User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Tue 21-Jun-11 17:20:34
Print Post

Migration to BT... AAARRGHHH!

[link to this post]

You just can't make it up, can you.

Sky have played 'silly [censored]' for the last couple of years. First, charging for broadband when it should have been free, as part of a package. Then, when this was queried, they used the excuse "we don't have equipment in your exchange". Fair enough, except that there was no mention in the offer of it "being subject to...". When it was proven to them that they had equipment, the excuse changed to "no free ports, but people wouldn't understand that so we say no equipment in the exchange". Stuck with paying £20p/m for a sub 2mb service with a 2gb cap, and chasing supposedly automatic refunds.

So the decision is made to cease SkyTalk and BB, and give BT Infinity a chance. With free migration, free setup, and a 40mb (30 from the cabinet, giggle) uncapped line... lets get some.

I ought to know my life is never that easy. I've always been thwarted trying to get broadband - back from when Jones Cable Company went bust in 93, to Telecential merging into Telewest into NTL (and cancelling/delaying cable each time), to moving to a house 7km from the exchange... why should suddenly being soooo close to an FTTC cabinet mean a change in luck!

BT call today because Sky have put a STOP on the line, and will not remove it. 3 hours spent on phone to Mumbai, Scotland and Yorkshire(!), and still cannot get the STOP removed. Why? because 'we' shouldn't have cancelled the service....

That is the sole explanation. "You shouldn't have cancelled". No reason, just spite. *WE* have to call *THEIR* IT department (wtff?) to have it removed. We cant escalate the issue (operators disconnect when asked to escalate)

Just screaming. Useless bunch of *****!

The views expressed here are mine alone, and do NOT reflect those of my employer, present or previous.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 21-Jun-11 17:41:55
Print Post

Re: Migration to BT... AAARRGHHH!

[re: alewis] [link to this post]

Oh dear. I am just about to do the same after getting absolutely nowhere with "Executive Support" regarding my sudden drop in sync speed. Even letters to Jeremy Darroch are unanswered - and here am I paying Sky over £95/mo - not for much longer mind.
Please let us know how you fare.
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Wed 22-Jun-11 13:02:31
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Fingers crossed - two hours on call to to 3 different parts of the company have hopefully unblocked the issue.

I'm tempting fate... we wont know until BT resubmit the order.

Sky CS tried to tell me they own the line and would never ever novate it back to BT, therefore we will have to have a new line installed. Sky CS2 - "I've sent an email ceasing the STOP". Sky CS3 (as the same time as #2) "The stop ceasation has been stopped".

Confused? Allegedly all 'order' activity on the line has ceased, it is "clear" and BT can resubmit the order.

If it fails.. well, BT are offering free line installation, so we will just cease the Sky Talk and BB, then have BT install a new second line. same result. Maybe even better, as it means a professionally fitted master socket, not one fitted by M***** H**** aka "Bodgett & Skarpa", and wont lose 30% from a 5m extension run (fitted inside the wall cavity...)

Now, off to dig out the posts for when Sky told me that they had no equipment in the exchange, as this has changed to "we always had kit, just no free ports".

The views expressed here are mine alone, and do NOT reflect those of my employer, present or previous.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spacemanc
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-11 12:47:43
Print Post

At the moment, Im in the process of changing from Sky to Orange (which is done by BT engineers I think, who is booked in to do it on Tuesday) What do you mean by Sky putting a stop on the line?
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-11 18:07:39
Print Post

[re: Spacemanc] [link to this post]

Well, a "STOP" depends on the context it is used in - and gets confusing.

We've the ceasation of the STOP stopped - does that make sense? Which means that BT can novate the line back, and provide Infinity. However, it has now been pushed back to July 11th... ARRRGH!

I'm a ferking broadband jinx, I am.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Fri 24-Jun-11 18:28:02
Print Post

Thank goodness I never went Full LLU. I kept my line with BT.

Other readers beware!!
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jun-11 18:30:14
Print Post

As you have not mentioned MAC CODE I'm lead to believe that maybe that's something you failed to ask sky for before you canceled the service using a mac code would of been a faster process, and as you where not on sky's llu for broadband or telephone the mac process would of applied here as both PSTN & ADSL services where resold bt wholesale products
and bt openreach own the line,not sky

As it is you canceled the sky service on your line without requesting a mac code first, the isp just place a cease order with bt openreach, this it's self can take some time to complete, but even after it has been ceased the isp's marker (tag) will still be on the line preventing other isp's providing a service on it, it can sometimes take some 3 weeks before the line is again clear,

Standard User alewis
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-11 20:38:21
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

MAC code is immaterial in this case; its not a change of dsl provider, but a complete change of telephony and access technology - cessation of all Sky provided services on the line, and routed via a different cabinet to different equipment.

Apparently, the real cause is that "we" (as in the customer) spoke to Sky. There is absolutely no need to do so. One places the order with BT, who handle the entire migration process, liaising with Sky (or whomever) on your behalf.

This may or may not be clear on the on-line order process, I didn't complete it. Certainly Sky know this, but never queried it when they took the call.

That said, both Sky and BT think that it shouldn't have happened... although given the last but one Sky rep told me that Sky own the line and will [b[never[/b] sell it back to BT so the only option is to pay BT for a new line (!! their words, not mine). And given that others have been told that they cannot port their number...

Sky are now adamant that the line IS on their equipment, and has been since January. The exchange is LLU, but Sky have finite capacity. They move customers from Connect to Sky (and BT lines to Sky, allegedly wink ) as and when ports become available.

Roll on July 11th...

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 24-Jun-11 21:09:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by alewis:
Apparently, the real cause is that "we" (as in the customer) spoke to Sky. There is absolutely no need to do so. One places the order with BT, who handle the entire migration process, liaising with Sky (or whomever) on your behalf.
That's certainly my understanding. As always, trying to do the right thing tends to lead to trouble.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-11 21:27:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
]That's certainly my understanding. As always, trying to do the right thing tends to lead to trouble.

I have the opposite problem wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to