User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DonnieDio2000
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 14:59:09
Print Post

TalkTalk to Sky, need info

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of moving from TalkTalk LLU service to Sky LLU, mostly because of the "unlimited" thing. I just need to ask a few questions first.

What's the difference between Sky's LLU connection and TalkTalk's? As in are they both the same ADSL2+ tech?

What's the free router like?

Just to be sure on the price, what I'll pay is line rental (£12.25) and one fee (£7.50) which will include broadband and free calls right? (I already have SkyTV).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Thu 20-Oct-11 15:01:08)

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-11 15:10:00
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk to Sky, need info

[re: DonnieDio2000] [link to this post]

DonnieDio2000,

Before you go any further I would make absolutely sure with TalkTalk themselves, and get it in writing, about the procedures and possible costs of switching from Talktalk full LLU to another full LLU provider, i.e. Sky.

4M2.
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Oct-11 15:36:36
Print Post

HI,

Been connected for a week now, the router is a bit basic, nothing too special but it does the job.

There are ways of "Hacking" it though or you could use your own, just a matter of putting in the settings, I intend to do this once line "Teaching" is complete.

Line activation did take a while, 3 weeks or so, no idea who the line was with before but cost a flat rate tenner for the connection.

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 16:11:03
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Right I've just asked about this on there forums. I don't see why they would be able to charge anything since I'm not contracted to them any more, but its best to ask anyway I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-11 16:24:50
Print Post

Yes, you need to speak to a user accounts manager - generally the regular TalkTalk advisers don't have a "scripted" response to answer and confirm such matters.

What they will probably do is try to tempt you to stay by offering a discounted retention deal involving a new contract initially.
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 17:00:44
Print Post

Yeah they're pretty good on the members forum so they should be able to tell me what I need to know.

A few people have advised me to phone the retention team, and I probably will once I get all the info I need about the possible move. I'm not sure they could offer a deal that would get me to stay though. I mean I've been very happy with TalkTalk, but at the end of the day they don't offer an unlimited package and they can't offer Anytime+.

EDIT: Been told they actually do offer an unlimited package.

But its mostly the usage thing that's making me want to move. Since I joined TalkTalk I've never gone over 40GB. But last month I got a letter saying I'd used 76GB and to make sure it didn't happen this month. I thought there must be some kind of mistake, because I hadn't downloaded much more than I have in the past. But I decided it didn't really matter since they hadn't charged me for it, until I checked my usage again this month. 10 days in and apparently I'd used 37GB!, totally impossible IMO. I was going to complain, and then I got a letter through the door saying that Sky Unlimited was now available in my area, read up about it and Anytime+ and thought why bother complaining to talktalk? I can just go to Sky and never have to think about download usage again, and get Anytime+ and all for slightly less than I'm paying now.

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Thu 20-Oct-11 17:08:59)

Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-11 17:32:43
Print Post

DonnieDio2000,

Are you using a wireless connection between the router and the computer? If so somebody could be piggybacking on your broadband and stealing some of your bandwidth...

It's fairly easy for anyone to do if the wireless security isn't set to at least WPA and you are using the default wireless name and wireless key (SSID and preshare key.)
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 17:52:58
Print Post

Yeah I thought about that, but my wireless is on WPA2-PSK with a custom key.

Good suggestion though.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-11 18:08:08
Print Post

..and only known devices are on the network?
(newbie) Fri 21-Oct-11 12:47:58
Print Post

Yeah whenever I've checked, though no way to tell if anyone was using it late at night. Seems very unlikely with WPA2 but I changed my key again last week just to make sure.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to