User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 07-Jan-12 00:12:56
Print Post

New Line

[link to this post]

Had a new line installed today with sky talk...
There was a spare line hanging down the wall outside. It only reached the top of the front door where it had been cut

The engineer connected the extra cabling with Sellotape as he had no junction boxes..

I NEEDED the line at the back of the property. Well he wasn't happy about that. His first reaction 'It aint gonna happen.'

Oh yes it was going to happen. I paid for this and I should get what I want
He then rang his friend and was swearing his head off, going "i've got a massive f off job" etc...

He then left all of the wiring unclipped from the exterior wall and claimed he couldn't do anything as it was 'too dark.' Probably out of spite that he had to run it to the back of the property...

And to top to all off. The master socket was left hanging by the wire, not connected to the wall.

He left saying 'its a cowboy job but ill come back and sort it out over the next few weeks.' Really not good enough

I was fuming naturally. I took the NTE5 to bits myself and nailed it to the wall. Sorry BT, i know I shouldn't but that takes the michael.

I am just in disbelief really at how bad open reach have performed. I have contacted Sky to hopefully get someone out to do this properly. Shame on them.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 07-Jan-12 00:13:48)

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 07-Jan-12 01:07:49
Print Post

Re: New Line

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Here's photos of the taped wiring that he left

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/photo1fyl.jpg/

I am not the kind of person to take things like this without a fight and he still managed to leave me with it.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Jan-12 01:25:59
Print Post

You should lodge a formal complaint; not just about his workmanship but also about his behaviour.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Jan-12 10:52:24
Print Post

Yeah I think I too would be on the phone about the whole episode. The job sounds like it falls short of reasonable expectations of workmanlike quality.

I had a similar thing with Telewest some years back when they cabled my flat (including boxes in each bedroom. The job ended up with staples through coax and cables stopping doors closing properly.

Complain but don't rant, remind them that they need to demonstrate workmanlike quality, and reasonable skill and care. I find that controlled outrage is very effective. I invited the installations manager round for coffee and bikkies to inspect the installation, he wasn't pleased with what he saw.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune" - I dont see how they can refuse or be difficult about a reasonable request concerning the location of the master socket on installation - especially if the line is for broadband use and your intent is to have the socket on the same side of the house as the router.

BT need to be brought into line with other contractors in this, the days of dictating that the supply point goes in the hall should be a thing of the past - its not like they install for free.

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
Standard User vodoun
(regular) Sun 08-Jan-12 05:40:28
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by warweezil:
BT need to be brought into line with other contractors in this, the days of dictating that the supply point goes in the hall should be a thing of the past - its not like they install for free.

It's not like they're doing this job for free either. Isn't it terrible they get paid for this, it's their job and coming out to a customer to sort a problem is such a burden to them.

Isn't it also frightening how terrible working ethics have become. Or the truth is the majority of the UK when it comes to work are just downright lazy.

Getting paid for a job should be changed, maybe thats when the respect and priorities would change. If you do a good thorough work assignment you should get the entitled pay. Do the above what the OP has experienced and their should be no pay. Think of the amount of money companies would save and we would get less of a lazy nation and a more enthusiastic drivable workforce.

Remember the Fedex monitor parcel problem several weeks ago?...

--------
Too much knowledge is dangerous!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-12 09:02:27
Print Post

You have raised this with BT complaints?

Was it a full Openreach employee or a contractor?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Tue 10-Jan-12 16:15:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It was done via kelly communications
I contacted sky regarding this and have logged everything however I have not had a response yet
I have not gone direct via bt open reach - not sure how too?

The engineer rang me before he arrived so I had his number
On Sunday the broadband and phone line went off completely... The cabling was still taped ok.
I gave the engineer a callback as he did the work - he should resolve it.
He admitted it was a cowboy job and arranged to come monday morning at 8am to resolve it.

Anyway 8am sunday, no knock at the door. I waited.
Eventually I heard a van start up. Ran to the front door where the engineer was, driving away.
He saw me, stopped and said he had finished everything...
The taped connection he said now had a bt junction box.

The issue was not resolved though. The broadband and phone were actually not working as the master was faulty where IDC A & B are right at the back.
The whole section needed replacing...
When he replaced this, the services came back on.
Had I not caught him before he left, the broadband and phone still wouldn't have worked.
I also made him clip the wiring to the walls...

Anyway. Now that he's left, I noticed that the taped connection has been replaced with some giant black circular connector which I've never seen before (& I have a good knowledge of standard junction boxes). In all of the confusion I didn't double check this before he left.

Anyone know what this is? I'm not happy with it, especially as it's hanging just above the front door. It's not the standard BT 66 box which I've seen often.

It's hanging just above height level and it's not attached to the wall.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/connectorl....

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 10-Jan-12 16:16:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jan-12 17:19:31
Print Post

Temporary external joint repair box, i.e. weather proof, my line has one on the pole just down the road, though been their 18 months or more now. So will last.

Rules for use on outside of property I am not sure. Usually BT is tidier than that though e.g. the BT 66 you mention, guessing he didn't have one in the van.

Private Message me, and I'll let you have the BT CEO email address, which will then filter down.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User underzone
(member) Thu 12-Jan-12 08:16:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

"It was done via kelly communications"... says it all!

No way BT openreach would do a job like that... They have all the gear and all the kit!

Edited by underzone (Thu 12-Jan-12 08:16:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Jan-12 08:24:12
Print Post

[re: underzone] [link to this post]

Must agree, generally BT engineering is usually just that engineering of a good standard.

Hopefully poster has now submitted a complaint, and someone will get pulled up over this standard of work and get corrected.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to