User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ryan1
(member) Tue 04-Oct-11 17:33:21
Print Post

House Move = Cr*p Speed

[link to this post]

I recently moved to a new house build that is just 0.4 miles away from here i lived previously and overnight my broadband speed has halved!!!!

I was getting in excess of 6mb before but now can just managed just over 3mb. I am still in DLM testing but as my Line Attenuation is 53 db this looks like the best i'll get frown I can't even stream the iplayer on my PS3 anymore!!!

I can get faster speeds on my iphone via 3g.

BT Infinity is due to launch in my area early 2012 so looks like i'll jump ship unless Sky launch a fibre optic product themselves. Which really p*sses me off as I vowed never to go back to BT but it looks like i have no other choice,
Standard User MikeL
(regular) Tue 04-Oct-11 18:53:30
Print Post

Re: House Move = Cr*p Speed

[re: Ryan1] [link to this post]

I have 55db and get about 4mbps, so you should get a bit more. I installed a iplate on my line and it didn't make a difference straight away, but after I rang sky I went from 1.5mbps and 59db to 4mbps and 55db.

Im sure I was streaming iplayer on ps3 on my 1.5mbps connection! Not tried it recently though.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Tue 04-Oct-11 18:59:59
Print Post

Those are risks when moving to a new build, "end of line so too speak".

BT I GIVE YOU MY LOVE AND ALL YOU WANT IS MY MONEY.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy_boi
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Oct-11 00:52:02
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NilSatisOptimum:
Those are risks when moving to a new build, "end of line so too speak".

What do you mean by this, and what exactly would you call a new build, how many years old would that be?.

Sky Broadband Customer smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-11 09:43:13
Print Post

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

In phone wiring terms, anything built after the bulk of the phone wiring was done in the area. reason being that phone lines are not provided with a view to making them short, but with regard to least network disruption and cost of provision.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krisedwards
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-11 21:42:23
Print Post

I would guess that this is going to be the best but it depends I would suggest waiting until the end of the training period as the speeds may go back up

In regards to what MrSaffron said regarding the the lines this is very true basically what has happened is that you have just been attached onto previous cabling thats already there instead of putting new routes

Also it depends of the quality of cabling in the area ... what what your Line Attenuation at your previous property

Also what are your noise margins low the better
Standard User tommy_boi
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Oct-11 19:23:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But the phone line could still be short, or does it mean if your in a new build then your gonna have a long line no matter what, i've just moved in a house about 8 years old, would that be considered a new build, and would it mean that the line is gonna be long even though the house is only 400 or so metres from the exchange?.

Standard User tommy_boi
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Oct-11 22:09:03
Print Post

Any advice on my last post?.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Oct-11 11:28:25
Print Post

It is a lottery, and depends on the actual wiring in the area and the number of spare pairs, very often the spare pairs are also the noisy ones.

400m by road probably fine, may even be a direct exchange line, which is not good news if FTTC is coming to the area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy_boi
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Oct-11 01:07:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think im about 343 metres by what samknows says, FTTC isn't coming to my area any time soon.

Edited by tommy_boi (Wed 12-Oct-11 01:08:16)

Print Thread

Jump to