User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-11 10:09:03
Print Post

Re: vpn

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Well, it just works for me, but this is on the latest Sky Dlink. No setup required.

Too many types of VPN - for example:

1) PPTP
2) Native IPsec
3) IPsec encapsulated in UDP
4) SSL

The first two generally need the router to assist, in many cases "VPN passthru" or similar options need to be enabled. My clients use 2 only, which is the hardest to get working. Older Cisco VPN uses 2 only, but newer and "AnyConnect" can use 4.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 02-Dec-11 19:33:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Both 1) and 2) work for me. I haven't tried OpenVPN or 4).
But we are talking about the client being behind the Sky router, not the server.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Dec-11 23:20:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Both 1) and 2) work for me. I haven't tried OpenVPN or 4).

Does OpenVPN do 3 then? I know Cisco Anyconnect does 4.

But we are talking about the client being behind the Sky router, not the server.

Correct, a VPN server needs to be on a real static routed IP smile Hosting a VPN server (or concentrator in cisco speak) behind a NAT is a labour of love wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Dec-11 21:40:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I have a VPN server behind a NAT on a dynamic IP, but I suspect you mean something else.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Dec-11 08:21:38
Print Post

I doubt they do.

VPN servers behind NAT while feasible can be difficult to setup, hence the preference by many for a VPN server hosted in the router itself.

Now I do expect you to have a suitably obtuse response, that reveals nothing of the technical way in which you operate this VPN behind NAT.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 06-Dec-11 19:55:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I doubt they do.

VPN servers behind NAT while feasible can be difficult to setup, hence the preference by many for a VPN server hosted in the router itself.
That's a good point, I'll bet the router manages to host a VPN server on a dynamic IP.

Setup info here: http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Configuring-PPTP-...

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Dec-11 20:16:46
Print Post

PPTP is doable (heck it was half designed by Microsoft who think about end/home users)

Original IPsec is a big problem; I'm told, but then there were modifications to the IPsec protocol design, but the problem is not all vendors implemented these optional parts. Original IPsec was intended for data centre to data centre (fw to fw) type links.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to