User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Fri 02-Sep-11 23:26:39
Print Post

Upload Sync

[link to this post]

Is there a way to get my upload speed up, i've spoke to the sky tech and they say no, but are they just saying this, what do you guys think, this is my line stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 14128 kbps 765 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.5 dB 18.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.9 dB 14.7 dB

Sky Broadband Customer smile
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Sep-11 23:43:30
Print Post

Re: Upload Sync

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy_boi:
Is there a way to get my upload speed up, i've spoke to the sky tech and they say no, but are they just saying this, what do you guys think, this is my line stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 14128 kbps 765 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.5 dB 18.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.9 dB 14.7 dB
the max upload sync for sky is around 1300kbps, but there isn't many who see that but 1100-1200kbps should be easily achieved going by your routers stats
but with a snr of 14.7-15db you won't get anywhere near it, sky have set it @ 15db to cap it no other reason,.the line will support a higher upload sync than sky currently offer the upstream snr should be a lot lower

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-11 00:04:32
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

So it is sky that are restricting it then, i am guessing the upload sync i've got is what everyone is on if that is there cap?.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Sep-11 00:44:24
Print Post

So it is sky that are restricting it then, i am guessing the upload sync i've got is what everyone is on if that is there cap?.
your upload sync is lower than what most people get, 1100kbps + on lines than are able to support it, you would see that if they manually set the upstream target snr to a lower value the sky default target snr is i believe 7db , ring them and ask for it to be set to a lower value, they may say they can't blah blah blah, but if you can get to their tier 2 support they should do it,

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-11 01:26:35
Print Post

Has any other sky customers managed to get there upload highered, i think they told me that if they make my upload better than it is, they will have to lower my downstream, is this correct?.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Sep-11 05:07:40
Print Post

Has any other sky customers managed to get there upload highered, i think they told me that if they make my upload better than it is, they will have to lower my downstream, is this correct?.
based on the stats you posted i would say no, as i have similar stats to you, and the increase in upload speed sync aint goning a lot as it's 768kbps now, on ukonline with a 4db margin it got 19.5mbit down and 1214kbps up my up snr was still around 7-8db maybe higher my atten was 28 down 15db up but i had fastpath also

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 03-Sep-11 05:08:16)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-11 08:50:46
Print Post

they told me that if they make my upload better than it is, they will have to lower my downstream, is this correct?.

No; complete rubbish (but typical of the gibberish most 1st line support staff give out - basically either anything to make you go away, or just complete guesswork as they know little about the product - other than what's on their script).

ADSL2+ will support up to around 1.3Mbps upstream without having to lower the downstream. Annex M will boost the upstream further (providing your line is short enough), but this will reduce the downstream and I don't even know if Sky offer it in the first place.

My line is with BE (but also on ADSL2+).
My current upstream is 1.1Mbps, with a 36dB upstream line attenuation (58dB downstream), but to achieve this sync BE have me on a 3dB target margin (which applies to both up & downstream).
Your line will support the full 1.3Mbps (providing Sky offer it - a lot of providers around the World cap upstream sync speeds), but as Tommy45 has said, you may not do that with a 15dB target margin.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Sep-11 10:57:01
Print Post

Have you requested the gaming profile from Sky?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-11 18:25:33
Print Post

If you have similar stats to me how come you have managed to get 16Mb out of your line, also would it be worth me ringing them up then and asking them to make my upload better, as it seems from posts from here that they are just telling me anything?.

Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-11 18:26:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No i haven't, would this be how i would get my upload better?.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to