User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Thu 05-Jan-12 13:18:03
Print Post

How 2 transfer movies/programs/settings 2 new 1tb skybox?

[link to this post]

My Sky contract ends at the end of next month so, I decided to get a new one tb sky box as my current one (standard) has been faulty for over 2 1/2 weeks or more.

My current skybox is still under warranty but with Campbell and Kennedy (the installers, crepe to the extreme). I would therefore have the pay £65 to them to look at the flipping–blinking dish (communal?!) And then checkout the box that they installed? No chance! No way!!
I contacted the factors for the building and they said that they would be able to check dish and the skybox for free, result!

I decided to get the larger one TB skybox from sky themselves so as never to have 2 deal with Campbell & Kennedy ever again. I could go into a lot more details about them but wants but won't. They are money grabbing so-and-so's (I am being the most polite for no reason, scum) but never mind, it is only sky that I now deal with…
This means that I shall only deal with sky from now on, I'm very happy at that and it shall be a new contract for the year. Yes!!

So back to the subject line, any ideas on how to transfer thovies etc from the old skybox to the new one once it gets sorted by sky, I shall ask this sky engineer once he gets it working again but can you good people please advise me on all possible solutions… And yes, I am also thinking of houch to 'tip' the engineer if that was the only way?
Any and all help gratefully appreciated as always.
MTIA… smile

Standard User Duck
(regular) Thu 05-Jan-12 15:30:06
Print Post

Re: How 2 transfer movies/programs/settings 2 new 1tb skybox

[re: Guest_Again] [link to this post]

Not sure you're in the right forum here but I don't think you can transfer settings from one $ky box to another - you start from scratch with the new one.

Orange Max
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jan-12 15:49:19
Print Post

[re: Duck] [link to this post]

There is software out there that allows you to do it on the older boxes. Since the Sky HD update to Darwin those don't work. However, I have seen posts on another forum that there is a Darwin copier in existence (possibly in beta at the moment). You have to take the hard disks out of the sky boxes and connect them up to a PC running the software.

Do a google for "darwin disc copier" and you will find some links that might help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 05-Jan-12 19:28:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Looks good http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6...

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
(legend) Sat 07-Jan-12 11:46:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

and very many thanks to all here that replied to my original post, it has been very much appreciated!
Cheers guys! smile

I absolutely detest Campbell & Kennedy with a passion and have managed to get a sky engineer to come out and install my 1 TB skybox instead. From now on I shall be very much happier regarding this. It is the way it should be.

It could (old skybox) just be kept as a spare or, I could sell it (?), I just don't care atm, that hasn't been the best start to the New Year, but nothing beats me… much. Was wondering whether or not that stuff for the old skybox could be done on a Mac, now have plenty of time to look into that at some point. I still have my big PC through in my other room and may see if there is anyway possible to plug my old skybox into the PC? Any ideas on that one?? winkwink

again, many thanks for everything so far guys!! grin

And for what it's worth, Glasgow City Council have sent out some satellite engineers to check the dish and the skybox just there! I was told that they wouldn't be able to check my skybox... they did and my signal is even better than before. It was the dish that had moved after all. Thankfully. So the New Year is turning out not too bad after all. smile

If anyone could please help advise on the old skybox going in to the PC that would be great. As a matter of interest sky are offering 6 months free on the broadband so, I enquired about it. I have 2 phone lines (Be on one, 2nd one free) so I phoned about it. All was going well until they said eventually that I would need to let them take over my line… No chance! ' But you will save money in the long run', oh no I wouldn't, I have already paid for a year in advance for my BT line and save money on that. NIce try sky LOL. No chance! smile

Edited by Guest_Again (Sat 07-Jan-12 13:26:48)

Standard User The_Jimster
(committed) Sat 07-Jan-12 22:08:33
Print Post

regards the broadband - i had it for a good few years, just cut in in the last month or so only reason was speed

i got 3.5meg on a bt based line top speed - but rock solid 24/7 so absolutly no complaints about the service
but
virgin just installed some lines here in the last 18-24 months, now FINALLY able to order from them !!! running on a 30 meg download limit is so much nicer

yes if i download on virgin i need to work around the traffic limits but thats fine - massive speed boost is real nice !!!

so if you do get sky in their LLU area (do NOT touch connect service with a barge pole) then you will also get anytime+ which was quite good and on my 3.5 meg line it only took a few seconds to buffer enough of a SD program so i never caught up for real time viewing

for HD stuff it took about a minute or so to then start viewing that, dont know if it would then be real time or not (if buffer requirements etc) as never tested it, but you can line up a bundle of stuff for d/load and it goes thru them one at a time so you can watch all you want

only thing i miss from my BT line as i still get tv from sky not virgin
(legend) Mon 09-Jan-12 18:54:34
Print Post

[re: The_Jimster] [link to this post]

Hi Jimster, thanks for the info, it is very interesting that you can use a different ISP on skys box. Very good to know!

I was going to take them up on their six-month free broadband offer but, they insisted that I took sky on my phone line. There is no way I would. The reason being is that I save money paying BT upfront for 1 1/2 years line rental - it was originally just for one year but I made sure that it was for the extra 6 months instead. More money saved on it for me. wink

I was going to use skys LLU on it (my Be line is on a different line in the house), I have absolutely no reason to let them touch my other phone line (which was installed for line bonding). I get free calls 24/7 on both lines anyway so no reason to let them touch it LOL.

All I need to do is find the appropriate wireless dongle for the back of the skybox. Problem would be solved!
Sky refused to sell me just the wireless dongle but, no worries ha ha ha ha. I'll maybe check Amazon for one 2nd hand?! I do not want to touch fleabay, no chance. I-(

Thanks again for the very helpful info, Jim, it was very useful and much appreciated. Cheers! I-)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jan-12 08:01:47
Print Post

Hi Jimster, thanks for the info, it is very interesting that you can use a different ISP on skys box

Not sure what you mean by this? The Sky Box does not need an ISP at all for normal use. However, if it is Anytime+ then it has to currently be Sky LLU. Suggestions have been made that this restriction will be lifted this year but so far I don't think there has been any official announcement or timescales.

Connecting a Sky box to a different ISP at the moment does absolutely nothing except allow the Sky box to pick up an IP address.
(legend) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:32:00
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, Ian. smile

That answers that one out perfectly for me, you have saved me a few squids buying anything! Cheers for that.

It's only a pity too, but never mind.
I'd definitely just keep things the way they are now… my sky is working the way should now so, no problem.

Thanks again for sorting that one out for me. wink

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jan-12 14:56:16
Print Post

You're welcome, glad to help.

Hopefully sky will extend Anytime+ to other ISPs in the next few months but until I see someone from Sky officially confirm it I will not hold my breath (although I am on sky broadband and whilst I used anytime+ when I first had it I haven't used it for ages because the amount of content is not all that great, ok for movies but TV series is rubbish).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to