User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markdixon
(regular) Thu 30-Jun-11 21:57:33
Print Post

What is Sky BB like

[link to this post]

Ok, simple question... currently on Orange, was ADSL2 LLU but now have been screwed over and on <7mbit from over 19mbit. Looking at my options, which are severely limited on the SLARM exchange, and one of my options for ADSL2/LLU is Sky...
Quick look on their site and for a new customer I can get SkyHD & ADSL for pretty much the same as I pay Orange for phone/ADSL which has been crippled in the last month.

As a household, we are heavy users of broadband, with at least 1 person using BBC iPlayer or some other streaming site constantly and I use newsgroups for downloading stuff and dont want to get stuck with a lengthy contract and capped rates.
I dont mind restricting the times that people use the sites or when downloading is done to through the night.

And obviously I'd go for the top BB package.

ta!

Orange LLU Home Max
DG834N with DGTeam firmware
Quad core Q6600 - Ubuntu - 4gb RAM - 1.8tb HD space
Standard User CommandQ
(newbie) Thu 30-Jun-11 22:30:57
Print Post

Re: What is Sky BB like

[re: markdixon] [link to this post]

It's great, no throttling, so always full speed and truly unlimited downloads. Here's my sync right now:

DownStream Connection Speed 19040
UpStream Connection Speed 1018

It increases and decreases by about 500kbps each time I re-sync.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Thu 30-Jun-11 23:36:18
Print Post

It's fine. I get 15 meg sync and get speeds usually around 13 meg, sometimes it slows down to around 9 meg but this isn't often and for the price still fab

Torrents etc are not throttled.

Can't say I have any intention of switching, personally I'd prefer this to BT Fibre. Just because there's no limitations whereas BT might throttle me down to God knows what on p2p etc.

Just make the move.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User _Resonance_
(learned) Fri 01-Jul-11 07:32:20
Print Post

Always good and fast. No slowdowns, no throttling, no problems.

Make sure you get on Sky BB unlimited as their Sky Connect (non-LLU) service is apparently terrible.

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User greenglide
(member) Fri 01-Jul-11 09:21:17
Print Post

[re: CommandQ] [link to this post]

Your choice of ISP isnt brilliant is it!

Normally I wouldnt go back to SKY if you paid me! Although there are no caps and no throttles their DLM system is appalling cutting a line with a potential 21MB/s down and 1.2MB/s upload to 14MB/s and 768KB/s. Repeated calls to SKY got nowhere as the normal concept of setting a target SNR and syncing to that limit is totally alien to them. The responses I got were "we have tried giving you an extra 1MB/s and the line isnt stable". Absolute rubbish.

Moved to BE and immediately synchronised much higher and on setting the SNR to 3dB (short, stable line) it provides a steady 21MB/s down and 1.2MB/s rock solid.

SKY use this, presumably, to keep support costs low by never running the line flat out.

With an option of SKY, TalkTalk, Tiscali (and PlusNet?) they are pretty much of a muchness if you will not (for whatever reason) use Orange.

Both TalkTalk and SKY will unbundle the whole line (not just the data by Shared Metallic Path) if you take both their voice and data services - this does have disadvantages (or used to) as it is difficult to get away from them in future.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Now with BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload! Never happier!
Standard User Pokerdaz
(newbie) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:13:33
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I'm regretting going to Sky. I have two lines to the house, both with broadband. I have a reliable 2.4 Mbps (3.0 Mbps connection) download with BT on one line whilst the other is only 1.6 Mbps (2.0 Mbps connection) with Sky and is subject to large fluctuations.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jul-11 11:04:14
Print Post

I've seen some real horror stories with DLM. On my line I've got my profile set to 18 meg (which I can't reach on a 7dB margin anyway) so effectively I'm always synching according to a 7dB margin. However there are cases where DLM cuts the line right down to silly speeds, and the staff seem unable to set a higher profile manually. As to why the systems don't allow it, perhaps due to line noise or errors, I don't know.

To the OP: Sky has been fine for me, no appreciable difference to O2 LLU other than latency being a little higher and target margins not going lower than 7dB.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Fri 01-Jul-11 11:06:10)

Standard User Spacemanc
(newbie) Fri 01-Jul-11 11:12:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by greenglide:
With an option of SKY, TalkTalk, Tiscali (and PlusNet?) they are pretty much of a muchness if you will not (for whatever reason) use Orange.

Both TalkTalk and SKY will unbundle the whole line (not just the data by Shared Metallic Path) if you take both their voice and data services - this does have disadvantages (or used to) as it is difficult to get away from them in future.

Exactly. I've just left Sky LUU, and if you want to use any other provider after being LLU with them, you will probably lose your BB for a fortnight and your phone number too, and you will definitely have to buy a "reconnected line" at a cost of £50-130.

Their BB is a pretty good deal, especially if you're a heavy downloader and TV subscriber (You only get the £7.50 BB deal if you renew your 12 month contract TV - otherwise its £15) Definitely consider them for BB - just dont go LLU or phone with them.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Jul-11 12:13:01
Print Post

Had Sky LLU for 12months no issues at all, getting full 20meg/1meg - changing to Infinrity in the next 2weeks though, for no other reason other than the extra speed and lower pings

Sky Broadband Unlimited
BT Infinity on 13th July
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 01-Jul-11 19:30:25
Print Post

[re: Spacemanc] [link to this post]

Whats the problem with the phone number. I thought your could keep your number no matter what supplier you use. So SKY should give it back?

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to