User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sparky76
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 12:51:31
Print Post

Non Sky Router... Help ....

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have a Netgear DGN1000 which I would like to use on my Sky line. I have the username and password for my account but the router will not connect to the internet. I have read that Sky block certain Routers that are not their own but would like to know if there is anyway around this...
I know that this is breaking their T&Cs by not using their equipment but am willing to risk this seeing as I used my own Belkin for some time without any hassle...

Reason I want this to work is because it has wireless n, which when i have two kids online gaming on Xbox would benefit me greatly for the range...

Router I have at the moment is Netgear DG834gt if this helps..
Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:00:47
Print Post

Re: Non Sky Router... Help ....

[re: sparky76] [link to this post]

is it an adsl router or cable routre?

If it not got an adsl modem built int you will need to and the easist way is to just connect it to the sky router. If its adsl router then pop oiver to skyuser.co.uk they got a guide on how to extract the details
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:05:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by sparky76:
Hi,

I have a Netgear DGN1000 which I would like to use on my Sky line. I have the username and password for my account but the router will not connect to the internet. I have read that Sky block certain Routers that are not their own but would like to know if there is anyway around this...
I know that this is breaking their T&Cs by not using their equipment but am willing to risk this seeing as I used my own Belkin for some time without any hassle...

Reason I want this to work is because it has wireless n, which when i have two kids online gaming on Xbox would benefit me greatly for the range...

Router I have at the moment is Netgear DG834gt if this helps..

This router is meant for a cable connection

In the UK it will only work on virginmedia, provided you are an old existing customer with a modem supplied.

Even VM nowadays supply a modem router. So if you subscribed to VM today, you'd be unable to use this.

All in all you need a modem router, not just a router.

Sky do not block any modem router from connecting, the customer just can't set it up properly.

You could try using it in conjunction with the sky modem router however things like UPNP may not work correctly and other features may also cease to work.

EDIT: realised I've just basically repeated what Cobra001 said. So yep I agree

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 19-Aug-11 13:07:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sparky76
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:28:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The router is an ADSL router..

Same as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DGN1000-150Mbps-Wire...

On the status page for the router it shows my synch speed but no internet connection..

I have looked at Skyuser for any help but to no avail....

That is where I read that Sky block some routers but not all.....
Standard User sparky76
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:32:27
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cobra001:
is it an adsl router or cable routre?

If it not got an adsl modem built int you will need to and the easist way is to just connect it to the sky router. If its adsl router then pop oiver to skyuser.co.uk they got a guide on how to extract the details

I have my login details which I had from my original Netgear. Are there any other details I need apart from them????

I have also done a factory reset and checked the VPI VCI numbers...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:32:57
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Get your facts write
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessroute...

Supports ADSL2+

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:33:57
Print Post

1. Is the modem seeing the ADSL signal?

2. What settings have you set?

3. Have you tried the auto detect connection wizard?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:41:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by sparky76:
The router is an ADSL router..

Same as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DGN1000-150Mbps-Wire...

On the status page for the router it shows my synch speed but no internet connection..

I have looked at Skyuser for any help but to no avail....

That is where I read that Sky block some routers but not all.....

I am sorry about this I quickly googled it and saw it listed under cable modems on a website.

It is meant for adsl connections

I have personally had no issues setting up routers on sky however once again I stand corrected, apparently sky do blacklist some routers according to various forums

I will let the others help you as I'm having an off day it seems!
Standard User sparky76
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:50:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
1. Is the modem seeing the ADSL signal?

2. What settings have you set?

3. Have you tried the auto detect connection wizard?

ADSL signal is being seen as it shows my synch speed.

I havent changed any settings. Only thing I have done is enter my Sky username and password - extracted from my original router. I checked the ppoa VCI VPI settings against the original and all were the same so left them alone.

Tried the setup wizard but still no internet..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:05:06
Print Post

If you cannot get the DGN1000 working and are sure setup is identical, then you can use the 1000 to provide wireless off of the existing Sky router.

To do this you are basically converting the DGN1000 into a wireless access point (had advantage you can also site it to provide best coverage, rather than just next to a phone socket).

1. Connect to the DGN1000 to a computer using an ethernet cable
2. Ensure that this is the only thing connected via Ethernet or wireless to the DGN1000
3. In its web interface, disable the DHCP server
4. If the IP address of the DGN1000 is the same as the Sky router, then change the default LAN IP address on the DGN1000 to something different e.g. 192.168.1.200 (write this underneath the router as you will forget it)
5. Connect the DGN1000 to the Sky router, i.e. ethernet cable between a LAN port on both routers.
6. the wireless will continue to work, and IP settings will be handed out by the Sky router
7. If you need to change any wireless settings then goto http://192.168.1.200 (or IP you used) and the DGN1000's web interface will be available

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to