User comments on ISPs
  >> Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User moskolio
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-12 12:14:40
Print Post

Migration and Training Period Questions

[link to this post]

Hello

I am moving from adsl24 to SKY Unlimited BB at an exchange with SKY LLU soon and i am planning to use my Billion 7800N modem/router (i am aware about the "using their equipment policy" and i am also aware on how to get my user/pass from their router)

I am however wondering, should i leave their modem/router for the training period or should i use mine from day1?

If you are kind enough to reply to this post could you also explain why i should use their router or mine for the training period?

If i do use my Billion 7800N should i "play" with the SNR settings from day1 or leave it to default for the training period? Again, if you reply could you please explain why?

Finally, i live very far from the exchange and since it was upgraded to adsl2+ i have found that my connection is a bit faster and a bit more stable if i connect using the old G.Dmt modulation rather than the new adsl2+ one. Will i still be able to connect with G.Dmt with SKY or is it strictly adsl2+?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and replies

These are some typical current line stats without any SNR tweaks:
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 800
Downstream 2880
SNR Margin(Upstream) 6.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 8.6
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 62.0
Standard User underzone
(member) Wed 18-Jan-12 13:34:18
Print Post

Re: Migration and Training Period Questions

[re: moskolio] [link to this post]

I used my own Netgear DG834GT router after training, and reduced my snr to 3db... It did me no favours, just caused resyncs. I have switched back to the sky supplied router (which has the same Broadcom chipset). I would suggest you just use the supplied router from day 1.

(staff) Wed 18-Jan-12 19:03:24
Print Post

62db attenuation and 2880 Kbps is pretty good. The 8.6dB margin suggests some scope for going a bit faster, let the Sky system do its stuff and see if they lower the margin automatically.

Failing that if your SNR margins are stable between light and dark hours, then put in a request for the gaming profile.

If the Sky modem proves reliable I would suggest stay with it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flamey
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-12 19:36:19
Print Post

Using your 7800n from day1 is fine, it has a broadcom chipset the same as the svbn equipment so this is good.

I wouldn't advise any snr tweaks until the training period is over however, as DLM could cap you lower because your margin will continually be dropping far below the target and could be creating more crc errors.

You can be manually changed to a G.DMT profile after the 10day training has finished by phoning sky, as you say this usually results in a better experience on long lines.

Edited by flamey (Wed 18-Jan-12 19:38:24)

Print Thread

Jump to