User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-12 11:51:33
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband Trial

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

I think Top Up TV sells Sky Sports (standalone) cheaper than Sky do in a bundle. Not sure if it fits your requirements though.

Oliver.
Standard User CJ8
(regular) Tue 24-Jan-12 00:30:28
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
I think Top Up TV sells Sky Sports (standalone) cheaper than Sky do in a bundle. Not sure if it fits your requirements though.
Thanks, yes I looked at that and I still have a Setanta Sports cam which probably still works with a TopUp TV subscription but they only do SS1&2 (&ESPN) and not in HD. Also I understand SS1&2 may not be available on DTT for much longer as BT plan to move it onto the IPTV part of the Vision service to save money. Hopefully BT will be able to upgrade to the HD versions at that point.
Standard User dustofnations
(member) Tue 24-Jan-12 02:02:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
IPTV is hardly new to the UK, BT was there before 2000 with trials

HomeChoice existed since the inception of ADSL, now part of TalkTalk.

BT Vision is not affected by the throttling, in fact it is given the priority and only needs 2 Mbps, which some 90% of the country can get, i.e. better coverage than Freeview.

Now having seen NetFlix at £5.99 in the UK, can say the quality is same as the US, and Sky needs to pay attention, £16 for movies + £10 for the HD.

The more competition in that arena the better, although the movie industry have proven they will squeeze on the neck when they think there is more money to be extracted (see Netflix in US).

The situation with sports is particularly dire. The piffling measures that were finally taken to yank BSB's fingers from practically all of the rights just ended up with a new premium operator (ESPN/Setanta), but no reduction in price from Sky.

The correct answer was not to simply force some live sports rights elsewhere (thereby causing sports enthusiasts get whacked multiple times), but instead to ensure it is available from *multiple* broadcasters. This is much like the situation with Netflix and LoveFilm, or just about any real competitive environment.

Plus, the idea of paying a fortune to BSB, and then being bombarded with adverts is more than slightly repulsive.

In reply to a post by ScubaGirl:
Sky will be watching things, as always.

As for pricing, to add the movie packs, you can add 12 movie channels for an additional £16 per month with Sky.

<snip>

Just out of interest, do you work for Sky, or any Newscorp related biz (directly/indirectly)?

Edited by dustofnations (Tue 24-Jan-12 02:07:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to