User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Dec-11 16:33:00
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband Trial

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adamant:
What's the deal with the way BT runs FTTC? I've not looked into it that much, do BT Retail own the VDSL Concentrator in the cab or is it Openreach equipment?

Openreach own the cab and the VDSL DSLAM in the street - in the same way they own the PCP and other cabing to the exchange.

Will Sky be able to just use the fibre to the exchange and then, at that point, jump onto their LLU network or would they have to use BT 21CN to transit their data?

It is understood that is available. Only TalkTalk are known to use this service so far. Other ISPs offering Fibre products are using 21CN.

If the latter, are we not going to see almost as poor service as Connect from their FTTC service if an when it ever arrives?

Connect is extremely poor, but I thought wasn't using 21CN but actually the old 20CN.

Any Connect users on 21CN and/or faster than 8meg?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sat 31-Dec-11 16:33:11)

Standard User connormill
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 01:46:29
Print Post

[re: ScubaGirl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ScubaGirl:
However, staff members have been using Sky FTTC trial connection for some time now and last summer a trial was set up in South Harrow for Sky FTTP.

And it never went much further than that from what I understand. My exchange (Aberdeen Denburn) is due to go FTTC soon and I can't even get anything out of sky with regards to FTTC, no staff trial or anything.

At the moment I don't pay from my BB so can;t really complain, but I would consider switching (and therefore paying for) BT Infinity to get the faster speeds, especially upload,

Hope they get the finger out for FTTC, as it's clearly the future, they can't ignore it.

And if openreach bump it up to 80mbps as planned. even better!

Sky 16Mb for
Standard User ScubaGirl
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 10:19:24
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

Judging by what people who work for Sky are posting, you are not alone.

Sky is indeed keeping their plans for Fibre very quiet at the moment. There have been various news stories posted on this site over the past few years on what Sky are doing. Ultimately anything is possible though.

The odd 'rumour' gets posted, but the longer that they keep this quiet, the more business they lose IMHO.

With regards to staff trials, they weren't given to all staff members. I would have thought that by now they would have enough information to make business decisions now, which is what any trials are ultimately for.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Tue 03-Jan-12 11:08:59
Print Post

[re: ScubaGirl] [link to this post]

I personally think its a pricing thing...

Can they offer FTTC for £7.50 whilst maintaining truly unlimited usage?
Probably not.
Standard User connormill
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 11:36:16
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I personally think its a pricing thing...

Can they offer FTTC for £7.50 whilst maintaining truly unlimited usage?
Probably not.

Well, you say that.

But, If someone said to me that you could get Unlimited "20mb" broadband for £7.50/month I would think it wasn't possible.

If I was to take a guess I would say £12.50-£15 for fibre would be fair and in line with the current pricing structure.

BUT, for the record, I DO work for Sky, but have NOTHING to do with pricing or broadband rollouts.

So don't quote me! tongue

Sky 16Mb for
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Tue 03-Jan-12 11:46:16
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

I think, although might be incorrect.

With sky LLU, sky own the network and hence do not have to pay BT for usage / backhaul.

Whereas with Fibre in it's current form sky would be paying BT which would be more costly.

Until Sky can somehow bypass this I'm unsure if we will see a FTTC product.

Of course I might be completely incorrect with this. It was just my chain of thoughts.

I've read that Sky were considering rolling out their own cabinets. (of course it's all hearsay)
Standard User connormill
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 11:55:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I think, although might be incorrect.

With sky LLU, sky own the network and hence do not have to pay BT for usage / backhaul.

Whereas with Fibre in it's current form sky would be paying BT which would be more costly.

Until Sky can somehow bypass this I'm unsure if we will see a FTTC product.

Of course I might be completely incorrect with this. It was just my chain of thoughts.

I've read that Sky were considering rolling out their own cabinets. (of course it's all hearsay)

To be honest I'm not sure, but I think that Sky would only pay BT for the link between the Cab and the Exchange.

The link from the Exchange to the Internet is still part of Sky's existing backhaul network.

But like I say that could be wrong

Sky 16Mb for
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Tue 03-Jan-12 11:56:04
Print Post

They'll follow TalkTalk.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Tue 03-Jan-12 12:05:12
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

What are talk talk doing? Their website only lets me find out if I enter my landline (which doesn't help as I don't have FTTC here yet).

I can get FTTC in my other address but don't have a landline here (well I don't use it)

I had hoped Sky would inform us sooner.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 03-Jan-12 12:05:44)

Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Tue 03-Jan-12 12:06:02
Print Post

GEA. The connection is handed over to TT at the exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to