User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doct
(newbie) Wed 14-Dec-11 13:06:17
Print Post

Phone not working after activation of broadband

[link to this post]

I finally had my broadband activated on 12th about five weeks after phoneline was connected but since my phone stopped working.
Contacted sky couple of times they say my line is clear and problem may be at my end.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Wed 14-Dec-11 13:46:17
Print Post

Re: Phone not working after activation of broadband

[re: doct] [link to this post]

Have you tried removing all broadband equipment including router and filters then check if phone works. Might be a faulty filter
Standard User doct
(newbie) Thu 15-Dec-11 11:58:19
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I have done all that even bought a new wired phone and plugged it to the master socket as adviced by SKY no luck. Sky customer service promised to ring me back on my mobile. No response yet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ScubaGirl
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-11 09:21:09
Print Post

I trust that this has been resolved by now.

There are several reasons for a line not working and someone should have been able to get the ball rolling on this promptly. A common fault that will fit in with this described problem is one of the two wires to the exchange has a break.

If it is still down, call again and ask someone to call you back straight away on your mobile. Be calm and polite and explain that you are unable to call on your telephone line, but that your broadband is Ok.
Standard User Nessy57
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-11 18:58:54
Print Post

There is the possibility that someone at the exchange has switched of your landline .
This happened to me earlier this year I had Broadband but no phone for 3 weeks.

turned out to be a mistake by an engineer When I moved from Sky to BT and for some reason the BB was switched on but the landline for some reason was not.It took three weeks to sort out .I also ended up with a new phone number .

Edited by Nessy57 (Sat 17-Dec-11 19:02:20)

Standard User doct
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-11 19:02:46
Print Post

[re: ScubaGirl] [link to this post]

Unfortunately it is still not resolved. I have called Sky three times now and none of the promise callbacks happened.
Yesterday it was passed on to the "senior team " after calling the feed back team and they asked time till Tuesday night to find out what went wrong!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Dec-11 19:14:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by doct:
problem may be at my end.
Still their responsibility to sort out if you have no tone at test socket.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 17-Dec-11 19:42:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by doct:
I finally had my broadband activated on 12th about five weeks after phoneline was connected but since my phone stopped working.
Contacted sky couple of times they say my line is clear and problem may be at my end.

Try at the test socket. If nothing they need to sort it which prob needs an openreach engineer.
Standard User ScubaGirl
(newbie) Sat 17-Dec-11 20:48:43
Print Post

As has been stated, if you can plug a phone into the Test Socket, then it is the responsibility of your line provider. Since all new Sky BB connections now have to have Sky Talk, I'll assume that Sky are your line providers.

Do you know what & where the Test Socket is? If you don't I'll briefly describe it for you: On some BT Master Sockets you will find a split faceplate. Remove the split faceplate and behind it you will find what looks like a standard telephone socket. This is the Test Socket. This kind of Master Socket is also known as an NTE5 socket, but it isn't installed in all homes.

There is no harm in picking up the telephone and asking nicely what is happening. The senior team is known as the Customer Solutions Team (CST) and sometimes they may take around 72 hours to respond. Since your support call has already been passed to them, you should be promptly forwarded to them and you should not have to go though the standard checklist all over again.

The problem should be very easy to identify and a BTO Engineer is likely to be required to fix it.

For reference, you are responsible for the internal telephone wiring in your home after the Master or Test socket. Your line Provider is responsible for the wiring between the Master/Test socket and the telephone exchange. BTO are the only firm allowed to operate on the telephone lines between our homes and the telephone exchanges.

(The only exceptions are Private telephone companies who have installed their systems, Cable companies when using their own equipment & Kingston Communications (Hull)).
Standard User doct
(newbie) Sun 18-Dec-11 10:59:58
Print Post

[re: ScubaGirl] [link to this post]

Thanks for everyone. I have tried the test socket still same results.
There is a dial tone when I pick up the phone but get a engaged type tone when any button is pressed (long short bleeps).
When I try to call in there is no sound at all call ends. I suppose I will wait till Tuesday night when I was promised a call back.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to