User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jbpf77
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 08:57:29
Print Post

Sudden slow browsing speeds but Usenet speeds unaffected?!

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm on the Sky Broadband Max LLU package. I've got a Netgear 934 (the black one with dimples all over). Up til two weeks ago I was getting great download speeds, on every online speed checker I was getting 16 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, pretty good for these sync rates...

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 17913 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1181 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

I switched my router off for a week while on holiday, now that I'm back I'm getting http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13151...
0.6 Mbps down and 1Mbps up!!

I've done the usual checks, the speed is the same wired or wireless, different laptops and a mobile phone all get the same results, antivirus and spyware checks complete, Xbox Live is slow downloading as well etc etc. Sky have checked from their end and they can't see any problems so it's been passed to the next tier for investigation.

Here's the strange bit:

If I download from Usenet (using Giganews) I get the same full download speed as I always get, 18Mbps+. The slow download speeds which are lower than my upload only seem to occur when browsing and downloading from the web, on xbox live, and on torrent downloads.

Can anyone help? Thanks...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-11 10:29:43
Print Post

Re: Sudden slow browsing speeds but Usenet speeds unaffected

[re: jbpf77] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jbpf77:
Hi,

I'm on the Sky Broadband Max LLU package. I've got a Netgear 934 (the black one with dimples all over). Up til two weeks ago I was getting great download speeds, on every online speed checker I was getting 16 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, pretty good for these sync rates...

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 17913 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1181 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
Are the sync rates still the same?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User shrimper1
(regular) Sun 04-Sep-11 12:58:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You ain't alone, look how my experience started @ below link. I've been with Orange since 2009, connected up an Orange replacement NETGEAR router last week, as our SIEMENS one kept dropping off line, everything was much better, then CRASH!
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/t/4037610...
Latest status with Orange, is that they are working with my local BT exchange to reset my IP Line Profile (or something like that). I've also emailed one of the Orange directors, as this "work with BT" (that takes "48 hours" as been offered up three times over the last week or so). They now know that if ain't sorted, it's the MAC number request, and off to the next bunch of ISP bandits frown
Also see my other Orange thread "An all time low! - Upload is higher than Download??"
Good luck !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jbpf77
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 15:26:11
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah, those are my current sync rates, they're the same as they always were. noise ratios are good too.
Like I say, I can download a file from Giganews at over 18Mbps, in between speed tests which show a download speed of less than 1. I think the line is physically fine but something is slowing down my internet traffic, probably at Sky...
Standard User shrimper1
(regular) Sun 04-Sep-11 15:33:00
Print Post

My bet is that it is SKY & your local exchange. I've been told nothing happens @ the weekend @ BT exchanges, so any correction to line settings are Mon - Friday .......... yawn wink
Standard User jbpf77
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 15:39:51
Print Post

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Strangely enough, I've just ran Speedtest.net and Broadband speed checker tests, and everything's back to normal! The next tier tech support must have been able to fix it...

BBSC

Thanks for the help though!
Standard User jbpf77
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 15:52:09
Print Post

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Inciidentally I had very similar problems to you about 2 years ago, my connection was dropping and speeds were terrible, loads of noise on the line. Training was running on the line at the same time so my sync rates kept dropping lower and lower, and I kept switching off of ADSL2 onto the other service (the name escapes me, it was a while ago). I was on the phone to Sky tech support and he watched this switch occur and told me that what my line was doing was impossible!

They sent me a new router, twice, and eventually the Sky engineer checked the exchange and found corrosion on a connection on my card (I think). They then got in touch with BT wholesale who argued and said the card was fine, but eventually they replaced it... it still didn't sort it.

They sent another BT engineer out a few weeks later after me badgering Sky, to check everything at my end, and by bribing him with tea and cakes he spent the whole afternoon helping me sort the problem out, starting at the exchange and working back. He eventually replaced something at the cabinet nearest to my house, and my sync rates instantly shot up to the maximum level and the throughput rate was completely fixed too.

Best of luck, I spent over two months battling Sky and BT to get it sorted with them telling me there was nothing wrong with my service, and in the end, there was, faulty equipment.
Standard User jbpf77
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 20:49:31
Print Post

So Sky phoned me back today, I told them the problem had sorted itself out, but he had a play around, and moved me from "service mode" to "gaming mode".. now my sync rate has dropped and my Noise Ratios have gone mad.

Any idea what 0db Upstream Attenuation might indicate?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 16381 kbps 766 kbps
Line Attenuation 25 db 0 db
Noise Margin 7 db 16 db

Before today, I was getting
Line Attenuation 25 db 12 db
Noise Margin 7 db 7 db
  Print Thread

Jump to