User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User charlestown
(newbie) Mon 19-Sep-11 14:46:26
Print Post

Charges when leaving Sky?

[link to this post]

I am not currently with Sky for broadband but considering a move there because I am in a Sky LLU area and £7.50 a month with unlimited bandwidth looks good value since I am currently paying around £27 with a 75 gig limit and finding it hard to stay under that limit every month with several users in the house.

Last week I spoke to my current ISP about possibly moving away and they warned me that if I ever try to leave Sky I would have to pay around £125 for a new BT line and then something like £45 for a new broadband connection. Worse still I could be left for something like 2 weeks with no connection at all. I work from home through the internet so the latter part in particular sounds like a nightmare scenario.

Does anybody know if there is any truth in this claim? I emailed Sky, who called me back rather than writing, which is never a good sign these days and they were vague on the phone about answering this question. I am in an area that should go fibre by February next year and just not sure what to do so I am looking around at different options. If Sky are fast and reliable it's a great deal from my perspective but I'm wary of being trapped in to long agreements having once been stuck with BT...
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:05:31
Print Post

Re: Charges when leaving Sky?

[re: charlestown] [link to this post]

Yes SKY require you to have their line rental, so can be hard going on finding a new provider that require a BT line, I'm sure others will comment on how/if you can get round this! However if you can, i would imagin they will make it as confusing as possible!

My views are my experiences.
(newbie) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:18:45
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

I already do my line rental through Sky but they told me this only changed who I pay. There was no mention that it wasn't still a BT line as such. They said they were basically sub letting the line from BT.

I started putting my calls through Sky a few years ago and only bothered to switch line rental because BT wouldn't stop hassling me to bring my calls back to them. I think I've been through a couple of ISPs since Sky started doing my line rental before and there was never any problem but I'm currently on an LLU connection so perhaps that is why.

In reply to a post by NilSatisOptimum:
Yes SKY require you to have their line rental, so can be hard going on finding a new provider that require a BT line, I'm sure others will comment on how/if you can get round this! However if you can, i would imagin they will make it as confusing as possible!

Edited by charlestown (Mon 19-Sep-11 15:19:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:19:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by charlestown:
I am not currently with Sky for broadband but considering a move there because I am in a Sky LLU area and £7.50 a month with unlimited bandwidth looks good value since I am currently paying around £27 with a 75 gig limit and finding it hard to stay under that limit every month with several users in the house.

Last week I spoke to my current ISP about possibly moving away and they warned me that if I ever try to leave Sky I would have to pay around £125 for a new BT line and then something like £45 for a new broadband connection. Worse still I could be left for something like 2 weeks with no connection at all. I work from home through the internet so the latter part in particular sounds like a nightmare scenario.

Does anybody know if there is any truth in this claim? I emailed Sky, who called me back rather than writing, which is never a good sign these days and they were vague on the phone about answering this question. I am in an area that should go fibre by February next year and just not sure what to do so I am looking around at different options. If Sky are fast and reliable it's a great deal from my perspective but I'm wary of being trapped in to long agreements having once been stuck with BT...
Well what you where told by bt staff, isn't quite true,

as for a start you would not need a new line as such, but it would however require being re-connected to the bt system again,known as Return to donor, bt usually will waive any re connect cages if you take a call plan will line rental, but there are other options too with other telecoms providers and your phone service would only need re connecting if you where fully unbundled by sky ( FMPF /Full llu) where both pone and bb are provided by sky , via the llu kit at your exchange, The going back to bt after sky can mean some downtime( more than if only bb) for both phone and bb

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1109135337.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1088567519.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/29483331.png
Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-09-18 22:29:00)
Download: 14772 Kbit/s
Upload : 1676 kbit/s
Connects : 2808 conn/min
Ping: 11 ms
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:21:51
Print Post

Two types of LLU connection.

Sounds like you are on shared, where it connects to the BT phone system and the Sky broadband hardware.

Full LLU which is what Sky want new users on now, is purely Sky hardware. Generally they will not move you off of your current arrangement without informing you.

Return To Donor and agreeing to 18 month contracts with BT can reduce the cost of moving line rental back, i.e. offers are invariably running.

Alternatively, some other firms will take the phone line back, but most cannot be bothered.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:25:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

At the moment I have line rental and calls through Sky but broadband through Xilo on their 24mbps pro package. I use my own router.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Two types of LLU connection.

Sounds like you are on shared, where it connects to the BT phone system and the Sky broadband hardware.

Full LLU which is what Sky want new users on now, is purely Sky hardware. Generally they will not move you off of your current arrangement without informing you.

Return To Donor and agreeing to 18 month contracts with BT can reduce the cost of moving line rental back, i.e. offers are invariably running.

Alternatively, some other firms will take the phone line back, but most cannot be bothered.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 16:08:10
Print Post

Switching from BT Wholesale to Sky MPF requires engineer work at the exchange and as such is more likely to go wrong than a simple billing switch between different BT Wholesale line rental providers.

It is actually a pretty hit-and-miss affair, it has no standard mechanism like MAC or PAC, and charges seem to vary depending on you ask, and then there's the risk of losing your phone number if the losing provider doesn't play ball. OFCOM really should introduce some kind of switching mechanism for MPF/BTw, similar to MAC and PAC. It's in the MPF providers interest too, it would give people switching much more confidence in the whole system.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-11 17:12:26
Print Post

Which means you are shared LLU, or SMPF in BT speak

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Sep-11 17:26:33
Print Post

Voice only service, (resold bt wholesale product) providing you give any required notice as per the t &c's then switching provider shouldn't be too problematic and if outside the min term no charges from sky, as i can't see why sky would not use the wholesale product for a voice only service, they used to put you on their kit for bb if it was possible,
but as said if the op migrates into sky for bb, then they would fully unbundle the line,
IMO not a wise move

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1109135337.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1088567519.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/29483331.png
Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-09-18 22:29:00)
Download: 14772 Kbit/s
Upload : 1676 kbit/s
Connects : 2808 conn/min
Ping: 11 ms

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 19-Sep-11 17:39:45)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Sep-11 08:14:48
Print Post

The original question isn't answered though by the fact it is currently shared LLU. The OP is looking to sign up to broadband with Sky as well and warned by current ISP that this would make it difficult to move away.

If the OP does sign up to broadband as well as the existing line rental then Sky will almost certainly put it on full LLU. At that point the current ISP is probably correct that moving away from Sky could indeed be difficult, relatively expensive and time consuming.

Personally until ISPs are required to provide a MAC style process for full LLU I will refuse to have telephone and broadband with the same company as at the moment it seems to be full of potential difficulties when you want to change (and I have used a fair few ISPs over the last 10 or so years).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to