User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Xbandito
(member) Mon 18-Jul-11 10:50:50
Print Post

Quite Happy with Sky....

[link to this post]

I have nothing to moan about...unusual for me....with Sky, on my 5th DLM day and my speed is now at 15mbs and 1mb up.
I am considering reporting a BT telephone operator, who called us up to ask why we were leaving and was there anything she could do to keep us with BT. When I said no, mainly cause of price and speed, she lowered it by £10 and apologised that she could no do anything about the speed, she then asked who I was going to, when I said Sky, she said...."well you will only get 8mb with them, as they are using our equipment at your exchange". Yeah right, third of the price of BT and double the speed at the moment, think she was telling porkies.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(regular) Mon 18-Jul-11 11:19:25
Print Post

Re: Quite Happy with Sky....

[re: Xbandito] [link to this post]

Mmm, you have to question their tactics. In reverse to this, recently I had TT and Sky offer me their services recently, however stuck with Bt until December, they have both stated that line speed will be well under what Bt can offer me on, upto 8meg service, even though this will be their own services. This is contrary to what I think I know and what everyone and everything tells me!

My views are my experiences.

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Mon 18-Jul-11 11:20:27)

Standard User robzki
(regular) Mon 18-Jul-11 11:23:10
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

Sky told me the speeds I would get if I moved to them would be much greater due to bt holding some of the service back for 'overheads' and that sky have a much better contention ratio........

.....they lied,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xbandito
(member) Tue 19-Jul-11 15:51:41
Print Post

[re: robzki] [link to this post]

Update - 6 Days with DLM testing and speed up to -:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 16380 kbps 1105 kbps
Line Attenuation 17.5 dB 10.9 dB
Noise Margin 6.4 dB 9.1 dB

Double the speed off BT and a third of the cost.....
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jul-11 16:13:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Xbandito:
Update - 6 Days with DLM testing and speed up to -:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 16380 kbps 1105 kbps
Line Attenuation 17.5 dB 10.9 dB
Noise Margin 6.4 dB 9.1 dB

Double the speed off BT and a third of the cost.....
Definitely a big increase in speed compared to btw ip stream ect , but you should and hopefully will end up with the max sync that sky offer technically that is 24mbit down & 1.2mbit up, but in real terms much less as they cap both up and down sync speeds
I have a 28-29db attenuation when a was with ukonline ADSL2+ on a 4 db snr my sync was 19.5mbit but that was with fastpath enabled, something that sky for some unknown reason will currently not provide , my connection was not subject to any form of DLM, so although it is better than bt (which isn't hard really) it should be capable of more than you are getting now, my guess is you will get around 20mbit or should do

Standard User Spacemanc
(learned) Thu 21-Jul-11 13:31:08
Print Post

It goes both ways. In my experience EVERYONE I ever spoke to at Sky talked utter BS and constantly tried to sell to me. II was repeatedly lied to regarding charges etc, and I'm currently going through the complaints procedure with Ofcom regarding this.

I've since left Sky (not easy if you are LLU with them), and I'm now on BT's 21CN service with Orange. My speeds are faster in every way by quite a margin.
Standard User Xbandito
(member) Fri 22-Jul-11 08:33:40
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

9 Days in and still at 16380 kbps down 1105 kbps up, got a funny feeling that is it.....but hey, double the speed of BT (in this area) and at a third of the cost, so happy bunny here smile
  Print Thread

Jump to