User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kampa
(newbie) Sun 02-Oct-11 00:02:38
Print Post

joing sky broadband

[link to this post]

hi i have just joined sky tv today. i have also ordered sky talk and sky broadband, i am moving from bt. i have been told that my new phone service with sky will go live on the 17th oct. i was then told that my sky broadband will go live about 15 days after that. does this mean i will have no broadband for a couple of weeks. i am out of contract with bt but have not told them i am leaving. sky have not asked for a mac code. cheers
Standard User boysteve
(member) Sun 02-Oct-11 17:57:01
Print Post

Re: joing sky broadband

[re: kampa] [link to this post]

i was then told that my sky broadband will go live about 15 days after that. does this mean i will have no broadband for a couple of weeks

Probably,as Sky normally order the broadband after the phoneline is active though 15 days does seem a lot i think its usually around 5.
i am out of contract with bt but have not told them i am leaving

Still have to give notice to BT I think this is 7 days,are you out of contract for phone as well as broadband?

sky have not asked for a mac code.

This is normal when moving to full LLU where Sky take control of the line as well,expect a £30 cease charge from BT by not using the MAC process.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

It's always advisable to obtain a MAC from the losing ISP prior to ordering even if not needed and to confirm you have left when the new ISP starts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited LLU without TV
Line Rental/Calls IDNET
Standard User Kimi
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Oct-11 19:32:33
Print Post

Joined myself last Thursday, i was told to obtain a MAC from o2 and input it on the web site in MySky. but it gave an error, after ringing Sky they told me they can not accept the MAC until after the Phone go's live on the 14th.

Should be no downtime has the MAC is valid for 30 days so I should imagine once the MAC is given to Sky as long has its within the 30 days all should be seamless. We will see.

Edit: Just realised what you meant, maybe there will be downtime after Sky take over the line, in my case o2 require a BT line and has from the 14th it will be a Sky line.

Edited by Kimi (Sun 02-Oct-11 19:35:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kampa
(newbie) Mon 03-Oct-11 00:35:40
Print Post

so it looks like i could be without bb for a while. think i will cancell my order with sky and stick with bt for now
Standard User boysteve
(member) Mon 03-Oct-11 07:04:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by kampa:
so it looks like i could be without bb for a while. think i will cancell my order with sky and stick with bt for now

It is a possibility
There's a thread on AV with a recent timeline someone has posted about a transfer from TT to Sky
http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-broadband/1506770...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited LLU without TV
Line Rental/Calls IDNET
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 18:43:19
Print Post

[re: boysteve] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boysteve:
This is normal when moving to full LLU where Sky take control of the line as well,expect a £30 cease charge from BT by not using the MAC process.

I'm curious to know why BT Wholesale would charge when a line is moved from BT Wholesale to Sky LLU MPF. As far as I was aware, Sky pay Openreach to switch pairs at the exchange, I'm not really sure what work BT Wholesale has to do and why they can justify a charge.

Oliver.
Standard User Mr_Mojo_Risin
(learned) Tue 04-Oct-11 11:17:01
Print Post

[re: Kimi] [link to this post]

"Edit: Just realised what you meant, maybe there will be downtime after Sky take over the line, in my case o2 require a BT line and has from the 14th it will be a Sky line. "

I'm going through the same situation as you, had my phone line moved to Sky on 27th Sep and naturally thought the same as you, O2 require a BT phone line....and so on.....but i'm still on O2 broadband, due to swap to Sky BB tomorrow...5th Oct..

up to now (fingers crossed) it's been pain free...

Death makes angels of us all....
And gives us wings where once
We had shoulders smooth as
Raven's claws......
Standard User Kimi
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Oct-11 17:53:34
Print Post

[re: Mr_Mojo_Risin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mr_Mojo_Risin:
I'm going through the same situation as you, had my phone line moved to Sky on 27th Sep and naturally thought the same as you, O2 require a BT phone line....and so on.....but i'm still on O2 broadband, due to swap to Sky BB tomorrow...5th Oct..

up to now (fingers crossed) it's been pain free...

Thanks for that info, yes fingers crossed smile
Standard User tonym
(member) Tue 04-Oct-11 18:19:05
Print Post

[re: boysteve] [link to this post]

Not always so. There was no charge levied on me when I moved from BT to SKY LLU a couple of years ago.

tonym
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Oct-11 20:26:13
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tonym:

Not always so. There was no charge levied on me when I moved from BT to SKY LLU a couple of years ago.

However..... the charges levied by BTw have changed during the last couple of years, given that BT are always looking for ways to screw a few more quid out of us on any pretext - without a MAC there could easily be a cease charge applied.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot

Edited by warweezil (Tue 04-Oct-11 20:37:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to