User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-11 19:46:04
Print Post

DLM

[link to this post]

With the sky DLM thing, if my line gets disconnected for whatever reason, say i had to switch it off and then the speed dropped cause of this, will the speed go back up if the line is stable again for whatever time, is this the same case before and after the 10 day period, or will the speed just drop when the router is switched off within the 10 days and not after this time period?.

Sky Broadband Customer smile
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 19:49:47
Print Post

Re: DLM

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

As you rang up and got the line profile set manually, essentially DLM is now disabled on your line.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-11 19:55:05
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I think they did say that DLM was still active on my line for 10 days, the reason i asked this question in the first place is my router just got turned off, and when the router come back online the sync was lower?.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:03:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy_boi:
I think they did say that DLM was still active on my line for 10 days, the reason i asked this question in the first place is my router just got turned off, and when the router come back online the sync was lower?.

That can happen, regardless of DLM. How much lower?

Oliver.
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:08:34
Print Post

Not much lower, maybe 200kbps, just wanted to know if it will do it all the time, and more to the point will i get that speed i've lost back, i know its not much, but still.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:18:41
Print Post

I suspect you are on a manual line profile, so yes, you'll get the speed back if you resynch during a less noisy time.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:29:43
Print Post

Ok then, is there a way to check if your on DLM or not, plus i am not sure if it has anything to do with noise or not, but the SNR hardly ever moves on my line be it day or night as our telephone cables are underground and the BT engineer said they are normally the better to have than off the telephone poles, i'm guessin SNR is to do with the line noise, cause on my other line i had in another house at night the SNR would go down quite a lot, so i'm guessin the line noise was worse at night?.

Edited by tommy_boi (Fri 26-Aug-11 20:30:38)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:35:48
Print Post

You should see DLM's current speed in your Sky control panel (although the figure will be wrong if the line has been set manually to a different profile).

Oliver.
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-11 00:17:50
Print Post

I have been put on DLM now, as i rang up earlier cause the router had died on me for some reason, got it working again but the bloke said my line profile was all messed up so he has put my connection back down to 10Mb, but said it should improve within 24hrs and should go up to 16Mb, he is gonna call me back tomorrow night and if the line has been stable he may change the speed manually.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Aug-11 13:27:02
Print Post

Ok, let us know how you get on. DLM profile changes usually happen around 2am to 3am, every day, until "settled".

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to