User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sat 20-Aug-11 17:06:22
Print Post

Exchange Distance / Sync

[link to this post]

About to get connected next week and was wondering what kinda sync i will get, according to samknows i am 1.27km away, any ideas, or is anyone else that far from the exchange on here and can tell me your sync?.

UK Online Customer smile
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 20:56:41
Print Post

Re: Exchange Distance / Sync

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

Impossible to tell really, the sync is obviously governed by cable length (rather than direct distance).
Your cable could be anything from 1.3km up to maybe 10km (depending on BT's routing).

Unless you can find out your current line attenuation (or that of a neighbour) it's going to be difficult to guess at an ADSL2+ sync speed.
I'm twice the distance as you (but BT took the scenic route when installing the cable, so my cable is twice the direct distance - the UK average is closer to 1.4x) and I can sync at around 5Mbps (with a 3dB target margin) and around 4Mbps with a 6dB target.

I wouldn't expect your cable to be much longer than maybe 3km, so I'd have thought you'd get a sync somewhere between 8 and 16Mbps.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Sat 20-Aug-11 20:56:55)

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sun 21-Aug-11 05:55:07
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

I would of thought BT would take the less scenic route to save them money, i could ask a neighbour i guess but only just moved in here so would feel a bit weird asking someone if they have internet and what there attenuation is, they probably wouldn't know what i am talking about lol, surely it also depends on what the line quality is like, i have looked about where i live now and cant see any telephone poles, is this a good or bad thing, how else would the line come in the house, under the ground, if so does this make the line better quality or worse not coming from a pole?.

UK Online Customer smile

Edited by tommy_boi (Sun 21-Aug-11 05:56:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-11 18:22:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy_boi:
I would of thought BT would take the less scenic route to save them money

They're more likely to save money by utilising existing cable ducts (even if it involves taking the pretty roite) as copper is much cheaper than digging trenches and installing new ducting.
As an example, my direct distance to the exchange is 2.65km. The road route (the main road which goes past my house also goes past the exchange) is 3.21km - this would be the most sensible router for a cable as this road has cabinets all along it.
My actual cable length is 5.23km (6.94km if you believe BT's dodgy database).
So; for me (and the other few hundred homes on this estate), BT have used at least 2km more copper than they would have needed by following the main road - presumably to save on installing new ducts (maybe the existing ones were full).

As for underground wires - fantastic! They are far more immune to night time interference as overhead wires (most of which is caused by long distance AM radio stations operating on the same frequencies as ADSL).
I have underground wires (all the way back to the exchange) and my 5.23km line can hold sync for weeks with a target margin on 3dB.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Mon 22-Aug-11 03:05:14
Print Post

The only real way of telling then is to wait until the line gets activated, i guess the line could take the short route or the long route, that all comes down to luck i guess, i just hope BT took the short route as i would be rather annoyed if when i get connected my connection is just the same or worse than i got in my other house which is further away from the exchange than this house is.

UK Online Customer smile
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-11 09:36:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy_boi:
The only real way of telling then is to wait until the line gets activated,

Exactly. Postcode checkers are reasonably accurate, but are still based on line length data held in BT's database (which can be wildly inaccurate).
The best bet is to enter your postcode in the BT Wholesale checker here and assume you'll get more than the estimated ADSL2+ speed (in my case, I get just over twice the "estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps").

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Tue 23-Aug-11 02:29:48
Print Post

It says this for ADSL2+, so what kinda speed would i be looking at, the speed stated there or could it be more or less?.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 12.5Mbps.

UK Online Customer smile
Standard User Gambloid
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 19:41:34
Print Post

Like the other guys have said you really need to get the line installed and post your stats. The fact they are quoting between 5 and 12Mbps proves how accurate the checkers are.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Aug-11 19:53:34
Print Post

In almost every case I'm aware of (excepting very noisy lines or those with a lot of aluminium in the cable run) the eventual sync speed is normally at the top end of the quoted range (sometimes higher still).
In my case; I get at least a 30% higher sync speed than the top of my quoted range.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Wed 24-Aug-11 13:23:28
Print Post

Re: My Router Stats

[re: Gambloid] [link to this post]

Just got connected, these are my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4095 kbps 606 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.5 dB 18.1 dB
Noise Margin 16.3 dB 16.0 dB

UK Online Customer smile

Edited by tommy_boi (Wed 24-Aug-11 13:42:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to