be well trained.

If you believe this then you won't like Talk Talk, AOL, BT, Every Which Way But On, etc. You live a sheltered life.
Standard User robmar0se
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-11 09:03:37
Print Post

[re: tcrooks3843] [link to this post]

Dear Mr Crooks,

I see that you call yourself an IT consultant but you use, or used to use Pipex!! You may not appreciate that there other ISPs other than those you mention who do provide a better level of customer service. Suggest that you widen your horizons.. Incidentally you do mention BT, but at least our Indian chums for all their limitations don't get hung up the same way as Sky does (I don;t use any of these companies in case you wish to add to your comment).

Regarding my point on Sky's flawed system for password recovery, I don't think you understand, otherwise you wouldn't have found it necessary to make this unhelpful comment. How do you reconcile a system where you have lost your password and can't get into yr email (inc webmail!) where Sky's telephone/internet systems tell you that they won't do anything other then send you an email with the required info. How do you suggest that you square this circle?

Edited by robmar0se (Tue 21-Jun-11 09:08:21)

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Tue 21-Jun-11 11:28:23
Print Post

Post a temp password to address with which the account is registered.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 21-Jun-11 21:27:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by robmar0se:
How do you reconcile a system where you have lost your password and can't get into yr email (inc webmail!) where Sky's telephone/internet systems tell you that they won't do anything other then send you an email with the required info. How do you suggest that you square this circle?
Sky don't know the password. All they will do is set up another email address.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User The_Jimster
(committed) Wed 22-Jun-11 19:30:41
Print Post

Re: password reminder

i have not done it for a while but i am sure the password reminder does NOT use email as a method of recovery, is it not mothers maiden name, then you make a new one - job done, no need for email?

as for the level of competency (sp?) you state your client, do you run a massive multinational operation or a small business? this is not a dig, just pointing out, you will be able to give much better service to a small base but not be able handle the call volumes they do, as such (as your client found out) they can manage the volume but level of service is less technical

as for suggesting to stay away, i agree - if you need to ensure good service you might need to move somewhere else but you will also pay for it - if you have sky tv already tho, its pennies for the broadband compared to another provider offering a like for like service, what you need to work out is what you want beforehand, also, if your on their free talk package which also reduces the cost of broadband further the 0844 call will be free is it not?

please dont mistake the above for a defence of poor service, just maybe providing a bit of balance to your points?
  Print Thread

Jump to