User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-11 15:34:32
Print Post

Faulty router charge

[link to this post]

So I just got off the phone with Sky as I think my router is on its last legs. Did the usual troubleshooting [censored] and managed to convince her that the router is at fault as you cannot access the device when it crashes.

They told me as due to it being out of warranty I have to foot a £35 bill - which seems ridiculous as they provide you with the router, yet don't allow you to connect your own.

I respectfully declined the offer and said I would wait until it dies completely.

What are your experiences with this?

Edited by Kiggs (Wed 28-Dec-11 15:58:22)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 28-Dec-11 15:52:57
Print Post

Re: Faulty router charge

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

Get another off of ebay. So long as it is a working SKY router it will work on your line

IanD
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-11 16:15:13
Print Post

I asked them recently if there was anything to stop Sky from charging out-of-warranty broadband customers £100 for replacement routers, which they'd either have to pay or cancel their broadband contract (or visit ebay as suggested). The answer I got suggested there isn't.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-11 16:42:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
So I just got off the phone with Sky as I think my router is on its last legs. Did the usual troubleshooting [censored] and managed to convince her that the router is at fault as you cannot access the device when it crashes.

They told me as due to it being out of warranty I have to foot a £35 bill - which seems ridiculous as they provide you with the router, yet don't allow you to connect your own.

I respectfully declined the offer and said I would wait until it dies completely.

What are your experiences with this?
I 'm a little surprised at the attitude from sky, as they are insistent on customers using the router that they supply,And more so that if you have a potential fault with your connection,How could they troubleshoot without first sending out a replacement router? it seems that by asking for a replacement they thought that they would and try & extract some extra wonga out of you,

On another note any compatible router will work, you just need the sky log on details ,connect using PPPOA

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 28-Dec-11 16:47:18)

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Wed 28-Dec-11 19:19:33
Print Post

I had this. They refused to replace the router so I asked for cancellations who also refused. I asked them to escalate this and got a callback within a day offering a free router.

If it's a choice of losing a customer or a new router. They'll send you one out.

Infact I got two (presumably by mistake). I'd send you the spare but no idea where they are
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Dec-11 23:04:49
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the offer mate, though I'm hoping that they send me one after firing an e-mail off to their support staff. They're usually pretty helpful.

Will let you know how I get on.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Thu 29-Dec-11 08:54:34
Print Post

I find this interesting and wonder if it may be a Trading Standards issue.

I have no doubt they have the right to insist their equipment is used, it is after all a part of the contract you sign up to and is reasonably up front if you look for it.

What is not clear to me is what happens when the equipment they supplied breaks down out of warranty. I do feel that at the initial sign up that information should be provided, with an indication of likely costs of replacement as it has a bearing on the suitability of the contract....... facts you need to know....... for it is at their insistence that their equipment is used.......a condition that extends beyond the initial contract period.

As it stands you are a hostage to fortune because it is Sky who insist their equipment is used. It may be even more pertinent now as all new customers are full LLU with the added complications involved if they want to move.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User J_Walsh
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Dec-11 09:50:03
Print Post

Do you own the equipment after a year? Just cancelled sky if thats the case you can have mine? smile

BT Infinity

Speedtest
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:40:37
Print Post

[re: J_Walsh] [link to this post]

IIRC the equipment is your property from day one of the contract. When using Sky you are obliged to use it.

I have seen the odd post where when leaving Sky they flash the router to the original makers configuration and use it for the new ISP, or sell it on. This used to be for the original Netgear, not sure about the newer stuff.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User J_Walsh
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:55:51
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. Offer stands for op just send address in pm and its yours smile

BT Infinity

Speedtest

Edited by J_Walsh (Thu 29-Dec-11 11:02:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to