User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Argy70
(newbie) Fri 24-Jun-11 15:49:33
Print Post

Fibre

[link to this post]

My brother who lives in Northolt (NW London) has been given a 2yr free trial of a Sky Fibre product today. His speed has gone from 3.4 to 90!!!

Is this the joint venture with TalkTalk? Fibre runs into the house which will hurt Infinity hopes in the area.
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Fri 24-Jun-11 17:26:12
Print Post

Re: Fibre

[re: Argy70] [link to this post]

I bet it's truly unlimited without shaping too.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-11 23:30:06
Print Post

Would be good if he can post some more info on the trial (if he's not signed any non disclosure agreement).

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~832 Kbps

Edited by Yaz (Fri 24-Jun-11 23:30:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tonym
(member) Sat 25-Jun-11 15:33:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Argy70:
My brother who lives in Northolt (NW London) has been given a 2yr free trial of a Sky Fibre product today. His speed has gone from 3.4 to 90!!!

Is this the joint venture with TalkTalk? Fibre runs into the house which will hurt Infinity hopes in the area.

2 year trial, doesn't look like Sky will have it available for their customers for quite awhile then

tonym
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jun-11 01:01:06
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

http://skyhispeedbb.com/pages/faqs/

Be* Unlimited
Standard User tonym
(member) Sun 26-Jun-11 10:04:45
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nredwood:
http://skyhispeedbb.com/pages/faqs/

Thats a laugh, that page has been up about a year, I dont think it been updated in that time either.

I have no doubt that SKY will offer a Fibre package at sommmmmme time, but they are sitting back and waiting for the right time and more so the right price for them. I believe it will be 6 months at least before Sky start a fibre service for the general public

tonym
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 26-Jun-11 10:09:48
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

©2009 BSkyB Ltd All Rights Reserved

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jul-11 15:44:02
Print Post

All part of http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4568.html I would suggest.

They will learn the costs/difficulties of doing it, and then be able to project costs for other areas.

3,600 homes is a mere blip compared to the number of homes Openreach is passing with FTTC each week. Sky is likely to adopt Openreach FTTC for a lot of the country.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spacemanc
(newbie) Fri 01-Jul-11 17:50:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
3,600 homes is a mere blip compared to the number of homes Openreach is passing with FTTC each week. Sky is likely to adopt Openreach FTTC for a lot of the country.

That article gives the impression that the Sky trail is FTTH (and the OP quoting speeds of 90 would seem to indicate that) If that is the case, it doesn't compare too badly with the 10000 installations that BT FTTP has achieved so far. Theyre pretty lucky customers getting FTTH free for 2 years!

Also it will be interesting if Sky adopt Openreach FTTC - surely then it will not be LLU, and they will have to pay for bandwidth? That would cost them a fortune, because they've attracted alot of heavy users due to their (lack of) FUP policy and also they've recently rolled out their Anytime+ service which I imagine also uses large amounts of bandwidth even for people who dont use the internet! With them partnering with TT on the trial, whats the chances of them thinking of biting the bullet and installing their own FTTP network shared with the other LLU suppliers? It would cost a fortune, but it might be cost effective in cities.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Jul-11 20:17:51
Print Post

[re: Spacemanc] [link to this post]

There is provision for handover to the ISP's own backhaul

Be* Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to